Olympics opening

3dzapper

If I were an athlete, I'd be embarassed by the 'gayness' of the festivities. What was that deal with the dancer last night with the Rooster hairdo and spidey-web outfit? It's hilarious listening to the announcers trying to describe what we're about to see and what it supposedly 'represents'.

Bunch of artistic mumbo-jumbo imho!

However, very early this morning I tuned in and Peter Gabriel and band were doing John Lennon's 'Imagine' That was uber-cool! Sometimes they really get it right.

Michael

post-10755-13819281575088_thumb.jpg

HELP, I'm on FIRE!!!

Those guys were fun to watch.

As cheesy as some perceive the Olympic ceremonies to be, it is generally good spirited and good ART. And every once in a decade or two, you get a moment like the fire/bow and arrow at Barcelona '92 being shot into the cauldron - simply amazing.

It's also neat to watch those athletes (from smaller nations in particular) walk into that stadium with that WOW look on their faces. Unlike many US athletes who will get to experience many chances to be in the limelight, knowing those athletes from those small nations will get this ONCE really gives weight to watching them experience this.

I loved the 2004 summer olympic opening ceramony. The human greek statues was just awesome in my opinion.

My wife really liked the human ski jump thing last night.

What I don't understand though is why all the music durring the parade of nations was all american disco and american pop music.

You guys realize, of course, that my comments were entirely tongue-in-cheek. Right?

I wouldn't have made those comments if I hadn't watched and enjoyed nearly the whole darned thing last night. It is spectacular and very artistic, but some of it loses a bit in translation. It is nearly an impossible spectacle and AN is right about watching the athletes' faces as they witness the spectacle.

M

Michael,

Yeh, I took your comments to be o.k. I appreciate the pics, since I missed it.

I saw a bit on TV last night.... eight women carrying in the olympic flag.

Did anyone else notice when it was handed off to the arm swinging honor guard, the one poor guy who had his arm swinging opposite to the other seven.

I hate when that happens.