PWK, BS, and Snake Oil

Jeff Matthews

I have heard so much minutia on this forum that it got me wondering.

First thought: Anybody in here accomplish as much as PWK in the speaker dept. of stereo hi-fi?

Second thought: What did PWK mean by a badge I am told he wore that said "BS?"

Third thought: Did PWK, who certainly would qualify to know a "little something" about his speakers, write any articles or instruction books on these monster cables, room treatments, tubes vs. SS to drive Klipsch, grill cloth materials, etc.?

Fourth thought: If so, why hasn't anybody used these materials as authority?

Fifth thought: If not, is it because these concerns are rather miniscule in the grand scheme of listening to and enjoying Klipsch speakers?

I am just wondering whether PWK bogged down in the minutia of these details or just kicked back and relaxed a little more. What kind of a man was he, and what would he say if he read this Forum lately?

EDIT: In the end, it really wouldn't matter. He was just a man.

What book?

My question was an honest one and not meant to take judgment one way or the other. I was just wondering if the guy came up with a good speaker idea, learned a little something about other factors affecting acoustics, but mainly focused on business. Or was he more of the continuing crusader, on a path for better and better?

I think the true fun of this forum for me is coupling a little knowledge, along with alot of good fun just goofing around and sharing a few ideas. I don't look at stereos as a crusade-driving force, but I am very glad to have landed where I did.

I am sure I'll check a variation out here and there, but really, the fun is in the forum itself.

It has been good to learn a few things, though - e.g. there's a reason to upgrade/refresh xovers, 60-watts can thump pretty hard with the right power supply behind it, etc.

What I think would be cool is to see some of the smaller speakers like Corns and Heresies tricked out big-time. I envision all kinds of modded boxes that would look really cool. Like an hour-glass bin, sandwiched with black grills (really, the illusion of an hour-glass bin, just the front panel would be shaped that way).

I have heard so much minutia on this forum that it got me wondering.

1. blah blah blah?

2. blah balh blah, blah blah?.....

Care to be a bit more specific. What in particular are you talking about?

Not really. Because that forces me into possibly offending someone where no offense was ever intended. I am just wondering whether PWK was a hi-fi crusader as a first priority and then, a businessman, or was he a businessman, first and then, left the details to the Devil.

What's the book say about that?

I am trying to form a mental picture about what he did. Was he always trying different-sized rooms, with different treatments, using different foams, carpets, rugs here.... and then "no, what about here," and then "no, what about here?" Or did he build some good speakers that worked pretty good in his place, put them on the market and let everyone else fight about what made them sound the best?

What book?

....... I was just wondering if the guy came up with a good speaker idea, learned a little something about other factors affecting acoustics, but mainly focused on business. Or was he more of the continuing crusader, on a path for better and better?.....

blah ......blah.....blah

READ the book. You clearly have no knowledge of Klipsch and his background....Amazon.com is waiting for your book order.

The devil is in the details...

----

Many of us treat audio/hi-fi as a hobby and enjoy the little things.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Seeing as I think the speakers are good enough, already, I tend to think about how to package them in more appealing boxes. I think furniture will probably be my hobby in my next life - after I finish this durn house.

Others may be more than happy with the way they look and want to focus on sound a little more.

For me, for example, I hear those Heresy III's run upward of what $1600. Those little speakers are good, but I think that as small as they are, they don't sell themselves as standing out based on appearance. Functionally, they stand out, but my belief is you gotta get the customer to want to listen, first. That's why I picture a razzle-dazzle box design for the Heresy - as well as the Cornwall. That's alot of dough for a plain, square box.

I offered to send you my SPL meter (twice) when the wonder posts were flying a month ago about how loud you listened and you refused to buy one to find out. No response on that offer. [8-)]

I posted a fairly complete Dope from Hope collection directed particularly at you to help get a leg up on just these kind of questions. I get the sense here that you did not read it. [:'(]

I sort of expect that when folks attempt to inform you of what the PWK book says you will argue with them about that. [:P]

For starters, just a summary response will do. I might want to buy the book later, but I was just trying to get a flavor and not buy into the whole meal.

