Heritage HT

Jeff Matthews

I don't know. I was thinking 4.1 for starters. Corns in front and Heresies in back. I saw that you could set your HK for "no sub" and figured I bet you could also set it for "no center." I was guessing it re-distributes the signal optimally for the number of speakers you program it for.

I wasn't clear on your answer. You did hook up the KHorns with KG4's? If so, what did you not like? I assume there's plenty of power.

I also saw that Klipsch makes in-ceiling speakers. Sounds like a great space-saver. I wonder if they pump enough sound. Anybody who has heard them, let me know how the sound quality of them works with Heritage fronts.

EDIT: The reason for desiring to neglect a center is space. While our room is huge, still, there comes a point of enough speakers. I don't want my place looking like a hi-fi bachelor's pad. That's why in-ceiling speakers sound like an attractive option. I'll never blare it during movies, anyway. Nice surround would be nice, though.

We didn't yet hook up the KG4's for surrounds. We used other speakers I found at an estate sale. They were great for football games, but not concert DVDs, etc. Enough power from the receiver, but the quality of the speakers was so off from the khorns that I couldn't deal with it. We're hooking up the KG4's tomorrow for a quick try.

I'm interested in finding Chorus II's and maybe Fortes? Forte's cuz they are petite/tall (if I remember correctly). And I wonder how those KLF-30's or something similar would fare. I'm new to all this obviously, but I think the center is very important. I think moreso than the rears. At least for me - that's the case.

Why don't you try it with your khorns & corns? Oh, you need an amp first huh?

Jeff, If you are buying new, you might want to check J&R (jr.com). Out of all the reputable online places, they had the best price on my HK (plus free s/h). The item was packed very well and I received it in 2-3 days. (That panny above is $299 there but no free s/h right now). There are other good places like Vann's etc. but at the time, they didn't have the best prices. I was very happy with them. They'll have most all of the Harman, Denon, Yama offerings. A good place to surf at least.

(BTW - I question some of the wpc ratings on some of these. I know Harman is said to have true or underestimated wpc and I'm sure Denon & Yama are also respectable. But I did read many posts when that Pioneer 1015? came out with people testing it and saying they overemphasised the wpc on it.)

I use the Heritage big boys listed below, to see the gear that runs it click the system profile, I have run all sorts of combinations. Current setup is capable of dynamics and realism that are right off the scale at any SPL level. The Sherbourn has endless clean power for any whatever the DVD soundtracks can dish out. I previously ran a pair of stunning DBX BX1 Configurable Reference Amplifers (one in 4 channel, the other in 3 channel) but downsized some.

Running Cornwalls all the way around. HK AVR 510 runing Center and Surrounds. Fisher 500B running the front mains. Take a look at my website for all the details and the connections diagram. It sounds AWESOME. Everyone I have over gives it the thumbs up too!

http://www.madtomstudios.com/HomeTheater/home_theater_page.htm

http://www.madtomstudios.com/HomeTheater/Amphookup3.jpg

Laters,

Jeff

Yamaha RX-V 750 into a modded Heresy1 for center, Forte1 mains and Heresy2 rears with a sub.

A phantom center, while you are able to do one, just is not the same as having a center speaker. The center speaker carries the vast majority of the audio and is the most important speaker in the setup. Without it, you loose focus and you might as well have a set of little Bloes cubes for a system[;)]