Twenty Year K-Horns. Do I need new crossovers?

DRBILL

There is obviously something to retrofiting crossovers or Bob Crites wouldn't have any business.

My speakers have AK-2 "balancing networks". Sometimes I imagine I hear a slight raspyness in very complex waveforms like massed strings or a chorus of womens' voices. It makes me wonder if I need a new crossover or perhaps there is a crack in a diaphram. I know for sure that my left tweeter has more output than the right one. (Yes, I swapped left for right amplifiers and the same tweeter was too loud.)

I know quite a bit about amplifiers and precious little about speakers. I will appreciate any guidance.

DRBILL

DRBILL,

Yes, I think you need new crossovers or at least the caps should be replaced, but I doubt the crossover is causing what you describe.

I know it is a pain to do it, buy you can swap the tweeters and/or midrange drivers to see if that problem follows a driver. Could also be a connection problem somewhere including where the terminal connects to the diaphram in the tweeter.

On older than the ones you have, I would have suggested that you loosen and retighten the screws on the crossover terminal strips to see if a bit of corrosion at the connection might be the problem. I think all those are soldered on your AK-2s though.

If after all that, the problem definately follows a driver, we can try a new diaphragm.

Bob Crites

I was just thinking that there would be no way for Klipsch to service

crossovers of this age, but we have the problem because Klipsch

Heritage speakers are of such long lived construction. I think that all

Klipsch could do is offer an AK4 xover with upgraded k55 and k77, an

upgrade which I think amounts to $1800 per speaker.

To have an option of returning an aging crossover to factory spec

without breaking the bank is great. Thanks Bob for servicing the

Heritage community with the options you have.

I bought my LaScalas last year to get the AL-4 , and the new drivers,

before the same spec /more expensive LS II came out. I also don't

care for the look of the LS II...

$1800 x 2 = $3600

So basically I bought the upgrade and got the rest of the new LaScalas for free?

Hi BEC

I'm curious because I've not seen you mentioning any testing of the AK-2 and AK-3 network's capacitors. Since these capacitors are made from different materials than the Oil Types used in the A and AA Networks have you found these capacitors showing high ESR from age like the Oil Types?

mike[:)]

Mike,

The crossovers you mention are newer and I haven't messed with many of them. I have rebuilt a few AL-3s of the same age as the AK-3s and almost the same design. And suprisingly to me some of them did need it based on capacitor ESR. In all cases the bad caps were the small black rectangular ones Klipsch went to sometime in the 80s. Some of those caps test very good and some very bad. I think those are just cheap caps. I doubt they will last as long on average as the oil filled caps.

Bob Crites

Mike, The crossovers you mention are newer and I haven't messed with many of them. I have rebuilt a few AL-3s of the same age as the AK-3s and almost the same design. And suprisingly to me some of them did need it based on capacitor ESR. In all cases the bad caps were the small black rectangular ones Klipsch went to sometime in the 80s. Some of those caps test very good and some very bad. I think those are just cheap caps. I doubt they will last as long on average as the oil filled caps. Bob Crites

Bob thanks for the information. I assume you are describing the 2mfd caps in the Tweeter circuit?

mike[:)]

You need to change those out every year or so. Al has me do it for him. Might as well go ahead and send me all of your networks now and get it over with. [:)]

I suppose a real audioloon should change them out after about 20 years or so.

So what about the 299B??

Brett,

It arrived in great shape it is assembled and ready to go. I am waiting for some stuff from parts express to build a box to switch my mains between the 299B and Yamaha Receiver for HT/2 Channel ops. I'll e-mail you later with details. Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner.

R/Jim