A few questions about K-horns

sputnik

A friend of a friend has a nice pair of K-horns nearby. I'm not not sure, but from the pics they look like 1993 models in clear oak with AK-3s. They look to be in very nice condition. They are looking to sell them. First, I told them not to sell but I might consider buying these myself. What would be a fair price? I know that usual range is $1,500 to $2,500, but are these anything special. Also, what could they hope for as a top price? I have nice corners except for the baseboard heat radiators (hot water). That's why I've never really considered K-horns in the room. I don't know if they can fit into a corner with baseboard heat. Has anyone worked K-horns in around a base board heat system? It doesn't sound like a good idea to have them in close contact with the baseboard heat but the covering doesn't really get all that hot. I wouldn't want to redo the heat radiator to fit the speakers unless I could convince myself that it might help address a slight water hammer issue with the heat system (at least that would be a good excuse to give to my wife). Also, I bet they are less imposing tucked in the corners of the living room than where the Cornwalls are sitting now. Any advice or ideas?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more a matter of tearing into the floor than plumbing. It still wouldn't be that hard but when I start "home improvements" things sort of snowball. We only needed to replace the kitchen faucet, now we have a new sink, new counter top, all new appliances, and a new faucet that I don't really like. I could've bought two pairs of K-horns for what it cost to replace that faucet.

The bottom portion of the tailboard can be removed to allow the speaker to slide back to the corner. It you're concerned about hacking up a Khorn, simply remove the tailboard and use it as a template to make a new one, retaining the original. I might not have had the guts to do this, but I have one corner as you describe, and one of the Khorns had been damaged in a truck crash (only reason I could afford them-insurance co buyback from my boss at the time).

Fits fine and I don't detect any sonic aberration. The side grills could be modified, but where the speaker sits in my room, you really don't notice, so I just left them off.

..........drill a new hole 1 1/8' o.d......

In my world, that could lead to new flooring and new furniture. OK, so my heat radiator excuse is out the window, what would be a fair price. These people are friends of a friend and don't know the value of the speakers except that they originally cost around $5,000. I would want to make sure it's a fair deal for all concerned but I would also want them to know what the top dollar might be for these.

hot water baseboard ...sticks out 4-41/2"

about 6- 8" high, depending on brand

i haven't pulled mine out to look, but wouldn't cutting the tailboard up 8" leave it without any attachment at the bottim, Beenie ..??

My c.1940s baseboard only sticks out a bit over 2". You got the height about right, though. On my 76 K's, I was able to cut below the lower attachment.

I think you already knew you were right on the price range. If cosmetically, they are excellent, $2200 would be very fair. There have been some very beautiful ones go for about that and less - although some have gone higher. Mine were cosmetically a 9.5 out of 10 (if you don't count grills in the rating, because they didn't have the grills). I got them for $1700 and think I could make some nice grills for about $20.00 in materials as soon as I get motivated.

Beautiful room and Montana-type view! The corner-to-window trim distance looks like more than 2', but note that each side of the "home plate" that runs along the wall is 22" and the corner-to-plumb line from the edge of the Khorn is 33", so they might intrude on your view.

Thanks, we love this house. I was thinking that we could gain

window access replacing those big ole Cornwalls with bigger K-horns in

the corners. But then, I've never tried placing the Cornwalls in

the corners. Are you saying it's 33" from the back corner to

either front corner of a K-horn? I think that would be OK. What is the

perpindicular dimension from the front of a K-horn back to the

corner? I thought it was about 30" or am I reading the

dimensions on the specs wrong?

Well, not counting the last pair on Ebay that went for $5200+?, the pair before in CA went for $3200-3300?

I wonder how many sets of khorns are in Montana. Do YOU get to make the first offer or the seller? I think khorns would look perfect in that room! Don't know about blocking the windows though, but your cornwalls certainly do.

There are no arrangments, they emailed the one of the guys in the

office today and he asked me about it. We asked for more info and

they emailed a bunch of pictures to us - they look very clean. I

emailed them back, first to tell them that the K-horns are the TOTL and

not to sell them unless they really needed the cash and that I'd be

interested if they do decide to sell. Haven't heard back.

I'll check the email at work tomorrow. I'd probably go $2,000 or

so but if they can get $3-5K (freak occurrences), I'd like them to know

that. Whether or not I buy these, I have been wondering about how

K-horns would fit in here and I'm glad I asked about here. Thanks

for the input.