OT/Going to Houston in a couple of weeks

SteelerFan

What to see? Not much. Galveston is 45 min. south. Great Seafood on "The Strand." If you're curious about Texas history, the San Jacinto Monument and Battleship Texas are a neat little excursion. You can take an elevator up to the top of the monument.

Johnson Space Center was already mentioned. We have the Museum of Natural Science, which is not all that shabby. I'd recommend it. Neaby is the Museum of Fine Arts if you're into art.

Our zoo sucks. So forget going there.

If you are into the party scene, they've begun a few years back to really make an effort downtown. It's a hopping evening place to go restaurant/bar-hopping. Definitely not a New Orleans by any standard, but FYI.

Other than that, you'll find just about everyone is very friendly. Prices are generally cheap. If you sort of quietly study about our cost of living down here, you'll know why we have it made.

For a moderate-to-nice Mexican restaurant, we have Pappasito's. It's a local chain. Pappadeux's is Pappas' version of seafood. For more upscale in the seafood dept., you can try Willie G's on Post Oak.

If you are a shopper, the Galleria is a mall of international recognition.

If you like Chinese food, you'll be in the right town. I would highly recommend Kim Son downtown. There are many, many others that are very good, but due to the numbers they can be hit and miss.

I hear you all don't have spicy food up there. Bland Steak and Potatos.

Be sure to get hot sauce, jalapenos, and chili con carne with your Mexican food. Yum! Yum!

And finally, if you want to experiment just for once in the Chinese Food area, try a Vietnamese dish. We have a large Viet population. Kim Son also serves Viet dishes. My all-time favorite is called "Com Thit Nuong." It is char-broiled pork barbecue strips over white rice with fish sauce on the side, as well as a few tomatoes and cucumbers on the side. You MUST request that they add on the fried egg, sunny side up, the Vietnamese quishe (sp.) and the shredded pork. Not many of us red-neck Houstonians know about this dish, but all my friends who have tried it have like it alot. Don't be afraid of the fish sauce on the side. Go for it. Just pour it on. It is like a spicy vinegar (which is probably what it is).

The Menil Collection Museum complex is worth the trip (if you like art), especially the Dan Flavin installation, the Byzantine Chapel Fresco building and the Cy Twombly gallery (all free standing). Avoid the Rothko Chapel if you're feeling a little depressed. Could be your last stop.

Goode BBQ beats the Pappachains.

Stay inside the loop.

Tacquerias are everywhere. Eat up!

Great Vietnamese and Thai food, too.

Stay off the freeways (they're "free" because no one would pay for the experience).

Avoid the suburbs at all costs. Miles and miles of strip centers and chain stores.

Some fun dirt trails in Memorial Park for off-road bicycles.

There is a lot to do here. Up on the NE side of town there is Tour 18 which has some of the most memorable golf holes in the world. Amen Corner, TPC Sawgrass, Disney, Blue Monster at Doral. Lots of golf courses and some serious betting going on.

As for food you need to go to Lopez mexican down the SW Freeway at Murphy rd. Best salsa in Houston. Stay away from the chain restaurants as they have generic food. Drexlers BBQ is a good place to get some ribs. If you like steaks then I would suggest Vic and Anthony's near the Enron, errr Minute Maid Park. Great steaks but rather pricey. Around $60 a plate. As far as seafood try and find a Babins. Great fish, shrimp and appetizers.

For the museum district we have a nice museum and arboretum with an IMAX. If you like movies then you should go to Edwards Marquee, they have movies shown in IMAX. Just go to www.chron.com for the local happening.

Let me know when you are going to be there and if I am there at the same time maybe we could go to dinner.

Do you like mexican food?

Steve

I apperciate the invite Steve, I'll be there the 17th-20th. Problem is I'm going to meet a nice woman I've been corresponding with quite awhile and I'll be pretty tied up with her. Ok, bad choice of words there lol, I don't mean to give the wrong idea. Now if she's not what she claims I'll probably end up with plenty of free time.[;)]

Thanks to everyone else who responded, the woman I'm meeting claims there isn't much to see there also but you guys have given me some good ideas.

Does anyone know of an audio store not too far from George Bush International? She tells me she lives about 10 minutes from the airport. Maybe I'll get to see the new reference line while I'm there.[:)]

There is a Fry's electronics at I45 and West rd. just south of the airport. Some good equipment, mostly bad. Last time I was there they had the Onkyo NR1000. What a beast. Good selection of displays though. There is also the Home Theater Store. Nice but small demo rooms. Sort of pricey. Tweeter used to have Klipsch but they discontinued them. Nice store though.

Another good Tex-Mex is Chuys at Alabama and Westheimer inside the loop. You can get the Elvis Presley Memorial Combo and feel like a whale once you leave. And their margaritas aren't to bad either. On Saturday's you can visit the St. Arnolds Brewery at 1:00 and sample their brews. Very nice ale's. Cheers.

I have lived in Houston since 69 and there is a lot to do and see. Plus you can wear shorts almost all year long. Summers are pretty hot, lots of ladies in light dresses.