Crown For Sale

rigma

i guess my PM didn't go thru ...

Major Bummer

Duke, if it's any consolation to you, I asked for the single 300 at 4:25 yesterday afternoon. I just confirmed it this am after he was sure that dwillie wanted 2. I believe he acted in good faith in the order in which received notice of intent to purchase.

Don't be mad at me dude. There is still those 150's available and they're just as clean and a good price.

Michael

I'm not Mad, Michael ......[8o|]

I only look that way .........[:)]

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the D-series has a better Signal-to-Noise Ratio:

MT-1200 is >100dB below full output.

K-2 is >100dB below full output.

D-75A is 106dB below full output.

D150AII is 110dB below full output.

The D-series has less Total Harmonic Distortion at full rated power:

MT-1200 is Less than 0.05% at full rated power from 20 Hz to 1 kHz increasing linearly to 0.1% at 20 kHz.

K-2 is .1% THD at 1KHz.

D75A is Less than 0.001% from 20 Hz to 400 Hz and increasing linearly to 0.05% at 20 kHz delivering rated power into 8 ohms/channel.

D150AII is the same through 80 watts.

The D-series has less Intermodulation Distortion:

MT-1200 is less than .05% from below .164 watts to full power

K-2 is ?

D-75A is less than .05% from .01 to .25 watts and .01% thereafter

D150AII is same as D75A.

Here's the MT-1200 specs: http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/mtspecs.htm

Here's the K-2 specs: http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/102010.pdf

Here's the D150AII specs: http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/k1075-9.pdf

Here's the D-75 specs: http://www.djdepot.com/info/dseries.shtml

Just to sum it up, I'd say the D-series are cleaner amps, but the D75A and D150AII have substantially less power.

The MT-1200 is rated to drive 295 wpc at 8 ohms.

The K-2 is rated to drive 500 wpc at 8 ohms.

The D-75A is rated to drive 35 wpc at 8 ohms.

The D150AII is 95 wpc into 8 ohms.

Duke,

Thanks, I am tri-amping (using a Pro Yamaha D2040 dividing network) so this looks like the hot ticket.

Rigma, I will take one D75A please! I love buying audio equipment.

Chris

So Meagin, what are your plans for your new Crown? Is Mr, Wescott going to me moding his networks for two way operation (should be pretty easy to do, if any mods are even required at all)?

meagain wrote the following post at 02-15-2006 5:49 AM:

I didn't get a Crown. I'm even reverting in my understanding level on all this and don't think I can get what I want. I think it only exists in my head.

It exists. You'll get there, your just trying to do it in two months. Just relax and enjoy the journey. Buy a component and enjoy for a while. If a deal on somehting that you want pops up, jump on it. Otherwise, wait until you are really ready. This is a hobby and you should have a feeling of satisfaction and fullfillment from it. Just get your Scott rebuilt by Craig (and don't forget to add the pre-out/amp-in loop).

I have "what I want" and its about to leave. I am sitting here listening to Billy Joel "Just the way you are" tonight before going to bed. The sax is soooooo sweeeeet. I sold my K Horns. They will be gone very soon. Man I am going to miss them! These things are so nice looking and just dissapper when the music is playing.

I was considering putting a small set of maggies in my two channel to listen too while I complete my new speakers. Now I don't know. Horns are just so nice, I think my Belles and I may become very close. I hope they like being tri-amped.

Chris

I wouldn't sell the khorns if I were you. :)

I can't see being able to add a component here & there without having a grasp of the big picture. It's getting complicated with all the possible pieces. I posted to my Norh thread. I was fully ready to chill out for a while but once hubby got an earful of the Khorns with Dean's x-overs, he's all wound up about seeing what else they can do. He's away right now & keeps calling me. He can't figure it out either.

May I ask what the difference is between the d75 and the microtech 1200? Besides maybe watts?

D75 is like 40 wpc and 1200 is 400. Tremendous difference. I posted a link to all the manuals above. There is considerable construction difference in each Crown series. Microtech will also sport a cooling fan and is capable of various modules being installed, such as for crossover, etc. Microtech is also very stable, I think capable of 2 ohm loads (but don't quote me, okay?)

D75, D150 are older design and technology. Really Crown's earliest forays into amplification- classic stuff from the late 60's I believe. Microtech came along much much later.

