A technical review of the K77M and BEC CT125 tweeters

Chops,

I personally like how the CT125 sounds producing the 4500 to 6000 range better than the K-55/K-400 producing that range. In fact, what the CT125 does with music in the lower part of its range was the first thing that attracted me to that driver.

By the way, the same mod works on the Type B crossover. That has also been done.

Bob Crites

I've been playing with the crossover points and that tweeter off and on for the last two weeks -- I agree with Bob, but with this caveat: If anyone is even remotely considering moving away from the K-400/401 at some point in time -- stay at 6kHz.

I'm confused. [8-)] [*-)] Both the La Scala and KHorn specs on this Klipsch site, cite 4.5KHz as the crossover between the K77F and K55X... Is this not the case, or not the case with 'older' [pre-AL#] networks and I'm just too much of the neophite to know the context of this discussion [:$]?

Al:

First, great work.

It was also observed that, "The mod Bob suggests is crude, but it works." I understand what you are saying, but I agree that it works -- in fact quite well IMO. I tried the CT125 with both my own rebuilt type 'A' network, as well as with the one he outlined above. It seems many things have areas of subjective improvement, although I know what you are proposing has electrical elements that may be better for the equipment in term of electrical interaction and behaviour. Whether those factors would directly translate into audible improvements would be the subjective part of the equation.

I agree that the new tweeters sound less hissssssy, which is something I noticed when listening for a couple of days strictly in stereo. I think this is one of their attributes that lends more realism to percussion sounds and cymbals. I hear more metal, and less hiss.

The modified network with 4uf on the tweeter and series coil on the squawker are very smooth sounding, and I think the improvement here may be as much in the midrange as in the tweeter. Together, it sounds quite good IMO.

Again, thanks for sharing this.

Erik

Martin,

Yes, that one should be all right. Be sure to locate it as far away from any metal on the crossover as possible since the value of that air core inductor would be effected by any metal close to it.

Bob

Bob, do you see any reason to try this mod (lowering XO point) on the Cornwall. I'm not even sure you have a K600 laying around to test the improvement.

The reason I ask is two fold.

1. We Cornscala fans may want to try such a mod.

2. I believe there are several folks out there with Cornwalls that have purchased your tweeters.

jc,

There are some out there who have done that mod with a Cornwall. I haven't seen any results posted yet, but I think it would be the way to go with a Cornwall also. I do like the mod on a Cornscala.

By the way, I now have a very special inductor that UT has made for me to use in this mod. DCR or 0.08 ohms and a Q of 31 at 1 khz.

Bob

Martin,

Yes, that one should be all right. Be sure to locate it as far away from any metal on the crossover as possible since the value of that air core inductor would be effected by any metal close to it.

Bob

What would be a minimum distance from inductor to metal? By metal I'm assuming you mean Cap Cans, T2A's?