HT done....time now for a new project

Tom Adams

dtel's daughter is close.........

My wife & I are adopting a boy from Guatemala City. It's been in the works for some time, but we've not really talked about it much for fear of "spoiling the magic". He's currently 14 months old and will be about 18 months when we get him. And we're happier than a pig in sh*t!!

And yes, the bed appears to be big. However, it is a toddler bed that converts to a twin. And since a kid is considered a toddler around 24 months, we felt that a crib would a short lived thing. Besides, we're told that he's already walking and running.

I'm not gonna give away the total design, but his room will be a total motorsports theme. And I can assure you, when I get done, Extreme Home Makeover will having nothing on me!! [:)]

Tom

Hey!

Congrats on the adoption! It will be a big change in your

life for sure, but it is a VERY GOOD ONE!

I dont know your experience with children and I pray you

will not take the following in a negative way BUT:

It is not too soon to baby proof your house! Get down on

your hands and knees and take a look around. Anything small, large, shiny,

fuzzy, smooth, hard, soft WILL wind up on the floor or in the mouth or both!

Children are naturally curious and will explore their world, if you only have

things within their reach that is ok to play with, your life and theirs will be

much happier. Kids shouldnt be deterred from exploration, it exercises the

brain. You just need to make sure everything they see is ok to play with.

Get latches for the cabinets so they cant get into

household chemicals that could be harmful, put plastic caps in all the outlets

to prevent sticking of objects into them.

Most of all, ENJOY him! Wasnt it just last week my son was

born and now he is 22????

Where did all the time go?? You cant spend too much

time with them; the memories will be with you the rest of your life

• Moderators

dtel's daughter is close.........

My wife & I are adopting a boy from Guatemala City. It's been in the works for some time, but we've not really talked about it much for fear of "spoiling the magic". He's currently 14 months old and will be about 18 months when we get him. And we're happier than a pig in sh*t!!

And yes, the bed appears to be big. However, it is a toddler bed that converts to a twin. And since a kid is considered a toddler around 24 months, we felt that a crib would a short lived thing. Besides, we're told that he's already walking and running.

I'm not gonna give away the total design, but his room will be a total motorsports theme. And I can assure you, when I get done, Extreme Home Makeover will having nothing on me!! [:)]

Tom

Tom!! How wonderful!!

What a great addition to your life.... and fun to have projects, too!

I will say one thing about the bed/crib situation as the mom of a 16.5 month old (who has long been walking and running).... I would not be able to function (ie: sleep) without the crib!! Steven is into everything, and would never stay put in a bed. I can't yet imagine making the transition to a bed, not even at 18 months old! Hopefully, you'll at least have a pack-n-play of some kind to have him sleep in until your sure he's "mature" enough to stay in his bed and not get into anything while you're sleeping!!

Good luck to you, and please post pictures of your little one, and the room when you get it all set up! Before and after shots are nice!! [:D]

Thanks guys for the nice words. And thanks for the advice/info about small kids. Duly noted! [:)]

I've been around my step-daughter since she was 3 and have been around very young ones, so I know about their exploration tendencies. Naturally, my wife has done and seen it all since she had Madison. So, I'll be relying on the wife for A LOT of direction.

And yeah....we've started surveying the house for things that could harm him. Once again, the wife knows what to do and what to look for. However, your comments are always welcome. A second set of eyes (so-to-speak) is a good thing.

As for the bed thing, the one upside of Javier being in an orphanage is that he's use to a routine of going to bed with no if, and's, or but's. My hope is that that has taught him some discipline. However, I hear ya about being paranoid about him wandering. OTOH, it ain't just the littel ones. Here lately Madison has been sleep walking. Man, that'll scare the bejeesus outta you if you wake up and THERE THEY ARE! [:o]

And I'll definitely post some before & after pics of the room. LOL....you should've seen Laura's face when I told her that his TV will be tuned to Speedvision 24/7! LOL..........

Oh - this photo of him is a few months old (should be getting new ones of him shortly).

Tom

post-4338-1381927912799_thumb.jpg

Does it come painted already or can you paint it up yourself?

The bed is injection molded plastic so the colors are there. But I suppose you could re-paint it if you wanted. What ya got in mind?? [:)]

Actually, I thought of maybe replicating a Nextel Cup racing Team (go Tony Stewart) paint scheme, but I wanted to keep the bed/car rather generic since the room will have cars, boats, motorcycles, planes....IOW, if it has an internal combustion engine and races, it'll be represented. LOL.....my wife keeps saying he'll probably grow up to be a hair-dresser. LOL........

BTW, the decals that came with the bed are the real deal both in scale and logo. Man....I'm not sure I'm gonna put them on his bed or my toolbox!

The great part is that the wife is going along with my madness.

Tom

• Moderators

What a beautiful child!

Congratulations on your good fortune, and his, for finding each other!

Yes, another pair of eyes is very helpful indeed. They certainly keep you busy with things they get into that you'd never think of!

Steven has discovered the Xbox. Not that he can play it, but that he can turn it on and off, and open and shut the disc holder...now he's taken to trying to pull the disc holder out all the way. <sigh>

What a beautiful child!

Congratulations on your good fortune, and his, for finding each other!

Yes, another pair of eyes is very helpful indeed. They certainly keep you busy with things they get into that you'd never think of!

Steven has discovered the Xbox. Not that he can play it, but that he can turn it on and off, and open and shut the disc holder...now he's taken to trying to pull the disc holder out all the way. <sigh>

Your comment Amy reminded me of something completely off-topic, but audio related nonetheless.......

One of the Sinatra items I got from GaryMD was a song sheet of 'Nancy With The Blue Eyes' along with the LP with the same song. The wife & I are discussing how to display it when Madison (6 yo) walks up, points at the LP and with a completely puzzled facial expression says, "Daddy....what in the world is THAT!"

I say, "It's a record baby."

She looks at me and says, "Ooooookaaaay......and just exactly what is a record?"

I fell on the floor laughing for it dawned on me that she had never seen one. I'm not kidding....she had this look like she had just seen something from another planet. Once she got the concept that it was how music used to be recorded/played, she says, "Well I can see why I don't ever see them. They're too big to put in a car CD player."

LOL.............

Tom

• Moderators

LOL

Heck, that's not too bad for a 6 year old, though. There was a guy who worked here (20 years old) who'd never heard of Felix Unger.... OR the Odd Couple.

Then it turned out that I was doing my student teaching at his Junior High School....while he was in the FIRST GRADE.

Boy, did I feel old.

Congrats Tom !! The projects just don't stop, huh?

what is the new project? are you adopting a 5 year old ?

And i thought you were just trying to be funny... [;)]

There was a guy who worked here (20 years old)

who'd never heard of Felix Unger.... Boy, did I feel old.

LOL... never heard of him either. [^o)]

ROb

Congratulations Tom.....that's great news!

About the record... the do sell frames designed just for records... I bought a few myself to hang some of my favorite records up with. I believe I bought them at Restoration Hardware you can look them up on the web.

post-13769-1381927912834_thumb.jpg