Anyone take the SACD plunge yet?

Deang

cc1091 -

hummm... that's interesting. I'm basically a two channel guy, so most of the reviewers I read are writing in publications like Stereophile, HiFi News, Ultimate Audio, Listener, Positive Feedback and other magazines that don't give too much ink to multi-channel playback, and in all of those, the concensus has been just the opposite... that DVD-A carries with it all the bad things that they don't like about the "redbook" CD standard, and while it may be an improvement, it is nowhere near the digital revolution that DSD / SACD represents. They all say that the SACD disc's they've heard, on all the SACD players, are waaaaaay better than CD, and superior to DVD-A. Concensus is that the better (aka more $$$ - Sony's first $3,500 SACD player, the Accuphase, the Marantz) are better than the newer, less expensive SACD players, but even the least expensive SACD players are better than ANY of the DVD-A players.

Curious - who is more impressed with DVD-A? Is it mostly a question of available multi-channel recordings, or do they really like the sound better (that is, does two channel DVD-A beat two channel SACD?)

Confused.gif

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Crutchfield has dropped the price of the Sony SCD-C555ES to $1199.00, I believe. The SCD-C222ES is $799.00. I'm getting real interested! But I'd really prefer a single-disc machine, maybe in the $600.00 range. Plus, I'm still a bit put off by the lack of digital outputs, and the fact that there is little alternative but to also buy an A/V receiver or pre/pro to feed it to. (I'm talking MULTI-CHANNEL SACD here, folks.) I would much prefer to use one with a dedicated MUSIC ONLY multi-channel pre-amp or integrated amp. Try finding one of those...anywhere at this point!

As for sound Q, I think there would be little, if any audible difference in SACD and DVD-A, assuming the same source material, mixing and mastering.

SACD was conceived as a music format from the get-go. DVD-A requires you to turn a freakin' TV on just to control the thing! Or at least all the ones I've read about so far.

Most audiophile record companies are supporting SACD, and many majors are too.

------------------

JDMcCall

All these formats are making my head spin!

I don't know what's best but I can tell you that I LOVE my 5.1 audio CD's or DVD's over standard stereo CD's.

One that I can compare is a Sting CD called "Ten Summoner's Tales". I have the standard CD and the DTS 5.1 CD. By far, the 5.1 is better than the standard.

Not much I can say except I like the full surround sound stage. As far as the regular audio quality, I think DTS is better with his higher bitrate?

Regardless, it's a noticably better sounding CD. I don't know how DVD-A or SACD would top it.

I also enjoy my normal DVD audio DVD's. I'm not keeping up with all the formats but I do like using my 5.1 or 6.1 setup if I can find audio CD's that are mixed for it.

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Nakamichi 482 Cassette Deck; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD

Cant talk about the more afordable SACD players but the SONY SCD-1 sounds amazing with SACD CD's.Some standrard CD also can sound great(AudioQuest and company).

Most SACD are of great quality,I have not heard a single trash can quality recording on SACD.

The sound is less CD like and more natural overall.You have to listen for yourself.I think its worth the green if you have the high quality preamp/amp and speakers.If yes then you will no doubt enjoy SACD.If the system is not top notch then SACD is a waste of money,unless you listen with quality headphones.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hello,

I'm new to this board, but moderate the Digital and Hi Rez forums at AudioAsylum. I've owned a Sony SCD-1 SACD player for over a year. I bought this to replace an Electrocompaniet EMC-1 redbook player from Norway which I loved to listen to. While many compare the EMC-1 to a nice analogue setup, the Sony had been criticized for having a lean midrange and a somewhat aggressive treble. I purchased a Dodson DAC to help tame this issue, which is really a minor one considering my tastes. I also run a tube preamp and amps, so I get some of that midband back, anyway.

As for SACD, titles have been slim pickings for people wanting music other than classical or jazz. With the announcement that Universal Music Group will be using DSD/SACD as its future format of choice, things are looking up. There are, to be accurate, roughly 500 titles after two years from Sony and smaller boutique labels to choose from presently, but as I said, if you're not into classical/jazz you're screwed for the most part.

We are also beginning to see SACD discs that have been completely composed using Sony's (Ed Meitner's) DSD/filter technology and many of the Sonora work stations are beginning to hit the studios. I have a few of these pure DSD discs, including Telarc's 1812 Overature and Winston Ma's SOLO album. On most of these analogue/DSD recordings, there is an audible difference to my ears, but remember, it's tough to compare apples to apples vis a vis DVD~A>DSD>Redbook. I have plenty of JVC and XRCD~2 CDs that sound woderful.

