Klipsch under GLASS

colterphoto1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colter...

Have you just considered putting stuff on top of your speakers for the evening? Like nick nacks and picture frames? If you put enough stuff on them for the evening, there will be no room for drinks.

Or...... Simply and politely say, no drinks on the speakers please. if they are respectful people, they will understand and not be offended.

I still think you should get some doilies. Nothing says manly man like a dolie on your speakers [;)]

"Or...... Simply and politely say, no drinks on the speakers please. if

they are respectful people, they will understand and not be offended."

It's not so much that, but I don't want to be the shepherd or appear anal (I know I really am). It's a bunch of guys, some of whom are, how shall we say, not the sharpest tool in the shed.

And I have plenty of doilies in my house, thank you.

I'd rather be careful than sorry.

Michael

My father had some nice marble tops made for his

speakers and that is the route I want to take someday with my

cornwalls. Granite or marble tops woluld be nice then cover the entire

underside with the green felt stuff. As a matter of fact I'm gonna call

the place while I'm thinking of it. Anyways his speakers did look

mighty classy, what brand they were eludes me but they were from the

seventies and they had verticaly louvered grills. They stood about 3

feet tall and had bases on them.

Gary- just Pay the man already and get your tops- don't you like OWN a bank or something like that?

Michael

LMAO!! Hardly! These are NOT for speakers Michael! These are for shelves. Very expensive shelves if I don't get some advice from one of my buddies here.....................[;)]

Gary, you might test the span with non-tempered. I have some 8" deep shelves about 30" long that I had made out of 'speaker glass' (the 1/4" polished edge stuff). They are packed with CD's and yet bow very little. They are held up by the 1/2" square adjustable shelf brackets, with plastic thingies on top.

So depending on the size of the span, thickness of glass, and weight to be supported, you might not need the tempering process. That is what makes it so expensive.

Michael

Speaking of shelves... about 4 years ago, right after I found my heresies at a local garage sale, I decided to put the speakers in my bedroom, and decided to have some custom glass shelves made for the speakers and the gear.

I had a friend (who knows a friend who knows a friend) make four custom 1/2" shelves for me, measuring 34" long by 17" deep. These shelves are beautiful with nice beviled edges, and must weigh 30 pounds each easy. They were $100/ea, so I have $400 invested in them. And I have never used them. [:(]

They continue to sit in my garage taking up space.

Mike

Sorry I couldn't attach a sketch, you're simply not following me on this. Anything I mentioned would sit on top of the speakers, not in front of or surrounding them, and would have the same outline as the top plate. Since the top plate meets the walls all the way back into the corner, nothing you can sit on top of the speaker can have any effect on the sound. The doctored photo below is exaggerated a bit, the screens wouldn't need to be much taller than 12"-- Just high enough to block those hands with cups in them.

The frames with grille cloth would simply sit on top of the speaker and continue the speaker's footprint upwards, hiding the flat, tempting surface. As you note, they should be acoustically transparent, but this has no bearing on anything since there is no acoustic path above the top plate anyway.

Another method to protect the speakers is to rent some stanchions and ropes from a party rental service, and simply rope off the corners.

I'd stick with tempered glass - especially if you use anything like felt pads as any sharp tap or bend will crack non-tempered glass. Another material to consider is Lexan (polycarbonate). Its light, strong, scratch resistant and filters UV. You can get standard sheets at Home Depot or the like and sheets with a more scratch-resistant coating (Lexan 9034) can usually be found locally. Just a suggestion -Bryan

• 3 weeks later...

Another material to consider is Lexan (polycarbonate). Its light, strong, scratch resistant and filters UV. You can get standard sheets at Home Depot or the like and sheets with a more scratch-resistant coating (Lexan 9034) can usually be found locally. Just a suggestion -Bryan

When I sold my Belles to Parrot a few years back, they had something similar that the previous owner made for them--I think the material was grey-tinted plexiglass. The plexiglass doesn't weigh much and is easy to handle, so you can easily pop the covers on and off for hazardous duty--like a big party where not everyone knows how much they should respect your Klipsch speakers. I'm not sure if the plexiglass costs more or less than tempered glass. I think Paul mentioned in a thread at the time that they have come in handy.

Best in horns,

triceratops