TUBE CD PLAYER

jcmusic

Meaning a tube-pre is considered by some to be the most important link in the "tube-sounding" chain. I heard the differences for myself doing an A/B comparison between my all-SS system and another all-tube system. We switched one component at a time.

By far, the most remarkable was the tube pre. The tube CD vs. SS CD was unremarkable - really inaudible. Maybe I got a "lucky" CD player... IDK.

canyonman,

just looking what you have right now this is what i'd do:

Peach/Blueberry Pre (I have only tried 3 tube pre's and the Peach is my favorite. Never heard the Blueberry)

Heart 6000 CDP (its a Marantz 6000 CDP with tube output)

Use your Marantz amps.

A tube pre and SS amp is a very nice combo. I have used it in the past.

I have had a Heart CDP for about 3 years with no troubles, but I'm starting to get upgrade fever.

I'm looking at either getting Audio Note xport/dac, Classe CDP or putting the tube amps up for awhile and get SS mono blocks.

Then if i were you I'd sit back for 6-12 months and enjoy the music.

When you are done you are going to have a killer system.

Good Luck. I have enjoyed reading your journey so far.

Danny

The Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 is a great CD deck, too. Get one of these with good tubes and it's an outstanding source addition to your system. The upsampler upgrade gets RAVES.

BIG DITTO THAT!!

I did a fair bit of research (over 3 weeks worth of reading), and the Ah! is not only the best bang for the buck, but the best tube CD player. Joliad 2nd, Shandling a sloppy 3rd. The only draw back with the Ah! is no SACD playback. But what it does with RedBook is sensational. Incredible sound. The upsampler is an absolute must. And when you save up a little, drop in a pair of telefunken or siemens CCa tubes.

I have to agree with the above- the biggest "tube" impact as I changed from ss to tube was the preamp. If you like to solder, I cannot recommend the Bottlehead equipment highly enough. Really outstanding sound/cost value. I have never heard the Juicy music equipment, so I won't compare.

The amps I built (300B SE amps) made a difference of course, and are beautiful sounding, but the preamp was more influential. I've been curious to try a tubed CD as well, so please follow up on your decision.

Right now, I'm running a modified foreplay (Bottlehead preamp), 300B's for the mid/high and a "gainclone" for the woofers on a pair of Khorns. Outstanding.

Well, I haven't spent my kids education money, yet, but I've cycled several units through the system in the last year and a half. I've listened to two tube pre's, one tube integrated, 4 solid state pre's with SS amps, two: make that three, no four tube ampifiers and 5 solid state amps. The best for me is tube pre and solid state amp. Coming in dead last was SS pre and tube amp: that was horrid! and I mean really bad.

BS