\

Don't take the lazy way out - buy the book - you certainly can afford it...and the last thing I'd like to see happen is another thread of misinformation. Don't delegate the effort. Sometimes you just gotta do it for yourself - besides you find it quite an interesting read. [;)]

Jeff,

You ask interesting questions. I do work in auditory science & have read some about PWK, although I never had the opportunity to meet him.

He lived during a very exciting time in audio. Just look at all the breakthroughs and changes that occurred in the 2nd half of the 20th century. Truly remarkable times!

PWK wrote articles in scholarly journals (e.g. Audio Engineering Society - of which he was elected a Fellow - not a trivial honor), he held patents, and he started and ran a successful business. Not bad accomplishments. He is certainly considered & respected as a member of a small, elite group. Yes, he had the credentials, accomplishments and was well-respected.

One thing that I always find intriguing is how the hobby (for lack of a better word) has changed. Much like Father-Son projects that involved fixing/modifying cars (or ham radio), so was audio. There was a popular movement to build amplifiers & electronics (Eico, Dynaco, Heathkit and even Hafler had kits you could build). You learned quite a bit in the process also. Similar things happened with speaker building projects.

Although I was only a lad back in the 60s & 70s (when this DIY aspect was starting to fade), I remember the conversation was at somewhat more sophisticated level (given the current technology). Folks understood the difference between wiring a capacitor or inductor in series or in parallel in order to produce a filter. I hate to say it but I sometimes wonder if this basic knowledge is currently understood by those who are adamant about what "flavor" the cap is constructed from etc. I do not remember that kind of silliness back then. But I probably have a selective memory also.

You have got me reminiscing now....

Good Luck,

-Tom

Well, why not - I'll give a few of these a shot.

First - I'm sure there are several - Jim Lansing, Ed Villchur, Roy Allison, Henry Kloss and the guys at Western Electric / Altec, RCA and Bell Labs come to mind. Look 'em up on the web. Some interesting stuff there.

Second - Actually the button was a bit more scatalogical than BS. It was PWK's response to Amar Bose's claims to speaker design. (Can I say Amar Bose? I don't want to get anybody sued...)

Third - Find the "Dopes from Hope." These are the flyers PWK periodically sent out to his dealers. They address just about everything on your list in plain English, and appear to be based on research and common sense. Reprints show up on ebay from time to time.

Fourth - People do.

Fifth - Well, let me put on my "Joe Metaphor" hat for a minute. This morning I had Raisin Bran for breakfast. Then I added milk, a banana and some blueberrys purchased at a ruinous rate from the grocer. Think of the Klipschs as the cereal. You can improve them to your taste with different amps, cables and what have you. You can even decide to change your preferences. Someone might suggest (here's that metaphor again) peaches instead of bananas, or using Monster Cable instead of Audioquest. If you like it, great, if you don't, go back to bananas or try strawberries. A lot of the people here have pretty strong ideas, so there will be some spirited discussions from time to time, but generally it's not personal.

PWK, from the couple of times I met him, struck me as someone who took his work seriously, but not himself. There are others on this forum who worked with him for many years who could give you a better idea. The posts, particulary HDBR's, are usually entertaining and worth the effort to locate.

I think he would have gotten a kick out of the forum, although he might have been tempted to administer "dope slaps" to some of the participants.

I believe the BS Button was something Paul Klipsch flashed whenever ANY "expert" extolled the virtues of their particular wares or the superiority of their particular design if PWK didn't believe it had merit...his opinion but certainly an educated opinion wouldn't you agree???

Bill

Not really. Because that forces me into possibly offending someone where no offense was ever intended. I am just wondering whether PWK was a hi-fi crusader as a first priority and then, a businessman, or was he a businessman, first and then, left the details to the Devil.

Having not read the book yet, (Actually, I didn't know one existed until now) I might make a error in judgment, but lets look at this with a dash of common sense.

I am just wondering whether PWK was a hi-fi crusader as a first priority and then, a businessman....

Does it really make a difference where he placed his priorities regarding this matter. He spent a lifetime creating HiFi products that are still regarded by many as some of the absolute best ever produced. And, since he was able to carve out a business that continues to this day, me must have known a little something about the HiFi audio business.

or was he a businessman, first and then, left the details to the Devil.

Again, does it really matter. PWK was an Engineer, and with that in mind, I can say from experience that engineers live to analyze and solve "The Details" problems.

However, I would love to know the story behind the BS Button.