Duke, I think D75 was also popular amp for headphone distribution in studios, as was it's predecessor, the D60. That is one reason the S/N and distortion was kept so low in it's design.

Michael

Duke, I think D75 was also popular amp for headphone distribution in studios, as was it's predecessor, the D60. That is one reason the S/N and distortion was kept so low in it's design.

Michael

Near-field monitor and headphone amp ...

was also a common use for that little amp ...(still)

You are correct ..!

Meagain, I found this for you to help explain. When I was looking this morning at these same specs for your HK, I found your HK to be in range with the MT-1200 and K-2 as far as Signal to Noise Ratio and THD and IMD. So, I wondered why is there a difference. Here's what Crown says FWIW:

Supperior Power Supply

So far we explained the V-I plane, and we showed how the CTs circuit design (high rail voltage, high current capacity) results in bigger V-I plots than the competition. Bigger V-I plots equal louder sound.

Whats more, CTs amps can deliver rated power into almost any load, partly due to their power supply design. Lets explain.

1. CTs 2-channel amps have regulated (stiff) power supplies whose power does not sag with low-impedance loads. Thats because the power supplies themselves are low impedance, thanks to the large semiconductors, efficient switching and regulating control.

2. CTs amps use huge electrolytic filter capacitors to store energy received through the AC power cord. This stored energy helps the amp deliver sustained high power.

Lets explain. AC power is not continuous, like DC is. Thats because power is voltage times current. Since the AC voltage is approximately a sine wave, twice per cycle the voltage is zero, and so is the power (Figure 13). The amplifier needs some energy storage to draw on during those brief periods of no power from the AC mains.

powerv1.gif

Figure 13. Power vs. time of the AC mains.

Amplifiers with small, cheap electrolytic capacitors have little energy storage. They also provide poor filtering, so the power supply will have a fairly high ripple voltage. If you drive such an amp with a tone burst, the level of the tone burst will drop over time, and will show some power-supply ripple (Figure 14).

burstdk.gif

Figure 14. Tone-burst response of competitive amp. (Graph is simulated. Actual data will be coming in the future.)

In contrast, Crown amps use large electrolytic capacitors with lots of energy storage. When you drive a Crown amp with a tone burst, the level of the burst stays constant over time, with very little ripple (Figure 15). Same for a sustained bass note. Thats why bass sounds so awesome through Crown amps.

burst.gif

Figure 15. Tone-burst response of CTs amp. (Graph is simulated. Actual data will be coming in the future.)

Meagain, here's some discussion re: damping factor that, when it is high, gives better, more accurate bass: I couldn't paste, so here's the link:

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/damping_factor.pdf

I think for you to get improved sound quality in an amp, you'd have to look at both of these factors. That's why Michael's comment about being light on the gadgets and "all balls" is a propo.

If it is true that the higher the damping factor, the punchier and more accurate the bass, then here's a comparison of damping factors between the Crown MT-1200 and a what appears to be nice Onkyo 100 wpc receiver:

The damping factor on the Crown is >1000.

The damping factor on the Onkyo is 60.

I tried to find it on the HK AVR 435, but HK does not list it.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/products/product-detail.aspx?id=16&catId=12&catName=Onkyo+Receivers

My guess, just a guess so far, is that a huge part of the difference in attaining accurate, punchier sound might have to do with having almost 20x the damping factor.

I am trying to find out what specification term, if any, is used to describe the info. relating to the power supply's ability to store current when the A/C current's sine wave drops to low/zero. Anybody know if there is such a stated specification and, if so, what it is?

kaiser,

I don't think I will have anything left after I go through all the PM's I received. I will not be able to do that until later this afternoon, work demands are heavy today. I will let everyone know who gets them, it will be in the order I received their commitments. I had no idea the demand would be this high. Should have priced them higher..LOL..

Rigma

Once Colter's point sunk in real good I started thinking of doing a little creative financing but alas to no avail[:'(]

Early bird gets the worm (Amp)[:(]

I have been think big tube power for my LaScalla's but when I really started thinking about that 20db headroom I was ready to change course[:D]

I'll try to get my $^%$ together quicker next time Colt[:'(], I do appreciate you waking me up though[:o]

I'm sure there are going to be many happy ears after this thread has come to bare[;)]