Poll: Should Record Companies Be Aloud To Incorporate Copy Protection?

m00n

?<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>Yes, it's their property they have a right to protect their interestsNo, there has never been copy protection in the past, why now?Yes but only if they allow for damaged CDs to be swapped for new onesNo, because I want to be able to make my own backupsNo, because they are greedyNo, because the music these days is terrible and I don't want to spend 17.00 for 1 good songNo, because I like to share my CDs with others and have others share with me... Yes, i know it's steeling and I don't care.

I voted 'No because of backups' but that really means that I consider my private use to include my home, auto (where I wouldn't take an original CD for fear of damage), putting it into my iMac jukebox, using the songs in various assembleges (the infamous mix-tape or mix-cd).

Yes I frequently give gifts of music. However I myself am protected by copyright, so here's how I morally allow myself to give music to friends. I never give copies of entire CD's, only 'samplers'. Therefore I consider that I'm helping the artist in their marketing efforts, not stealing a royalty from them.

Michael

i voted the same as CP and agree with his reasoning....except on the "samplers" issue. No matter how much you send to others of a release you are helping their marketing efforts. If the recipients enjoy it, they will buy more. Our resident lawyer will disagree on the legality, but marketing- wise the artists are served. The grateful dead always let their fans record their concerts because they understood that it would return to them many-fold in future revenue.

I'm with you guys.

I buy a CD, bring it home, burn it to my Apple and then download it to my ipod.

I then play it on my 2 channel system. When I'm in the Jeep I bring my ipod along and listen to it.

7 months out of the year I don't have the top on the Jeep and the other 5 I have the rag top on. I never carry CD's in the car. Before I bought the ipod I'd listen to the radio only.

In the new Rolling Stone there is a nice acticle about the poll about how music buyer's feel about the music companies and how young kids (11 and up) are keeping classic rock alive.

Danny

There should be a "NO!!! I do not want any copy protection malware on my system." Sony got in a bit of trouble by trying to sneak software into customers' computers.

Paranoia over copyrights has brought us DVI and HDMI for high defintion content. Folks should learn from all the copy protection screw ups. I am not going to buy over priced anything based on copy protection technology.

Bill

I voted 'No because of backups' but that really means that I consider my private use to include my home, auto (where I wouldn't take an original CD for fear of damage), putting it into my iMac jukebox, using the songs in various assembleges (the infamous mix-tape or mix-cd).

Yes I frequently give gifts of music. However I myself am protected by copyright, so here's how I morally allow myself to give music to friends. I never give copies of entire CD's, only 'samplers'. Therefore I consider that I'm helping the artist in their marketing efforts, not stealing a royalty from them.

Michael

Ditto that [:)] I hate using my original discs

Btw, "copy protection" only hurts the innocent people....where there's a will there's a way to crack any protection scheme.

Im with you guys on using copies. DVDs too. If I did not make

copies of my kids DVD's, I would have already purchased 5 copies of the

Lion King.

Playing original CD's in a car is very STUPID. You should always

play copies as heat and CD's don't mix. Leving CD's in a car in

summer is a killer.

JM

I voted for "personal backup" too, but there's more to this than just personal backup and the ability to copy and play across multiple formats.

It is the idea of owning an ORIGINAL. If I wanted a McIntosh MC30 power amplifier or other vintage and fine audio good, I'm sure I could find a cheap foreign made knockoff copy if I looked long enough. And it would probably sound pretty good (even if not as good as the original), and since most of my buddies aren't audio forum members, they wouldn't know the difference anyway.

But I do.

I am a firm believer in owning the "genuine article". That includes music and software. I think, however, that manufacturers have become very "staid" in the packaging and "extras" that could be included in such softwares, and quite frankly, THE RECORDINGS SOUND LIKE CRAP. The software corps want us to pony up $$$ for every copy in every format - but they aren't worth ONE copy. And why is it that software companies can reprint and re-release new formats, and sell them over and over again (free profits), yet we cannot have an extra personal copy?

Enforcement is impossible, at best. Sure, they can arrest someone and make an example of them in the press every once in a while - but what happens if the music industry does this "en masse"? Consumers will REVOLT, that's what. It is impossible to enforce a law when the majority does not agree that the law is just. There isn't enough police and courts to tackle it anyway.

Basically, the software companies will have to use the "value added" approach if they want to keep customers: Make stuff that people want to buy!!!! Not to mention the "direct" marketing methods available today - there are many bands working on their own labels and distribution system, that would never sue their own fans - and it cuts megacorp labels out of the picture entirely. That way, you are paying the people that really deserve to get paid - the artist.

Metallica was an excellent example of why copyright laws are basically unenforceable. They became a laughingstock from the "WHAAAAA, WE'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH MONEY, YOU ARE RIPPING US OFF", bleating of Lars Ullrich. Cry me a river - you have made mega-millions in the process. Why not help some new artists who deserve thier own exposure, and help them form their own distribution network? It's not the fans that are ripping you off, it's the record companies!!!!!! Record companies don't give bands and artists money - FANS DO!!!!!!!

NO NO NO; I also hate to use my original copies. It's like XM and Siriuos Radio; ARE YOU KIDDING ME, for radio that has always been free. Have you noticed that basic FM radios in new cars SUCK, unless you buy the best system option with digital recievers so you can purchase XM or Sirious, or am I being foolish about this? Music to me is made to be shared and enjoyed. At almost $20. per disc, that cost them maybe $2. to make, Keep your Copy Protection.

OOOPS I Think I hit the wrong choice; NO is the only answer; sorry, I goofed!

NO NO NO; I also hate to use my original copies. It's like XM and Siriuos Radio; ARE YOU KIDDING ME, for radio that has always been free. Have you noticed that basic FM radios in new cars SUCK, unless you buy the best system option with digital recievers so you can purchase XM or Sirious, or am I being foolish about this? Music to me is made to be shared and enjoyed. At almost $20. per disc, that cost them maybe $2. to make, Keep your Copy Protection.

OOOPS I Think I hit the wrong choice; NO is the only answer; sorry, I goofed!

I know it's slightly off topic, but when I took delivery of my 2005 Accord, they wanted to put the Sirius antenae on for FREE, with three months FREE commercial FREE radio. I said no thanks. Like MTV, it's just a matter of time before any all-music format becomes commercial laden. I refuse to pay for commercials. That's why I have CD changer.

M

I respect the copyright of the music. However, I have not yet seen a protection system which allows me to conveniently make backup and or ipod type transfers (as approriate). Hackers are going to get the music anyway. CP seems to interfere with the legal purchasers and users only. Go figure.