Permission to enter "The Club"

cruisaire

13 hours is a nice start, but I see this is your first post.

Congrats on your Heresy purchase and good job on taking the road trip. I take it you've done your readings. Good. Welcome to the Madness, as I always say.

Now traditionally, we require a bit more write-up about the 'adventure'. How the purchase came about, the speakers' condition, why you decided on Klipsch and why the trip. Did your hosts have other Klipsch in the house, did you get a tour of their HT or listening room (this is a 'hat's off tribute to what is normally a visit to another Forum Members house). And at least one tale of mystery of something interesting on the journey. Where'd ya eat, what was the beverage of choice along the way, anyone go with ya? Ding Dongs or Nutty Bars? Those kinds of things.

With that writeup, we'll get you into the club. Also, why Brubeck, and which piece was it? I'll bet 'Take Five', it's one of the classics around here.

DizRotus fired 'Take Five' up on his laptop computer in the truck stop parking lot when he picked up a pair of beater LaScalas from me about two months ago. He actually had a beautiful cable he'd made that was the 3.5 stereo plug from the laptop output to dual alligator clips for trying out speakers. (now there's a road story for ya)

ready, set, go!

Michael

Thanks Gents (and Gal)! Okay, here goes. While I have a few years under my belt at AA, AK, and other audio sites, I was only a penniless lurker here. Destined to be Klipsch-less given my fondness for used McIntosh (mostly funded by thrift store "turns") and paying the dreaded "family man bills". Then last January my boss asked me the all important question, "What would you buy for yourself if money were not an issue?". The word "Klipsch" sprang forth before I knew it. LaScalas were the target. "Have a good year and a pair might come your way, young man." Now, our company year wasn't as good as it could have been. But the Big Guy remembered "Klipsch" and asked me again last week about what we might be able to do.

I visited the usual auction web site and was amused at the condition and prices that the Heresy is commanding these days. Armed with the knowledge, I visited "Don Corleone". He smiled at the cost (under $500 for the pair) and said yes. Now things got tricky because I had to find a pair that were worthy of "a gift to me" from the Boss. I visited A'gon and found these lovelies in North Carolina. The seller is a dealer in 2-channel systems and he said he had taken them as a trade-in from the original owner. The catch was shipping. He knew enough not to ship them and have 'em busted up. I was too cheap to pay for freight charges (hell, I do own a pickup!). Okay, 420 miles each way ain't that bad. I've been doing that every third weekend since Katrina hit rebuilding my folks house in Biloxi.

Saturday morning, 4:15 and I'm awake before the alarm goes off and stirs the already "audio-annoyed" Mrs. from her slumber. My severe sinus attack is pounding in my head, but I'm on a mission. Gas up the truck, 32 ounces of black coffee, and more than one antihistamine and we're good to go. A cop at the gas station had just investigated a drunk driver crash a couple of miles or so away and said the driver was missing part of his skull (he said you could see his brain) and he had still run from the police (until he passed out). Geesh! Six and a half hours later (and more than a few cough drops and more black coffee) and I pull into the driveway and spot the Heresy's sitting there on a table. I instantly knew why I made the drive and those sinuses quit bothering me. I walk into the listening room (a windowless, echo-free oasis) at Serious Hi-Fi and after I finish staring at the interior and listening to the sounds, I could only utter, "I'm here for the Klipsch". Dale was cool and helped me load them inside my little pick-up (ride in the bed? I think not!). Back to Hotlanta with one behind the seat and my arm resting on the other.

Brubeck? I liked him before I tasted tubes. REALLY like him now. "Indiana" from Jazz: Red, Hot, and Cool.

Welcome, I have a pair of Heresys that look just like yours. Mine are from 1984, and upgraded of course. Love em, sound just right in the room they are in. Congratulations on your purchase, just enjoy them for awhile before you make any change ideas. To components that is, not the speakers.

Jeff

I like this new cruisaire guy, well spoken, good vocabulary, excellent storyteller. Not bad at adventuring either.

So Welcome indeed, to the madness, as we say 'round these parts.

I especially liked the fact that these were a 'bonus' speaker purchase, the personal attention to transport and the multiple pill/caffiene intake. Well done. Bonus points for the police story. I can feel the pain from your sinuses. But did you hook em up for the ride home? Bet you talked to em all the way home!

Oh, the utterance 'I'm here for the Klipsch', - priceless.

You, sir, are definitely in the Club, congratulations. My eyes are watering from laughing right now.

Please fill in your user profile through the 'control panel', perhaps pick an avatar or upload a pic, and post often!

Michael

Nice thread fellas, reminds me of a little song by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour.

'There's no way out of Here'

There's no way out of here, when you come in you're in for good

There was no promise made, the part you've played, the chance you took

There are no boundaries set, the time and yet you waste it still

So it slips through your hands like grains of sand, you watch it go

There's no time to be lost, you'll pay the cost so get it right

And never was there an answer, there an answer

Not without listening, without seeing

There are no answers here, when you look out you don't see in

There was no promise made, the part you've played, the chance you took

If this is a club with membership, maybe he needs to undergo a little hazing, to make sure he really, really wants to be here.

I suggest the following initiation:

- after enjoying your Heresys for one week, you must put then away for an entire month and listen only to the most excruciating, poorly done rap music over a set of Bose speakers with no subwoofer. After each song, you must shout, with enthusiasm, "Thank you sir, may I hear another?!"

Is that too harsh?

[:D]