Please Don't Bid On CWs from Silver Spring, MD

garymd

My friend is trying to get this pair (ebay). I'll be checking them out on Monday. Turns out I know the seller. I bought my son's KG4s from him last year.

I can't stop anyone from bidding but I kindly ask that you let these go so they don't get bid up too high. They're CBRs with no risers. Absolutely mint looking. I'll know better on Monday.

Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spoke to the guy yesterday and he says they're immaculate! He did the refinishing himself and he's a perfectionist. I can't wait to see them. He had a pair of Lascalas (along with the KG4s I bought) when I saw him last year and I have no idea where he found these. Very pretty. They should have the mitered corners too. All they need are risers.

If my friend decides the price is too high, I'll let you guys know. I can't hold them for anyone however. I had a dishwasher delivered this morning and more appliances to come. Kitchen remodel doesn't begin until May so space is limited.

I'm sort of hoping he doesn't take them because he might decide to buy my Heresys instead and I could use the money (and space!).

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Gary-

My take on your request was that forum members were asked to not bid early, which only serves to drive up the price. If that is what you intended, then I have no problem with that request. It NEVER makes sense to bid on eBay before the final seconds, with or without the aid of a sniping service. Any bid before the closing seconds only drives up the price, which benefits sellers but not potential buyers. The format used by eBay is more like a silent auction, rather than a real-time auction.

On the other hand, if you were requesting that forum members curb their interest and not place any bid on an item that they would like to own, then I disagree with the propriety of that request. Everyone has a right to indicate to an eBay seller what an item is worth to him/her, as in a silent auction. It's not fair to the seller or to other potential buyers to request that interested persons sit on their hands and not make good faith offers to the seller.

It could be (and has been) argued that bid sniping is unfair, especially to sellers; I disagree. Seller's, who voluntarily select eBay as the vehicle to sell their items, have the right to set reserves, below which the items will not be sold. Every bidder (including your friend) has the right to place bids that indicate what the items are worth to her/him. I have not yet heard a persuasive argument in favor of placing bids prior to the closing seconds of the "auction."

If my take on your request is wrong, then I disagree. While its laudable and honorable to help a friend get a good deal, IMHO it must be done in a way that is as fair to all as is humanly possible. You know . . ."Do unto others .. " If you wouldnt want it done to you, then dont do it to someone else.

It NEVER makes sense to bid on eBay before the final seconds, with or without the aid of a sniping service. Any bid before the closing seconds only drives up the price, which benefits sellers but not potential buyers. The format used by eBay is more like a silent auction, rather than a real-time auction.

It could be (and has been) argued that bid sniping is unfair, especially to sellers; I disagree. Seller's, who voluntarily select eBay as the vehicle to sell their items, have the right to set reserves, below which the items will not be sold. Every bidder (including your friend) has the right to place bids that indicate what the items are worth to her/him. I have not yet heard a persuasive argument in favor of placing bids prior to the closing seconds of the "auction."

I am not going to say sniping is fair or unfair, but it is the most disappointing aspect of Ebay. Having been sniped, and also the sniper, it is sometimes fun but mostly an irritating way to buy something, have lost items by a few dollors, and won by a few dollars, wait all week to the last seconds and lose because you guessed wrong at somethings value,especially by a dollar! Not that I want to pay too much for something either, but when you really are set to buy and lose by bad luck rather than willing to pay to get it. Oh well, sometimes we can get a good deal on Ebay (usually though the going price or higher) sometimes we lose (even by a dollar!) just the way it is, good place to find anything though. Sometimes wish the heck with the snipping, it would be great to have a real time auction, highest bidder wins (going once, going twice, SOLD!), now that's fair in an auction.

IMHO, no such thing as a fair auction. Even the FAA and 4-H auctions I participated in at HS were rigged to some degree. And no type of auction has more potential to falsely drive the price up than a live auction.

There are more scumbags out there willing to steal your $$, than there are wild animal turds in the woods.

Just know what your bidding on, and know what your finances will allow. Having said that, now you now how to bid with sniper software. Any bid before the last 5 seconds in an auction is only serves to drive the price up.