(Sort of...well, not really) Brush with Fame!

fini

Yesterday I show up for work, and I'm discussing with my boss what we each did on the long weekend. He took the family skiing in Tahoe (nice!) at some sort of timeshare-thingy cabin/house (you can probably tell I did not pay attention to that part). They went with several other families, whose kids were all friends. Tim said they had a great time, but had to get used to the German couple who "owned" the place (grandparents of one of the girls). Sigfried made Tim re-park his truck twice, trying to get it perfectly aligned with the other vehicles. I guess he had other requests like this, where folks had to be "put in line." It wasn't bad, just took a little while to get with the program. It's his place.

So Tim gets to talking with Sigfried, and it turns out he makes speakers! Well, Tim shows me the guy's website, and it turns out Sig is Sigfried Linkwitz! Yep, the Linkwitz-Riley dude! I did not really know much about him, or the crossover theories he published (still don't know all that much after reading on the web last night), but at least I've got a hint now ;^)

Here's his website, with his speakers, and such:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

Sounds like he's totally anal about silly things (like parking cars).

Gives me the willies.

DM

Well.....maybe that's silly to you, but there's nothing that pisses me off more than when I get to work and folks aren't pulled all the way in or too far in or they're parked off-center or catty-whompass in the space. And the hell of it is that it always happens when I'm having a good morning. But nooooooo......someone has to park all crazy like and such. I mean, how hard is it to get something like that right?? It's a space that has lines. Those lines aren't trapezoidal they're at right angles to each other - RIGHT ANGLES FER CHRISSAKES!!! [:@] And what puts the icing on the cake is that I know FOR A FACT that they do it just to irritate me. In fact, I can just see them peering out their windows watching for me so they can have their sick fun (psssssst......I'll let you in on a little secret - there's lots of these folks all around us every day. They may look like you & I, but they aren't. I'm willing to bet their skin glows under a black light. Probably part of some scouting party from another planet sent here to scope us out. Uhhhhh....where was I? Oh yeah....). I'm a VERY good parker BTW. If I'm 38 minutes late for work because I was trying to get my truck perfectly aligned in the parking space SO WHAT??? It's better than being late 'cause you pooped your pants on the way to work. In fact I told my boss that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will ever accuse me of bad parking and that if he had a problem with my tardiness, then he just didn't see the big picture. And don't EVEN get me started on those folks that leave their wheels turned one way or the other instead of straightening them up once parked. I'm sorry, but things just aren't like they use to be. And the kids....the kids these days.

Listen....I'd like to continue this but my wife just pulled into the driveway and I need to grab my flashlights to guide her into the proper parking position in the garage. Uh - huh...she knows better than to make daddy mad.

Tom

Gives me the willies.

DM

Well.....maybe that's silly to you, but there's nothing that pisses me off more than when I get to work and folks aren't pulled all the way in or too far in or they're parked off-center or catty-whompass in the space. And the hell of it is that it always happens when I'm having a good morning. But nooooooo......someone has to park all crazy like and such. I mean, how hard is it to get something like that right?? It's a space that has lines. Those lines aren't trapezoidal they're at right angles to each other - RIGHT ANGLES FER CHRISSAKES!!! [:@] And what puts the icing on the cake is that I know FOR A FACT that they do it just to irritate me. In fact, I can just see them peering out their windows watching for me so they can have their sick fun (psssssst......I'll let you in on a little secret - there's lots of these folks all around us every day. They may look like you & I, but they aren't. I'm willing to bet their skin glows under a black light. Probably part of some scouting party from another planet sent here to scope us out. Uhhhhh....where was I? Oh yeah....). I'm a VERY good parker BTW. If I'm 38 minutes late for work because I was trying to get my truck perfectly aligned in the parking space SO WHAT??? It's better than being late 'cause you pooped your pants on the way to work. In fact I told my boss that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will ever accuse me of bad parking and that if he had a problem with my tardiness, then he just didn't see the big picture. And don't EVEN get me started on those folks that leave their wheels turned one way or the other instead of straightening them up once parked. I'm sorry, but things just aren't like they use to be. And the kids....the kids these days.

Listen....I'd like to continue this but my wife just pulled into the driveway and I need to grab my flashlights to guide her into the proper parking position in the garage. Uh - huh...she knows better than to make daddy mad.

Tom

Beautiful work Tom. Just one question. Who is chris? (fer Chrissakes).

What's irritating is the person who parks their car across the line is the car is so junky to begin with there is no satisfaction scratching scraping or even pounding it with a hammer.....

Maybe renting a crane to move the car to the top of a tree would get me some satisfaction.

I figured out why he was so anal about car placement. He was aligning them so that the sounds of the engines warming up early in the morning would be out of phase (from his bedroom window), and thus cancel each other out.

Gives me the willies.

DM

Tom

Now that's funny! Thanks for the giggle.

Those who do not park straight will be tied up with piano wire!accent>

Apperently it takes an eccentric mind to build speakers. I understand PWK had some interesting eccentricities.

Interesting reading. I don't like the looks of his speakers but bet they sound nice.

Sounds like German engineering; great attention to detail.

BTW, I placed yellow parking tape in my garage to assist my wife in properly aligning her car (she was taking too much of the middle). My neighbors had a good laugh, but it is effective.

That was about six years ago, and I replace the tape annually [:)]

BTW, I placed yellow parking tape in my garage to assist my wife in properly aligning her car (she was taking too much of the middle). My neighbors had a good laugh, but it is effective.

hahaha I remember there is a stop light like contraption that actually gives you green to move in further, yellow to slow down your getting close to the wall, red to stop.

hahaha I remember there is a stop light like contraption that actually gives you green to move in further, yellow to slow down your getting close to the wall, red to stop.

The lights work well, but for a really good low tech solution, attach a soft object (rubber ball, small blow-up toy, etc) to a string and hang it from the garage ceiling such that when the car is pulled in properly, the object touches the windshield. This is a very precise, in-your-face method.