For up to $1K (used), best SS amp? Most tube like?

BS Button

Opinions please. I'm thinking of going with a Peach, then SS amp. Please give me your suggestions on Solid State amps with a warm, tube like sound. The B&K amplifier may stay put, but I'd like some opinions on, lets say "Threshold" and others. Of course, how they mate up with Klipsch comments are welcome. Thanks

BS

Maybe it's the transformers but I have always thought that the Mcintosh ss amps sound pretty darn tube like. The Mc 250 can be had for way less than a grand and sounds great. There is also the benefit of being able to sell it for what you paid for it if you do not find it to your liking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/McINTOSH-MC-250-Stereo-Amplifier-50w-ch-SUPERB-MC250_W0QQitemZ5850895829QQcategoryZ50593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Josh

No reason even to think about amps until you hear the B&K with the Peach. If I were to give a recommendation for a solid state amp with tube "like" sound -- the MOSFET B&K's would be high on the list. Truthfully, knowing what I know about your general taste in sound -- I would say to dump the B&K and buy one of the QSC PLX amps to run with the Peach -- using the low-Z setting. The PLX amps are smooth, powerful and open -- and the Peach will give you just the right amount of warmth and richness.

No reason even to think about amps until you hear the B&K with the Peach. If I were to give a recommendation for a solid state amp with tube "like" sound -- the MOSFET B&K's would be high on the list. Truthfully, knowing what I know about your general taste in sound -- I would say to dump the B&K and buy one of the QSC PLX amps to run with the Peach -- using the low-Z setting. The PLX amps are smooth, powerful and open -- and the Peach will give you just the right amount of warmth and richness.

Dean,

No offense, but what is a QSC PLX? Never heard of it...also and yes, I'm leaning towards just keeping the B&K amp.

I'd second Josh's reccomendations on a McIntosh SS amp.

They were designed to sound the "same" as their tube amps, and do sound good with Klipsch.

The MC 2105 springs to mind as fitting under your budget. Get one

with a nice wood case in good condition. A solid amp with

excellent build quality. Get a nice one and if you decide to sell

it should be pain free.

Paul

The Music Fidelity X10 v3 Tube Buffer has gotten rave reviews for smoothing out and warming up bright systems. You can connect it between your CD player and preamp or between your preamp and amp. Stereophile class A

$399.99

Keith,

Which way is best to hook this up, in your opinion?

Maybe it's the transformers but I have always thought that the Mcintosh ss amps sound pretty darn tube like. The Mc 250 can be had for way less than a grand and sounds great. There is also the benefit of being able to sell it for what you paid for it if you do not find it to your liking. http://cgi.ebay.com/McINTOSH-MC-250-Stereo-Amplifier-50w-ch-SUPERB-MC250_W0QQitemZ5850895829QQcategoryZ50593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Josh

Todd. I have to agree big time with the above statement. This is the same amp I was talking to you about last night. Can't beat them for that price. Tube like with bigtime bass. Thinking of getting one myself.

I use two Luxman M-117's driven with a Merlin. The M-117's have a nice tube sound and with MUCH power. Dean used a M-117. Maybe he could comment. ?? Used price for two would be in your $ range.

Terry

Luxman SS: The poor mans Mac. Late 70's - very early 80's.

Joshnich - My goodness!   I'd sure love to know your secrets for taking great pics.  And I'd soooo love to buy that 2105 but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it.  [:@]

Meagain,

I wish that was my amp buit if it was I would not be sellng it! One of the problems with McIntosh gear (at least for me ) is the inability ( or un willingness) to sell it! I have only sold two pieces of Mc gear (a pair of MC 30s) and always regretted it!

Josh

Just MO, but I feel and believe SS is such, and tube is tube, they ARE completely different IMO, tube is much more musical and warm as soild state is much more in your face...as Emeril states....BAM!!.....

As an amp I used years ago(2 channel) if found, I powered my 93 Khorns with it when they were both "new". The "Adcom GFA-585LE", awesome SS amp at the time and still my belief(at least mine), that puppy rocked my Khorns....BAM....[;)]

one of the QSC PLX amps to run with the Peach -- using the low-Z setting. The PLX amps are smooth, powerful and open -- and the Peach will give you just the right amount of warmth and richness.

That's what I'm dreamin' about.

......or the Carver 1600....or the Crown K2 with a peach.