Crown For Sale

rigma

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS:

Guys, after eight pages of Crown praise, I just got to say this. (ran two DC-300's with Khorns & LaS in the late 70's)

With all due respect and IMHO, if you use the large watt Crowns for anything other than driving LF.......a nice tube front end is a must.......

Please don't beat me up too bad.........

Terry

I've gotcha covered on that one Terry: this week, anyway. Crown 150 and a Peach

BS

I don't know about that Odyssey stuff Todd, not much on real specs or construction, but their website really stresses their pure anodized front panel, laser etched, not silkscreened. They have etched glass fronts that are backlit available.

For like 4x the money of that Crown, the Stratos looks like pure cosmetics to me man. C'mon Todd, get your head back outta the clouds and keep the Crown. IT'll be around long after the Odyssey company is bulldozed for a WalMart.

Michael

My D75A will be here Monday. I need to make up some cables. What type of input cable does it use (XLR or 1/4")?

Chris

depending on the version....

it may have 1/4 phone, or barrier block inputs

I'll wait until it gete here. I have been using Neutrix ends for the pro stuff. Its interesting to buy them. You can ask for Neutrix and pay one price (pretty low). Or ask for another brand, and it is 2 times the cost and when you open the package, it has a Neutrix package inside, marked as a Neutrix! Gotta love marketing.

Chris

the outputs,

again depending on the version, should be binding posts

you will really like the D model ...

class a operation up to maybe 2 watts, black noise floor

I was actually more concerned with the inputs, but if I need to get soem pro ends for the outputs, I'll gte some for my QSC too because the bannana's are not cutting it. They are vertical instead of horiontal, which causes them to rotate out of the posts.

This is the endorsement for the Crown that I was wanting before I purchased. This is a good solution to a problem as I was a little worried about the hiss when I build tehe new speakers with the JBL 2404's.

By the way, the Lansing Heritage forum that you recommended is a great site. These guys are really hard core. It seems like over half the people there are building ther speakers and crossovers from scratch. There is a lot of horn testing, etc. Good group and a great search engine.

Chris

well ... you know, Meagain

a Listen is worth a thousand recommendations ...[:)]

D models ... are an older design, fanless

preferred models are Series 2

some are still in production, ie D-75/45

D75A, is a low wattage, monitor, or horn amp ....very highly regarded by our own LeoK

Micro-techs,Com-techs... are similar output designs, fan cooled, with the nod going to the post 1997 Com-Techs for more protection/ signal monitorig

Macro-techs ... a step up, have a lower impedance output section than the above

lets lump the K model, Studio Reference amps together as they're more similar than not

all have ultra-low output impedance, read that ultra high Damping Factor..3000- 10,000

a driver section that has hardly measureable distortion, like -75 to -110dB down ...

some infrequently seen amps, AmCron, GeoCron..

some are export, or medical/ laboratory amps, sometime used as sub amps, 1 kiloWatt..!

some private label stuff, like the Pulse, made for a music store

some cheap stuff like PowerBase, lotsa watts, but no frills, still crown quality

and some new, made in China amps, XL, XLS, CE

some new USA amps, CT, CTs

almost all Crowns, are Dual Mono, that is 2 separate amps in one case

Who wants this 150? I'm going to sell it, no kidding. Just $225, or exactly what I paid for it.

what ..?? giving up on Crown, sooo soon ...??

Yes,

My never ending cycle of amps continues. This one sounds good, too. I'm not much of a vintage guy outside of the speaks...just bought it because I felt some obligation to Rigma for even expressing interest and the fact that I had sold the SM-70 only two days beforehand: hence, no power...

This is for sale! Where are all the takers? I'm not profiteering in any way...I paid $225, hell maybe Rigma wants it back, but I have not asked.

I'm utterly confused about the Crowns. D, DC, Series II, A, etc.

Still trying to figure out if one, and which one, would be good for me. Duke?

Rigma - Do you have any left at this point?

Meagin,

Send your Scott to Craig for a rebuild. Have him add a loop as I have described way too many times now.

Buy the D150A that is for sale here. You are not going to get a better amp for $225

In another thread there is a member who is upgrading active crossovers and will have a Rane 2 way for sale soon. Buy this too. It will be cheap.

You will have a quality amp with some balls for your woofers (which is where SS gear excels) and plenty of silky smooth tube power for your midrange and highs (which is where tubes excel). You can use the crossovers that Dean built for you to divide between the squakers and the tweeters. You also already have the Jolida CD player.

You will have an awesome system that will rival systems that retail for well over $10,000 and this madness can end! This is where we (the forum) excel. We can get you into some gear for cheap that compares to really expensive new gear. You can then spend your time listening to music and buying CD's and building that Music Server that you husband wants to build.

Chris