Couple of basic LaScala Questions

meagain

La Scala in the rear overkill, hah! Just look at my signature and I will show you overkill! Besides all the Heritage big boys there are three (3) Velodyne 15" Servo subwoofers to fill in the low end. Got bass?

I did things the way Dean suggests, I quickly looked them over, I bought, brought home, cleaned and fixed, used for awhile then ponied up the dough to get the networks replaced or updated.

Since replacing updating the networks in all seven (7) speakers I can truly say they perform at an entirely different level. It sounds so good it will make you cry if it is a song that is emotionally involving and something that your partial to. I am not kidding either.

When I started this back in 2000, I never would have imagined that I could piece a system like this together, inspiration came via Qman's and HornEd's systems. I would love to hear Qman's with the Khorn center channel - how awesome is that.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not heard a single mention of woofer problems here so I'm assumeing they are fine, but I'll ask about that more. I honestly don't even recall there being a way to get inside there. I don't recall any trap doors.

Look at page 2 of your Refinish Birch thread. I have a couple pictures there on removing the Woofer.

Mike

A question for scootdog

how come you never got a split LaScala for a center

this would be a perfect match for your front speakers

I'm sure the center you built if vary capable but it is not an exact match to the LaScala's in the midrange/tweeter which counts the most

A split La Scala is a pro version of the speaker that has separate LF (Low Frequency) and HF (High Frequency) sections, some HF sections were in a triangular shape while others were square and the same size as the LF bin.

The advantage here is you can detach and place the HF section in one spot and the LF section in another which provides more placement options. Indy here on the forum runs a killer 7 La Scala + THX-120 Subs HT and he uses a split La Scala for his center channel. I tried a top section with my bass bin but found that the top section was BIG too and would not work on top of the television. What you can do is put the HF section under the TV tilted upward at the listening area and the LF off to the side of the TV if that would work.

It all connects with banana plugs.

Lets face it feeding a speaker with a poor or lessor quality amp results in poorer quality sound. Don't believe listen to my rig in 2 Channel using my Yamaha receiver vs my Scott 299B. The Yamaha does a decent job but it is lacking when used 2 channel and is more a multi-channel beast, best used for HT and multi-channel music tracks. In that setting the Yamaha does very well. It does not sound bad in 2 Channel but he 299B does a much better job in the stereo environment.

What model Yamaha?

RX V3300

I committed to buying the Scalas. Might take as much as 2 weeks to get them though. Tricky logistics. Also tossing in a stock Scott 299b. I want to play with it. I think it would be a good jump off point for learning about tubes. I know I'll have to have it tweaked at some point, but no hurry. It would be nice to do it ourselves (basic cap replacement, etc), but it might be over our heads (as well as dangerous!).

We are fighting over the use of the Scalas. Mains for another area, surround, hubby wants to record/mix with them, etc. We'll likely keep the hand truck on hand, but it'll be fun.

I appreciate every one of you who posted to try to help me. [:)]

"Do NOT use that Scott until you have Craig look it over. Please. "

Yes sir. It was run with the Scalas for a bit when we auditioned them and nothing blew up. I think they were run with them. What exact problems can occur again? What specific speaker damage? I'm certainly going to hold off and just play around looking up the tube numbers/names, etc. to get a gleaning of their big mystery. I actually have never seen a real tube in person in my life.

Jeff - Yea, I think it'll sound amazing and can't wait to try it out. When we play with HT, we'll likely move them around a bit for a while. Using one as a center for movies, etc. and using them as sides or rears for 5:1 music where I "think" the center isn't as important?

We were watching "24" with the KG4's hooked up and can't fathom how cool it would sound with the 'Scalas in their stead.

I'm very very very excited! I just hope I can stomach the patience required from now till I get them.

JPM - I wouldn't say they sucked, and I'd have to check back, but I don't think I went that far? It was softer, mushier, less distinct than my khorns. (like accoustic bass). I'm buying on faith that it was the combo of the room, placement, crossovers/caps, amp, cd player, etc, etc. It was certainly better than most things I've listened to, just not up to par with my khorns in the clean/tight/clear department. My gut says (and going by postings here), it's not the fault of the speakers proper. We'll see!

I'll have Craig pop into this thread and give you his two cents worth on this -- what model number is the Scott?

How about straight DC into your speakers and then watching them catch on fire?

Fire? LOL - That's one way to get my house remodeled cheap! Bring it on! The "wish a tree would fall & crush 1/2 the house" deal hasn't worked so far.

I PM'd Craig about a general cost for a refurb. Yipes. More than I thought. It's a 299b.