My first listen to Tubes with my Klipschorns

Dave in ABQ

Hello everyone, Ive been meaning to post this thread for a while and never get around to it. Ive owned my new Klipschorns for a little over a month and I still cant believe how great they sound despite my horrible room. The bass on the Khorns is deep and tight with a very satisfying tone, and subtle details are revealed on good recordings that I had missed on my other speakers. The Khorns really fill the room/house with beautiful music. smile.gif

When I bought my KHorns, I also got a nice little Scott 299B that Ive since taken the great advice from Craig and many others here on bringing her up slowly and testing her before plugging in to my big speakers. I bought a little Variac for $50 and I found an old Eico tube tester that while nothing fancy or probably super accurate, gave me a look into my tubes condition.

After I tested out the Scott on some cheap speakers, I finally got brave enough to hook them up to the Klipschorns with my DVD player used for input. WOW! Considering that both my KHorns crossovers and the Scott are in need of a tune up for longevity and better sound, I could not be happier. These are the first tube amps Ive ever heard and everything that everyone says about them seems true to my ears. When playing the Kronos Quartets Night prayers CD Lacrymosa track on my SS Pioneer or Kenwood receiver, there are some extremely high notes sung by the soprano female singer at her climax of the passage. With SS those notes are almost painful if the volume is up loud. With the little Scott, not only are the highs much more tamed, but there is a lushness and three dimensional sound that is hard to describe if youve never heard tubes. If any detail is lost, Im death to it as it sounds great. Of course the Khorns are very revealing so there is probably a balancing out. The sound is almost liquid like. I know there is much contention as to whether tubes color the sound or not, but I defiantly like the shades I hear. My wife too was in absolute agreement that the music is much more enjoyable and soothing with the Scott. I put on Bruce Springsteens Streets of Philadelphia and I must admit I felt so emotionally moved; my eyes teard up a bit. tears.gif I know there are probably better tube amps out there, but I sure love the sound of the little 22WPC Scott with my Klipschorns.

Now for some advice. Are there any other tube amps new or vintage for under $800 that would compare/beat the Scott 299B for sound that also has a decent phono? If I keep my Scott, which Im pretty sure I will, Ill have one of the great techs on the board rebuild her. The tubes are all Telefunkens but the 12AX7 and 7189's average only 55 on my Eico tube tester (50 being the minimum good). Therefore Ill have to allocate some money for new tubes. I was eying these ones: http://www.thetubestore.com/ehx12ax7.html

Im open to any advice, but price is a factor with me unfortunately.

Hope you enjoyed my ramblings. music.gif

Under $800

Keep the Scott, it is a great amp. Send it to NOS Valves for a rebuild.

Re-cap yoru crossovers with oil caps from Bob Crites (if they are A or AA's).

Then about $200 or less for a Philips 963 SA dvd player and $25 for a blackgate capacitor in the power supply.

That ought to burn up your $800 and you will be in audio heavin.

Chris

I agree-keep the Scott. You already like it.

They are really sweet sounding units with NICE phono stages. Well

worth it to send it off to Craig (NOS Valves) for a going over.

Money well spent, and you're good to go for quite some time. I'm

sure Craig will help you with tubes as well.

Enjoy!

Paul[:)]

Don't trust your EICO tester. Hold off on any tube purchases until the tubes are tested on a calibrated quality tester. I have seen very few out of hundreds of Telefunken 12AX7's in the Scott amp not test like new so this leads me to suspect your tester is out a calibration.

Craig

Thanks for the good advice to all. I've read enough great post on the Klipsch forum to know that new speaker crossovers and caps on my Scott should make a big difference. To be honest, I was a little afraid that the tube sound was all hype. I did not want it to be, but I'm the skeptical type. Extremely glad that I was wrong. [:)] Now as to Bob's AA rebuild, Deans Super AA's, Al's ALK's..........

