Nice K-horn Restoration

BEC

The reason they are in false corners even though they are in corners is because 3/4" MDF reflects bass better than drywall and the added top and bottom boards of the false corner helps also. The top board of the false corner also allows me to direct top cabinets outward toward the listener. False corners are the recommended 48" in length. I had some extra in front so I added the boards flared out from the bass bin to the front of the false corner and they helped even more. New K-77 diaphragms, K-55-V diaphragms, woofers, Beautiful Bob Crites crossovers, and new wire were part of the restoration. The old tar-type door seals were removed and new closed foam types were installed. The tweeters are front mounted and tweeter cabinets can be repositioned to vertical or moved back more for high frequency time alignment. The opening in the board that the squawker is back mounted to was angle cut to match the flare of the horn. Squawker cabinets sit on two halved racket balls in front and one tennis ball in back. This stops all resonance from the bass bin false corner from reaching the squawker cabinets and tilts the top cabinets downward toward the listener's position. Oak laminate is stained golden brown and will be darkened and shined with Watco Danish oil soon. Tweeter cabinets are shaped the same as squawker cabinets which were built using original dimensions. The tweeter cabinets look like the squawker cabinet's little brother.

Soundbound,

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. Hope you didn't mind my posting the picture you sent me. I thought lots of people would like to see what you had done. Sure impressed me anyway.

Bob Crites

• 1 year later...

I shot down several houses that had rooms to small for my Belles. When I did find a house it was one with a room for Khorns. Glad I don't have to renovate the attic to have a listening room. Although I could have two listening rooms if I renovated the attic :)

Great work. I have been contemplating building similar sort of boxes for the tractrix I have built. It is great when you have the freedom the move the 'top end' around so that it can be better positioned to your listening area. Are you using a tractrix? I found by building one of these and putting the tweeter in the vertical (as EV suggests) things really improve.Did you go under the bass bin with your extension or rest against its sides?

Cheers

Thank you. Being able to move the top down and out toward the listening position really helps. I'm using the stock horns. My tweeters can be positioned vertical (as EV suggests) or back for time alignment. Tweeters are flush mounted. The false corners have their own sides, tops, and bottoms that are silicone and screwed together. I used silicone so I could take them apart if needed for moving them out of the room because they're too big to fit through the door. The Klipschorn bass bins just slide into the false corners. I removed the Klipschorn tail boards and made more solid ones out of 3/4" MDF and sealed and screwed them directly to the false corners for a better seal. The boards that flare out from the front of the Klipschorn's bass bins to the front of the false corners helped more. Those boards slide in after the bass bin is in. The top and bottom boards of the false corners help a lot too. I'll add a photo of right speaker for the heck of it.

99AF065F-6F6A-4EB1-8D79-D5346632AA29.jpeg