Vintage HK 430 -Completed!!!!

Bill H.

The "real amp" Dean is referring to is the $100 Teac.

The HK was a high end unit in the 70's. It has dual power supplies and lots of headroom. You would not believe the capacitor board inside. Built like a tank too. Great bang for the buck. A few years ago, the Scott integrated tube amps were on about $100 on eBay. Then everyone got wise. New does not equal better quality.

Chris

PS - What is so great about these old realitvely cheap speakers that were designed in the 1940's everone around here keeps talking about? Shouldn't we be buying new speakers?

But a speaker is more a physical thing IMO. Wood, speakers, some wireing. And it seems most are changing their electronics in their speakers. So what is the value of twin power? And more 'headroom'?

Try one meagain and you'll hear first hand how it blows away most any of those new digital HT receivers with any type of music. My old 70s Kenwood receiver could run circles around any HT receiver I ever heard. Didn't do a very good job with 5.1 movies though.[;)]

I had a HK730 when I was a teen and loved it! I have been toying with the idea of buying one on Ebay just for nostalgia reasons, but judging by what everyone says about the 430 and 730 I should think about putting it into my bedroom system! regards, tony

My HK-430 is on loan to my little brother with a set of sansui sp-50's as his dorm stereo.

It's a great sounding little amp and for the way less than $100 that I got it for I'm really happy with it.

However I think my Yamaha receiver(HTR-5540) sounds more controlled and

less sloppy at high volumes(100+dB) when played through my Heresy 1's.

The HK unit does have a nice phono preamp and a great tuner section.

in my college days it served as my computer speakers paired with a set

of JBL L46 and many a night was spent(after homework was done) sipping

scotch and listening to the local jazz station while browsing the

forums here.

I have heard the HK 430 run on my Khorns and for the price you can't beat them. But with horns integrated tube units like Scott are a giant leap forward. Seperates get even better. From a price point though you can loose.

I have a Dynaco 410, 2 channel that is a very good SS vintage piece. Very tube like.

I know an older gentelman from work with a bunch of old gear that he wants to sell me,namely a pair of Crown tube monos rated at 160 watts per!

He says just take um home a try them out...I dont know what model they are but am looking forward to checking this gear out and hear what vintage is all about!!!!!

He isnt into music anymore,system has not been setup for years,wait till he hears my rig LOL, La Scala's with 5 watts of SET,he is used to Maggies(those are for sell also),kind of the other end of the spectrum!

Wonder what he has for a preamp...

Greg