Since I have a separate mass market HT system, I'm really not interested in SACD multichannel, but they're now out there. I guess if you're into two channel and have a decent and resolving system, SACD is worth an audition. Right now, I'm up to 58 discs and can't complain. I have lots of records, so I'll always have a TT and I have plenty of CDs, so I need a redbook player to boot. My Sony allows me to enjoy two formats in one box.

Take care, Chris

The opinion I read about DVD-A being absolutely better than SACD was printed in the August/September 2001 (#131) issue of "The Absolute Sound". The article was written by Robert E Greene of TAS after having a listening session with Jan Nielsen and Kim Kruse Petersen of "(Danish)High Fidelity", K.S. Moeller former writer for High Fidelity, and Hans Henrik Moerch (apparenly designs "pick-up arms")

The comparison was done using Dynaudio Craft Speakers, OCOS Speaker cables, YBA Integre Amp, Moerch DAC with Meridian transport for CD, Sony SCD 777ES for SACD and a Pioneer DV 717 which they claim was not a true DVD-A player, but at 96/24 bits, as close as they could get at the time of the comparison (6 months (??) prior to publishing?). The issue can be found here:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/back_issues_131.html

Again, it is only the "opinions" offered by magazine critics, not by real world users like Klipsch people, so I am interested in the opinions of anyone who has actually conducted a comparison on their own system.

BTW - SACD is now offered in Multichannel format. I believe that the testing the panel in TAS did was all in two channel format.

OK,I'm a Klipsch people and I have a Denon DVD3300 DVD-Audio player.Although I don't have time for a life I can tell you that with limited listening,and software, I have found the DVD-Audio to sound superb.

Keith

i sell a dvd/sacd 5-disc sony for about $350, and a 5-disc sony sacd changer for about $250, they sound really good, but i haven't heard it on really good speakers (klipsch) yet...will 'field test' one at home and let y'all know. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a sony sacd/dvd player last week for $300.00!! thats all they cost now guys...sound quality is excellent!! awesome.....supercalafragalisticexpealadocious!!!!buy one as soon as you can!!! pleeeeeeeeeeez

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears parasound hca-1500 amp

driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!

I made a post on this subject under 2 channel audio - I am hoping that the link included points there.

2 channel audio posting

FYI - I can run both multi-channel and 2 channel through a mod to my setup described in the link that I am very proud of. Having heard multi-channel I can honestly say that it is nothing like the sort of sound you get out of DVD video in either DTS or 5.1 formats. This is, to my ears, audiophile quality music that engulfs you.

Of course, I am lucky as I am a fan of both Jazz and Classical music. I have never heard anything that reproduces classical like this - anywhere. Jazz, on the other hand, is primarily live recordings as opposed to the studio sound of XRCD. This means that despite the higher quality of the SACD recording the setup for the sound is not usually as optimized and XCRD comes through as more optimised, but ultimately less of a live experience.

You pays your money and you takes your choice - I have both in the meantime and it will stay that way for some time to come.

Oh yes, and as regards there being no poor quality SACD recordings - dont you believe it. I have a selection of classical recordings from Szell including Dvorak's 8th and 9th symphonies. These were originally recorded in 1959 and 1958 respectively. The hiss is abhorent and it was not a good choice of performance anyway. If you compare the way the music is played to the DDD CD recording of Von Karajan you will discover you have an SACD you cannot listen to.

• 1 month later...

I took the plunge last week and bought a c222es and I can truthly say this is one outstanding player both in value and sound. I could not be more happier. I have only listen to 2 channel recordings. I have the Szell Brahms 4th in SACD that is just incrediable.

Bill J.

------------------

Bill J.

-----

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)

Rega Planar 3 Turntable -Elys cartridge

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

he Sony CE775 multichannel SACD 5 disk changer can be had for under $300. and represents an outstanding value. More and more SACDs are being offered at more reasonable prices. I think the hybrid sacd will win the format war for Sony/Phillips and will replace cds. I'm going to wait a little but I am sure that I will be buying a higher quality multi-channel SACD player. Unlike regular CDs where you can use very reasonably priced transports (such as my Sony mega changers} and then through jitter reduction and external DAC end up with a high quallity output, the analog only output of the SACD player requires a superior internal DAC.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

I got a Erich Kunzel Beatles mult-channel SACD today that I found on Ebay. It's a Telarc recording and I can truthfully say it is awesome. It not quite what I expected. I thought mult-channel would be really gimmicky, both I found that the sound just surrounds you. It is very similiar to what you get when you run a Denon in 5 channel mode. Except that you have true discrete channels. Really fantastic. The vocals are done by the King Singers. They sound as if they are singing directly in front of you. The orchestra sound is full and has some real depth. If you can find this SACD I recommend it. I'm a happy camper here.

cwm16.gif

------------------

Bill J.

-----

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)