Face it: You need a big TV for movies...

kenratboy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, totally agree.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Many years ago we added a Denon plus 5.1 Polk satellites to our 27 RCA tv. We were in heaven. This summer we finished the basement and purchased an entirely new rig. 55 Sony LCD and Klipsch Reference system. Its almost as hard to listen to the old (Polk) system as it is to watch the 10 year old RCA.

And I saw a poll today stating the 8 out of 10 people were happy with the current movie going (multiplex) experience. BULL!!

Bigger is better.

BTW, I am very well hung

Jacksonbart, good answer. Between you and Duke Spinner you guys give good answers;

I really like my 42" Panasonic, not as big as the others on here, but I can move it by myself if I have to. Really like concert DVD's, and they look good on it. What bugs me though, is wide screen, it only uses part of the screen, what a waste of screen.

And I saw a poll today stating the 8 out of 10 people were happy with the current movie going (multiplex) experience. BULL!!

I bet that is pretty accurate. All of my friends think that I am

crazy for driving an hour to go to a theater that has bigger screens

and a good sound system (Klipsch, of course!) I'd rather wait for

a movie to come out DVD than watch at one of the local theaters.

My living room sounds at least twice as good!!!

Yes and no. I always had miserable TVs from childhood up to about age 26, when I splurged and got a 35" Trinitron. Best @$#!@#$! TV I've had. Friend of mine has it now.

However, that said... it got to a point where I noticed... "My audio chain beats the tar out of the local cinema's audio chain." All this glorious sound, and watching a movie on a postage stamp.. this was years ago, when FP was still solely in the hands of the very well-heeled. But time went on, prices dropped, performance came up, so...

Once I went FP last year, something inside of me snapped. See, I pretty much grew up in theaters. Spent a lot of time in 'em, time I shoulda spent "doing homework"... I viewed TV as an anomaly, not "the norm." To me the cinema experience was "the norm"

So of course, once I had a setup comparable to a theater... something inside me broke, and I'll never go back to small screens for movies / cartoons.

OTOH, I don't watch TV much.... F1 racing, and the odd program on history or speedvision... I view TV as a brain-rotter. A means to appease the massess, and control them, while you're at it. *shrug*

I'm one of those who has a killer HT sound rig (six Cornwalls and 2 JBL 15" twin cabs) and a 32" TV. I am still looking around the video landscape for a "cheap solution" in large display while the digital/HiDef settles out. I do not want a large display that takes up floor space here in this dwelling - ideally I would want a front PJ (not really feasible here - too much ambient light) or plasma. Since those devices are steadily increasing in quality while lowering in price, I have been reinforcing my 2 channel McIntosh tube system (because prices will only increase on those) until I find a video solution that makes better sense long term. Buy Mac tube amps before they get priced out of my range - buy TV later when the bang for the buck will be better - then both systems will be "airtight"[:)]

Bigger is better.

BTW, I am very well hung

HEY, i thought they said you were in Hong Kong, not king kongish in endowments . . . ..

Back to the topic at hand, I am sure bigger can be better, but how do i decide if my living room is better suited to a 43 incher than a 50? My concern that a sitting distance of approx 8 or 9 feet in a 16x18 room may make me turn my head (or eyes darting side to side) too much if i go 50. Any (informed) thoughts??

I have my front PJ screen set up about 2x the width of the screen from the seating area. A six foot wide screen and my sofa about 12 feet from it. I love it. The local channels just went HD and espn the sports are great. Audible Nectar, with the new higher powered projectors and a low gain screen you can overcome a lot of ambient light. My screen is only six feet wide since that is all the wider I could put it due to room situations. If I had a perfect setup I would go much wider. With a projector hanging from the ceiling and a screen on the wall the footprint is almost nothing. One of these big old corns would work great under a screen. You could come over and see mine sometime and see what you think. Sorry I only have 5 little forte II's for the sound though. Audible send me an e-mail. I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks but then I'll be back about the first of April and you can check out my projector.

the rule of thumb for seating is at least 1.5 x screen diag. Thus a 50"

screen should be viewed at a distance of 75" or 6.25 feet to get the

movie theater feel. So 9 feet back from a 50" screen is perfectly fine,

..... for a smaller picture[:P]

We have a 108" screen with our PJ and the seating distance is about 14

feet. The optimum distance is 13.5 feet so we are in the ballpark.

Room size can also affect on how big or small your tv looks to your perceptions. My living room is 15 x 15 x 8 and when I went from a 27" sony to a 34" widescreen sony it was a big difference in quality and size.

So a 50 inch is the next size for me but I see no reason to buy one now when the prices keep dropping! This time next year I'll find a 50 inch.

The 7210 is a fantastic Infocus projector.. I am really not sure how much better it could get, and I am being serious here too. If you lived in the USA I could steer you.. I have no idea about Pakistan though??

Match it up with a great screen, and be in heaven. DO NOT skimp on the screen. It is that important.

I put in a projector in November 2004--I've got about 450 hours on it, almost all of that watching movies. I do watch the Sopranos, Deadwood and boxing on it. Otherwise I don't watch any television to speak of. Funny, I have a 50 inch Mitsubishi I bought 10 years ago, a very nice television, that I let my kids watch movies on.

The novelty of the big screen--110 inches diagonal--has NEVER worn off. EVERY time I sit down to watch a movie I am still in awe of the picture. I've even watched some lousy movies, that were made better by the sight and sound of the system.

I am just a schmo, I'm not smart enough or sophisticated enough to discuss distances, ratios, etc. But I can tell you that buying that projector was one of the best decisions I ever made. Add to that the Khorns, Cornwalls, etc, and wow!! What a great experience it is to watch a movie in your own theater.

I put in a projector in November 2004--I've got about 450 hours on it, almost all of that watching movies. I do watch the Sopranos, Deadwood and boxing on it. Otherwise I don't watch any television to speak of. Funny, I have a 50 inch Mitsubishi I bought 10 years ago, a very nice television, that I let my kids watch movies on.

The novelty of the big screen--110 inches diagonal--has NEVER worn off. EVERY time I sit down to watch a movie I am still in awe of the picture. I've even watched some lousy movies, that were made better by the sight and sound of the system.

I am just a schmo, I'm not smart enough or sophisticated enough to discuss distances, ratios, etc. But I can tell you that buying that projector was one of the best decisions I ever made. Add to that the Khorns, Cornwalls, etc, and wow!! What a great experience it is to watch a movie in your own theater.

Totally cool Brian. Some day soon you will come to realize that truly bad movies provide the best entertainment of all.....