Craig, thanks for the information on the tester. I hope you are correct on the Telefunken's. I bought the Eico for a princely sum of $5 from an old TV repair man. I sure trust your expertise over the workings of ancient little unit. By the way, thanks for the advice on the Scott 355 I was considering. I made one last minute bid for what I thought I could afford, and lost the auction by $5. Oh well. I was only lusting for the cool looks with the built in AM/FM tuner anyways. I'll have to keep an eye out for a nice 350b or a 333. I'm happy with my 299 anyways. Whats the best way for us to start up a chat regarding my Scott's rebuild. I'm not even sure what your services cost or how much it will need. All I know is that it does sound great already and everyone here at the Klipsch forum and at AK speak very highly of your great work. Look forward to sorting out the details and getting her rebuilt so I can enjoy some beautiful music long term.

Hey Gary, I'm looking foward to my rebuild. Did you have any modifications to your 299b done besides a basic refreshing of old caps? Anything you might have added after you had it rebuilt? Looks like you have some nice VRD's in your big system. Those sure look like some nicely built amps. Those are on my short list of eventual "final system" peices of gear.

Hey Gary, I'm looking foward to my rebuild. Did you have any modifications to your 299b done besides a basic refreshing of old caps? Anything you might have added after you had it rebuilt? Looks like you have some nice VRD's in your big system. Those sure look like some nicely built amps. Those are on my short list of eventual "final system" peices of gear.

Dave,

Craig modded my 299b back in the days when he still used auricaps. I'm not sure if he still does but to me it sounds significantly better than just refreshing with original type caps. I've heard a couple stock units and they sound flat in comparison. He also sold me a quad of NOS Bugle Boys which may account for some of the wonderful detail this amp provides.

My unit is a bit different then some other 299b's. Back in those days, Scott would sometimes use whatever parts were available so different amps of the same name sometimes had different components. Mine has larger then normal transformers from what I've been told. In fact, they packed them in so tight, you need a very long and narrow screwdriver to get to the screw that sits between the two transformers in order to bias. I also got lucky since I bought it off ebay for a reasonable price from an honest seller and it came with a very nice original walnut cabinet. About 3 months later, ebay prices began to skyrocket as people realized the potential of these old amps.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

To be honest, I was a little afraid that the tube sound was all hype. I did not want it to be, but I'm the skeptical type. Extremely glad that I was wrong. [:)] Now as to Bob's AA rebuild, Deans Super AA's, Al's ALK's..........

Yes, I found myself thinking the same thing before I tried tubes. I may be a willing victim of mass hysteria, but to my ears, they do sound better. Perhaps I just haven't listened to the right SS amps. Suppose I'd have to allow for that, since someone else I trust, Trey Cannon, thinks "the electrons don't care."

Yes Craig is tops. He went through my McIntosh C11 pre, (Finally tried it after witing almost six months since his work) and although a Juicy may be better I can see no reason to get rid of it.

As far as amps., I own a Scott 299D that was recently gone through and I can't imagine how much money you would have to spend to get the same quality sound from something more "Modern." Suffice to say the 299D would be the last thing I'd sell.

Regards,

Thank you all for the enthusiastic responses.

Gary, thanks for the information. Sounds like you have an interesting 299b with the larger transformers. I got real luck and found my 299b locally for a great price. No wood case though. I've been thinking of ideas for a little wood accent while leaving most of the amp open and free to breath.

Born2RockU, I'm looking forward to listening all over again after the rebuild.

Daddy Dee: "Yes, I found myself thinking the same thing before I tried tubes. I may be a willing victim of mass hysteria, but to my ears, they do sound better. Perhaps I just haven't listened to the right SS amps. Suppose I'd have to allow for that, since someone else I trust, Trey Cannon, thinks "the electrons don't care""

Trey might be right, but as nice as some of my vintage (granted they're in need of refreshing too) gear is, the sound of the Scott is definely different and very much to my liking. Tube Magic!! I'm a believer! [8]

126mhz , If a Jucey is better then the highly regarded C11, it must sound nice indeed. I've looked at them and they do seem very nicely built. Their price seems more then fair for their quality but out of my budget for now. Glad to hear that so many others think so well of the Scott tube gear given their low prices.

Craig, I'll email you from home tomorow. I'm at work now. Guess I should acctually do some more work instead of goofing on the fourms. [:)] I look foward to chatting with you Craig.

Dave C

Trey might be right, but as nice as some of my vintage (granted they're in need of refreshing too) gear is, the sound of the Scott is definely different and very much to my liking. Tube Magic!! I'm a believer! [8]

Dave C

Yea but Trey is near deaf sooo...............[;)]