"Eclipse" Cornerhorns? What the ....?

dougdrake

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you're going to make a corner horn, why not go with the hands-down gold-standard in that particular niche.

It's design has outlived all of its competition. They were different and original designs, too.

What did that get them? I'll tell you in one word: SQUAT.

That is the indisputable fact, then why repeat history? You already know where that goes.

DM

• 2 weeks later...

Corvette, re: wood wedges in the throat:

This refers to a thread about the "splitter" facing the woofer that is the first division of the two parts of the horn. I think this is the Type G Motorboard upgrade that appeared sometime in the 60s. Paul told me that the 'splitter" improved performance at the top end of the horns ranage, so the action is rather like a phase plug in a HF horn. I'd like to see that thread again myself and take the time to review current thought on it.

Good heavens, NO! None of the above!

The throat splitting wedge existed well before the 60's. See attached 1957 Klipsch brochure showing a cut-through Khorn and note the splitting wedge in the (at the time 6x13") throat.

Also, it is a hard-surface 45 degree reflector, not a phase plug! No phase correction going on there - let me ask, how is it correcting phase issues? Well, it's doesn't and it never has and never will!

Also in 1962, when Klipsch switched to the from the EV woofer to the CTS, the throat cavity was experimented with, and ended up being narrowed to the 3x13" that we see today. Some Khorns left the factory with additional wedges (evidently experimental) in the throat area AS WELL AS the traditional splitting wedges. I want to say that forum member LarryC had a pair, if I remember correctly. He removed them - they sounded BAD.

DM

Soooo...what was/is the Type G Motorboard ?...and what, pray tell was Paul talking about...I'd like to think he knew his own design...

Kind of a rhetorical question/thought here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9703992291

The guy's BIN price is $5,700, and as I understand it, HE is the manufacturer of these speakers. In his listing, he says "M.S.R.P. ,9,998.00, BUY FACTORY DIRECT ,AND SAVE BIG! "

So, if he IS the factory, isn't it somewhat counter-intuitive that he is undercutting himself with his BIN price? As such, if the factory is selling them for a public price, can't we conclude that the public price is the defacto M.S.R.P.???

If he gets dealers involved ("dealer inquiries welcome"), is he going to step on their toes with his "BIN" pricing method or will he then jump back to (himself) selling them for $9,998 so the dealers can have a market?

Considering he has been unable to even move one pair at $5,700.00, I do not see a lot of stocking dealers lining up to inventory these in hopes they can retail them at $9,998.00, especially considering the vague nature of his specifications, phantom warranty terms, won't ship his product, lack of a corporate website, "factory", or showroom, not to mention the points I made in http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/688896/694846/ShowThread.aspx#694846, when they can have a 60-year old established company like Klipsch behind them with multi-million dollar R & D facilities, customer service, support, parts department, on staff engineers, a known location with verifiable references, and etc.

I posed this question to the seller:

Q:

Can you provide more pictures to show build quality, componants, etc. Like pics of the back of these would be nice. Thanks

A:

hello mr harley,unfortunetly i am not able to upload pictures on my knew computer,sorry,please keep in mind the picture on ebay does not do them justice,most of the components used in my cornerhorns are made by eminence speaker corp. in kentucky and are warrentied for 7 years. if you are ever in the seattle area,please come by and listen to my cornerhorns,you will be glad you did.thanks for your questions,if you have more ,please call me at 360-651-8992.

Q: Hello Mike: Just wanted to let you know we sold the pair of 1974 Klipschorns we owned. After buying Eclipse cherrywood ones from you, we couldn't see any reason to keep them any longer. The quality and clarity of sound produced by our Eclipse Loudspeakers is so astounding that we didn't even want to listen to our old klipschorns any longer. Thanks for manufacturing such a great product. Sincerely, J.Clark and family

A: dear clark family,it's great to hear for another satisfied eclipse customer.please feel free to contact me if i can be of any further help with technical support related to your equipment,etc. Michael Barney, Eclipse Loudspeaker Systems (360-651-8992)

Why would anyone in their right minds sell a pair of Genuine Khorns to buy a pair of these ?

• 11 months later...

I think it's time for the seller to invest in a nice camera. Those fuzzy pictures is suggestive that the workmanship is poor.

Compare to the photo's on the klipsch website or even to the photos' most ebay listings use. These fuzz photos don't blow up well and makes the speakers look like they were sanded down with a cinder block.

The prices keep dropping on the Eclipse. Soon they will eventually fall to the price of that other fellows Klipsch clones.

for kicks, I just sent him the following:

Hi,

nice looking pics...do you have any that are better lit and more clear?

Also... 8 year warranty? can you provide a copy of it?

Last and this one concerns me a bit... I looked at your feedback and can't seem to find a SINGLE person giving feedback for buying a pair? Looks like all your feedbacks but one, were from sellers??