Danley Labs DTS-20 On The Way

TheSoundBroker

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way the room has turned out. Despite a "small" 50" Panny plasma, the room works very well sonically. The sweet spot is very wide for movies, and music floats into the kitchen in a very tactile way. ..... I just had to see how this big old Danley went with the alacrity of the Klipschorns and I can honestly say I couldn't be more pleased!

That room turned out great... the Danley really just disappears. No one would imagine the power you have discreetly hidden. And based on how pretty those Khorns are in real life... I wonder how much of the room detailing we are missing in the photos.

As a side note... funny seeing 50" described as small... I remember the day my dad proudly brought home that 21" TV for our family room!
ROb

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

For a bunch of good reasons, I've been off the forum for a while. Nothing to do with the folks here ... just a lot of life going on right now.

The Danley's been down for a bit of the summer. It was working great in the spring, and then I had some amp problems ... i.e., no signal getting through to the driver. I got around to checking the driver (OK), and then we just swapped out the amp today. I put a new one in, supplied by Danley (great response time), and noted the same problem when I put the new one in. Turned out to be a tempermental connector between the amp and the driver. Anyway, I got it all buttoned up and operational and it's back in action.

Having lived without it for a few months ... then dialing it back in ... has really made me -- once again -- appreciate what a fabulous sub this is. It is in your face/body/feet when it needs to be, but blends so well with the big Klipschorns and center Belle. The room is once again energized [*-)]

The LF in audio today can be done without, but when you have it, it becomes so much more real and life-like. It makes you blink, gasp, and look over your shoulder. It just gives all the rest of the soundtrack "credibility".

Chris

Hey Chris, can you provide more information regarding the PVC pipes?

Like maybe pulling the driver out and verifying if they run to the

other side? If it's too much, then don't worry about it, but I've been

dying to learn how he makes this horn work. Also, is the pipe open or

closed on the end where it goes down in your camera shot?

I have a feeling that the pipes are tuned helmholtz resonators that are

there to reduce a standing wave resonance problem resulting from the

undersized mouth.

Thanks for posting!

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the great pictures. I don't think I have ever enjoyed one piece of gear more than the DTS 20 (ok maybe the La Scalas more than the DTS 20 or now the Growlers it is a crazy hobby!!!). I am now experimenting with JTR Growlers for mid bass they are simply amazing. I have one now and ordered another one it will be here before the holiday weekend.

Take Care,

rmlowz

Here's a document that make more sense to the more acoustically learned than I:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/danley_tapped.pdf

But I'm going to take a stab at it anyways and by all means, correct me if I'm wrong...but

From
what I maybe understand, the PVC pipes are vents that exit at a certain
distance into the horn from the rear chamber of the woofer box (the
vents make it "tapped"). This also, I believe, allows the woofer to
couple properly to the horn at lower frequencies. There is a catch,
apparently, this requires a special type of driver, but not much is
explained about that. Basically, the rear chamber is vented into the
horn. That's about as simply as it can be explained, though I can be
sure it is much more complicated than that.

Would love to help you out on that front, but it's not going to happen soon [:P] It took me a month and some help to get the thing out, let alone putting it back in.

I can tell you that the pipes you see are tapped at the top .... I think I have a pic ... Next post ...

lol, no worries.

Ok, I get that the tops of those pipes are closed, but as you follow them down they join at a T-Section where a bit of pipe goes towards the front (which my or may not open to the front) and then there is another piece of pipe that goes towards the back (and looks like it bends down). Is the pipe going towards the back open at the bottom? Or is it a mounting flange thing?

Here's a document that make more sense to the more acoustically learned than I:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/danley_tapped.pdf

But I'm going to take a stab at it anyways and by all means, correct me if I'm wrong...but

From

what I maybe understand, the PVC pipes are vents that exit at a certain

distance into the horn from the rear chamber of the woofer box (the

vents make it "tapped"). This also, I believe, allows the woofer to

couple properly to the horn at lower frequencies. There is a catch,

apparently, this requires a special type of driver, but not much is

explained about that. Basically, the rear chamber is vented into the

horn. That's about as simply as it can be explained, though I can be

sure it is much more complicated than that.

The PVC pipes have nothing to do with it being a tapped horn, which is why I'm so interested in them [;)]

Here's what a classical tapped horn looks like:

30hzth1.jpg

http://diy.cowanaudio.com/th.html

The thing is, most tapped horns are limited to a 2 octave bandwidth, but Danley somehow gets 3 octaves. He also gets it to go extremely low for the size of the enclosure.

Welcome back Chris. Glad to see you finally got the monster fixed... just in time after I left huh?? [:'(]

Have you moved off the island yet?

Sorry about that! We've just had a lot going on here ... Latest (and last) project is the rebuilt of the master suite, including bathroom, dressing room and reading room. We're on track and on budget, but so much to do ... Including painting it and the entrance hall as well.

If we can get the house on the market in September, we may be out of here by the Spring. It will depend on pricing and the market, of course. We may be out sooner or later, not sure, but it looks like we'll be moving to Dallas.

Still searching for a job there, but it's hard to do it when folks there see you living six states to the east [:|]