For up to $1K (used), best SS amp? Most tube like?

BS Button

Dean bought a QSC (class AB) and a Carver (digital) to compare both and reccomended the QSC. With the QSC you may have to change the fan out (a $20 tweak) and the amp can be had for $600 new or less on ebay for new or used. The Crown (have not heard it) does not use a fan - nice.

In any event, you may like the amp you have right now. Here is an easy test. My Teac L700's and QSC sound very similar. Clean power, the QSC just has much more dynamic range. Get a loaner Teac or just buy one and compare to your amp. If the sound is cleaner or clearer (at lower volumes, your amp has a lot of power) then get a QSC as it will make a difference.

Even if you do change amps, get the peach first and let it break in. I just did a $250 tube roll (single amperex pinch waist PQ) in the Peach and the difference was huge. You can roll other tubes in the Peach for much less.

Chris

Well BS .. tubes go Both ways ....

some "EQ" your music ....

some, like Quicksilver, and Audio Research ...

Improve it ...

i, personally, prefer Tube-Pre, SS power amplifiers

This is just too (tube?) confusing. What do you mean by "EQ"; is it change or add their own sonic signature to the music? What, then, is "improve"? "Improve" also suggests a change from whatever "your music" originally was, but in a way that you enjoy.

?

Well BS .. tubes go Both ways ....

some "EQ" your music ....

some, like Quicksilver, and Audio Research ...

Improve it ...

i, personally, prefer Tube-Pre, SS power amplifiers

This is just too (tube?) confusing. What do you mean by "EQ"; is it change or add their own sonic signature to the music? What, then, is "improve"? "Improve" also suggests a change from whatever "your music" originally was, but in a way that you enjoy.

?

Duke: he makes a good point here. What is yours? Wait a minute, maybe he's suggesting that a pre with Tone controls plays the EQ game and good one's without, well they just improve the sound?

Joshnich - My goodness! I'd sure love to know your secrets for taking great pics. And I'd soooo love to buy that 2105 but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it. [:@]

That photo is beautiful. Probably taken with a polorizing filter - makes metal look like that.

Pauln

some tube amps, most, i'd say, roll off top, and bottom end due to xfmrs...

some exhibit rectifier sag

been my experience with Quicksilver, A,R. .all you know ...all you hear

is that your listening to a great,transparent amplifier

Not to get too far off of topic here, BUT Rectifier Sag would be a great name for a band.

• 7 months later...

Amen to THAT Dean G, I just found one, and wow.

No glare!

Warm and tube like, without being ":Mosfetty".

I have it hooked up to my VMPS RM 40's right now, but I can't wait to try it on my Horns.

I bet it will work great, not a bit of glare, and very powerful too.

The CF 3's are 4 ohms, so the M 117 will have an easy time.