Poll: What to do about Dean?

NOSValves

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The amps are beautiful and have exceeded all expectations. Catching me completely off-guard is how damn good they sound at the lower volumes I've been listening at. I really thought the little T2 might best it in that area but not in the slightest. Something I noticed right away in the sound is that really cool thing you pick up in good electrostatics. I don't know what it is or how to describe it -- it's just there. Wide open, clean, rich, with a hell of a lot atmosphere. I asked Craig where he got the pixie dust -- he's not talking.

The Grey endbells look better in person than in the pictures. Now that I've seen them up close and personal in my rack, I'm glad they came the way they did. My job on the wood don't look half bad either.:)

Now let me make it clear if anyone wants Black, Purple, Yellow or whatever paint color they can think of BEFORE I start building it is no problem. I have no problem customizing to anyones preference. I just need to know at the time of the order. Just wait till folks see what Gilbert has cooked up!!

Craig

Ha ha. Well, I don't buy into the "short auditory memory" nonsense. My tiny brain seems to have no trouble remembering the sound I've gotten from the different things I've tried along the way.

I've been using the new Sonic Impact T2 for the last couple of months. I picked one up from partsexpress to compare against the TEAC I had been using and thought it did much better through the midrange and upper registers. Very clean and tubey sounding, but like the TEAC it's best used for lower volume listening. You can't push them -- they go from sweet to pure crap pretty quick. I do think someone looking at SET amps should try one before they pull out the big bills. I think vertical biamping with a pair of T2's and a good tube preamp would make for a killer sound -- as long as one didn't need to fill a large room or want to listen at Symphonic or Rock/pop levels.

Naturally, Craig's amps are a cut above anything else I've ever heard, and you can believe me when I say it's no accident that I'm coming home with them after the long trip out on the road. Almost two years were spent trying to land on a sound that could best what I heard when we all met over at Parrot's house -- where Craig lit up the room with his modified MK-III's. They just have the right balance of authority, dymanics, and the lush/rich sound that give tubes that intoxicating quality.

Ha ha. Well, I don't buy into the "short auditory memory" nonsense. My tiny brain seems to have no trouble remembering the sound I've gotten from the different things I've tried along the way.

Memory is a very peculiar thing and there are obviously vast ranges in the abilities of different individuals. The catch is whether one is remembering correctly. With audio preferences, it's difficult to verify, beyond saying, "I thought you said you liked XYZ speaker better than the ABC when we heard it in the 1970s, or do I have that backwards?"

I had the pleasure of hearing a lecture by Elizabeth Loftus, who is a psychologist made famous by her work on false memories. A quickie overview of her work, and links, are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Loftus

http://faculty.washington.edu/eloftus/

Forget the new subscribe to member feature coming on this forum I want to block anybody with a beautiful wife who has a better amps than me! [:@]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />