Don't shoot me....I'm new here

Antca

Hi there,

Looking get into the 90's!!!

Have 2 speaker setup now (RF3 II).... but what's this new fangled thing I'm hearing about "surround sound"...gimmic...hmmmm.

Now that I've made fun of myself.

The budget I was building recently got a kick in the teeth, but I still have the bug.

What is the least I can get away with without crying that I wasted money.

The plan was for RS 25 or 35 AND RC25 or 35 (after listening and compare sound to $ difference).

*I "think" there are the compare to what I would have gotten to match the RF3 II's but can no longer get the matching gear.

Well, I may be able to get EITHER the rears OR center and do "cheap out" on the other

(?? RC25 center and a set of used Pardignm atoms or similar for the rear or, or or ???)

I know the "save your money and wait" adage but if I can't....

Thoughs? Dealers tend to hold to all or nothing, but lets hear from the "other" experts on the board.

Thanks!

Well, that's the kind of info I was look'in for!

So, if I can't find any good used Rx3 (RB3/RS3/RC3) to match what I have then a RC25 or RC35 would be #1 to get!

GOT IT!

QUESTION....the new RC10, should it be a consideration?

next.. I can get a couple good condition, used Paradigm Atoms at a good price right now... would it be reasonable to use them (or any thing lower than Klipsch) for temparary rears along with the RF3II's and RCxx? Then the atoms go to the boy when I get the RS's.

Could I look at the synergy line to get by for the rears?????

BTW - 80% music / 20% movies

Thanks for the help!

Try to match the series of speakers. Matched timbre works

best. Forget the Atom's. Better to buy matching speakers on

ebay.

If you watch movies alone, or as a couple, you could wait on the center

speaker for now. The center is essential when people are seated

off-axis to lock the dialogue to the screen (but is still a plus when

seated in the middle because then the soundtrack isn't mixed with the

dialogue).

With limited budget, start with a sub if you watch action movies.

That will give you the most bang for the buck, except for chick movies

with no LFE (Low Frequency Effects) content. You do not need to

match a sub in brand name to the speakers. You could get a Hsu or

a SVS for under $500 and be prett happy with it.

After the sub, get matching surround speakers if you watch alone or as

a couple, or get a matching center speaker if you watch as a

family. Then finish with the other for 5.1.

I think I'm gettin' it.

For series matching, your saying I need to find RC and RS in the 3 II series? Is it possable to timbre match with a different model (Rx-25 ??)?

NOW- can you all see where I was going with the "don't shoot me" part of the post subject... I know nothing and ask potencialy anoying questions!!![*-)]

The Plan:

#1 On the hunt for a center - since for movie's there are 3 of us and were scattered, there is a noticable need for more voice. Question, best I found RC35 - $400 Canadian - Good /bad/ exceptional $?

#2 The sub - Mirage Omni S8 $270.00 (CAD)

#3 - Surrounds... will keep the eye open for RS or RB 3 II's OR get new when the money is saved up again RS / RB 25 or 35.

Sound like a plan?

BTW - This forum should open a "sale/wanter/trade" section, those that want to upgrade can sell down to us folks looking to match up some older stuff without ebay hassles.

Thanks AGAIN!!!

I think I'm gettin' it.

For series matching, your saying I need to find RC and RS in the 3 II series? Is it possable to timbre match with a different model (Rx-25 ??)?

NOW- can you all see where I was going with the "don't shoot me" part of the post subject... I know nothing and ask potencialy anoying questions!!![*-)]

The Plan:

#1 On the hunt for a center - since for movie's there are 3 of us and were scattered, there is a noticable need for more voice. Question, best I found RC35 - $400 Canadian - Good /bad/ exceptional $?

#2 The sub - Mirage Omni S8 $270.00 (CAD)

#3 - Surrounds... will keep the eye open for RS or RB 3 II's OR get new when the money is saved up again RS / RB 25 or 35.

Sound like a plan?

BTW - This forum should open a "sale/wanter/trade" section, those that want to upgrade can sell down to us folks looking to match up some older stuff without ebay hassles.

Thanks AGAIN!!!

The RC35 appears to be a pretty good match on paper, but hopefully someone with more direct experience will comment. C$400 seems a good price since the local retailer listed it for C$600 before the new models came in.

Concerning the sub, I shouldn't discouarge you from buying canadian, and that is a good price. But how big is the room? I auditionned a few not-very-expensive subs before I bought mine 18 months ago (Paradigm PDR-10, PW-1200, a 12 inch Mission, etc) and none were very impressive. I took a chance and ordered a Hsu STF-3 direct from the Canadian distributor without hearing it first, based on recommendations on another forum. It blew away everything else I had heard easily. Try to find a dealer to audition one. A STF-1 would stretch your budget a little, and a STF-2 would have the low frequency response (25 Hz) desired for action movies.

6 Heresy's and a sub ? Heresy's are easy to come across. Just a thought

There's a really good idea. They can be had used for $300 if patient. Remember, they were over a $1000US new.

Since you're in Ontario, I would imagine places across the border are accessible. Even with the border tax coming back, you're way ahead. Collect them as they become available, and soon you'll have a GREAT 5.1 system (or 7.1).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Heresy-II-Speakers-Floor-Stands-Cords_W0QQitemZ5878242551QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Heresy-HW0-Speakers-Matched-Pair_W0QQitemZ5876752085QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-HERESY-LOUD-SPEAKERS-MINT-STILL-IN-BOX-NR_W0QQitemZ5878745731QQcategoryZ94906QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sometimes a buyer will meet you half-way. You could drive to Massachusetts or Michigan and back in a day. Don't ship these unless they have the original packaging. It's cheaper and safer to go fetch them.

Chris

6 Heresy's and a sub ? Heresy's are easy to come across. Just a thought

There's a really good idea. They can be had used for $300 if patient. Remember, they were over a $1000US new.

Since you're in Ontario, I would imagine places across the border are accessible. Even with the border tax coming back, you're way ahead. Collect them as they become available, and soon you'll have a GREAT 5.1 system (or 7.1).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Heresy-II-Speakers-Floor-Stands-Cords_W0QQitemZ5878242551QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Heresy-HW0-Speakers-Matched-Pair_W0QQitemZ5876752085QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-HERESY-LOUD-SPEAKERS-MINT-STILL-IN-BOX-NR_W0QQitemZ5878745731QQcategoryZ94906QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sometimes a buyer will meet you half-way. You could drive to Massachusetts or Michigan and back in a day. Don't ship these unless they have the original packaging. It's cheaper and safer to go fetch them.

Chris

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!

More folks should be doing this, IMO.

I've started.....

RC-3 used great shape 230 US shipped.

So should match nicely with the RF3 It's!!!

I likes the idea of hersheys (mmmmm chocolate)
on the down side is 8 speakers in the room is too much and I do not want to give up the RF's.

Thanks for the advise... and I'm sure to have more to add!

I just bought three pairs of RB-25 floor models for $212 per pair and an RC-25 for $182 at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha. They still have a pair of the RB-25s on the floor for $222.97 (I negotiated) and a pair of RS-25s for $258 and a RC-25 for $228 (mine was missing a jumper).

The website is www.nfm.com but they don't list the floor models on there. Call and ask for Rick Ludin in the audio area. Wed and Thursday are his days off.

NFM is authorized retailer so they come with the warranty. All prices quoted are USD.