New Toys Are Here! :)

meagain

Hi Born - How was Hawaii?

Note: My HK & Scott have different ports for speaker wire. We ran a different type of wire for the Scott and each run is 20'. Not exactly a fair test, but better than a poke in the eye. We are running 14g wire on everything. Which I don't think is best either. We need wire anyway (and interconnects) so I think this will be the next purchase.

Going to warm up the Scott. Wish it had a remote. No volume control on the Jolida CDP remote. I could have sworn I read it did. Maybe newer versions do.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Now, imagine what the next level of amp sounds like. The problem is how to imagine it, isn't it? Honestly, I don't think you'll get as much as some would hope for you out of the Scott. It must be its high ratings come from the nostalgia of making something from a junkyard work okay again. I'm sure it would sound better than most of your friends' systems, but probably not much better, if any, than your HK. And no headroom. Your HK might sound better.

What do you think so far?"

Here we go again. Jeff's avitar is perfect!!

I suppose the joy of listening to K horns which are bigger than a washer and dryer, is simply nostalgia and they are nothing special.

I have to let the cat out of the bag. Jeff, please don't take this as a personal attack, if you were here in Vegas we would be friends and listen to horns, drink beer and swing hammers (or nail guns) on the weekends. I defend you below.

I think everyone here knows that I am an attorney. When I first started reading your posts, I thought, "What is up here, this guy hangs in there to the end with his position." Then I found out you were a litigator. It all fell together. I even had to go tell my wife (who is also an attorney). We both laughed.

Again, please don't take this as a personal attack, I will defend your position below.

Amongst attorneys, there are transactional attorneys and litigators. Litigators are what you see on TV. They fight in court and are adverse to the other party. Transactional attorneys, as the name suggest, handle transactions. The best way that I can describe what transactional attorneys do is this. Think about when you have to deal with customer service trying to get a a charge reversed because the company made a mistake. You will deal with people who have no idea what they are doing, sit on hold for an hour and just get frustrated (most of the time) and noting gets done at the end of the day. If you have a complex transaction that involves tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, you need everyone to be on the ball or it will never happen. So teams of attorneys who specialize in the area (Real estate, securities, corporate law, lending, etc) are used and things usually go pretty smoothly.

Before going in-house with a major developer, I worked at an "ivory tower firm" where the "run of the mill" transaction that I worked on was about $50,000,000. Now that I am in-house, in addition to the larger transactions, I also deal with "smaller" transactions below $10,000,000. In these "smaller" transactions, some sellers use "their attorney they have been using for years" who is always a litigator attempting to do transactions.

Now here is the thing. Transactional attorneys play nice. We do not fight because it is not necessary. These $50,000,000 to $100,000,000 transactions go very smoothly because we are all transactional attorneys and deal with each other over and over because there are really not that many that work on these bigger deals. But, every time I have a litigator involved, suddenly we are arguing over and over about nothing at all. It is like clockwork. It is always a miserable experience and the arguing is always unnecessary as big picture, both parties want the same thing at the end of the day, to close the transaction (2 winners instead of a winner and a loser). Many times I now spend as much time on a $8,000,000 deal as a $50,000,000. Its crazy. All anyone has to say is "I'm dealing with a litigator" and we all know. They want to figth over a few thousand dollars when the carry on the purchase price is way over that every day and the attorney time is $250 to $500+ per hour. Its just crazy. (sound familiar - 20 page threads over nothing at all).

Now, here is where I defend Jeff. If I needed a litigator, I would probably use Jeff. I bet here is very good. He is like a pitbull and will not give up. Period. He is like the terminator, blow him up, set him on fire, crush him in a crusher (well, that actually did stop the terminator, but not Jeff!!) and he still keeps comming. As long as he does not lose site of the dollars and knows when to settle, he is probably the man. But you have to realize the world that he lives in. All they do is argue with each other, many times just to argue. I went to a CLE seminar on "professionalism" which was basically a bunch of litigators, and they were all fighing with each other and not one would stop until their point was heard and agreed to (which did not happen). I think that I am saying that Jeff cannot help himself, but that the same quality makes him very good at what he does.

Jeff, I am also an engineer and in certain areas, I am "the expert." But I came here with my hat in my hand and learned a lot from the pros here. For all of my technical knowledge, AL, Dean, Craig, Bob, Mark, Dana, Scott and others (sorry of I forgot anyone) all know way more than I do in this area.

We all like you here Jeff, just tone it down a little. OK - for entertainment pruposes, one crazy 20 page post per month.

Chris.

PS - while in Huston I was hit by the COO of a major corporation, who, while in the course of performing his job was driving recklessly to get to a meeting and I have a copy of the memo from the presidnet of the corporation saying he authorized the COO to drive 100 miles an hour on the wrong side of the street to make the meeting... I have serious soft tissue damage and because of the accident I lost my job, my home, my family, can no longer practice law, and am addicted to pain killers. The only thing that I can do is type on this forum using my nose to hit the keys on my computer. The company has a $100,000,000 umbrealla policy and they have a defect in their corporate docs such that the board of directors and officers are not shielded from personal liability. Wanna talk?

Tiger

That was a very succinct post. I think you are spot on. My two best friends are attorneys (litigators). During golf season it can get very competitive on top of the gambling.

I'm not a lawyer. Wasn't smart enough. LSAT's were only high average.

JT

meagain;

Thanx for askin' !!!

Maui, Hawaii was incredible, ...as usual. Had a blast Scuba divin', watchin whales and seeing the coast line....oh, and breathing the fresh air ! The sun was intense, butthe ppols were quite enjoyable.

As far as your Scott is concerned.; ...send it to Craig at NOS Valves...he is magic !

I've gotten to the point where I just ignore his posts.

Seriously Jeff, more times than not you simply don't know what you're talking about.

I second that emotion............

While I do understand Jeff is a litigator (that was obvious within a post or two), I believe we should be able to separate our professions from our hobbies or at least recognize that others may indeed know more about a particular subject - IMO.

I learned something again. I believe the Scott 299b is 20wpc?

It's REALLY loud at 4-4.5 on the dial but I pushed it to 5 on the dial and can't imagine needing more than that for volume. I'm sitting pretty close to the speakers though, but even if farther away - I can't imagine this not being able to make me happy.

Jeff - It's true!

Wow... I didn't mean to start anything by my comments.

I have been away a long time and am new to the board again. I don't know Jeff from Adam, and don't know much about him. I certainly do not know what he does for a living or what he does in his personal life.

To be honest, I have enjoyed a number of his posts. However, when someone does not have any personal experience with some of the equipment they are slamming or surmising about, I gotta draw the line there. I have never heard a Crown amp in my life, so would certainly not be in a position to comment on it in any way, shape or form. Now, if Jeff has heard a Scott amp that has been rebuilt by Craig (or someone else), then that's another story, but I do not think that is the case her. If it is, I sincerely apologize.

Mike

PS. Meagain, I told you it would make plenty of noise at half volume. When I have mine at 6 on the dial it is pretty darn loud. Does it have the slam of some of those SS offerings? No, it does not... but the mids and highs to my ears far outweigh the deficiencies of the bottom end. YMMV.

It was sort of a thing where I got a deal on it if I bought the LaScalas. It would have been more if bought separately. I'm going to open up the guts part of it to have a looksee.

Be very careful. There are LETHAL voltages in there!!! Do not open it up until it has been powered down for at least a few hours. The last time we had a short circuit out your way, the entire East Coast's power went out!![:o]

Rick

post-12829-13819281666106_thumb.jpg