AK-2 Conversion Possible?

EVGuy

Can an AK-2 crossover be converted to an AK-3 or AK-4 or is it not worth it? Which would be better to convert it to, an AK-3 or 4 if it could be done, and what would the advantages be?

I'm using Bob's tweeters, K-55-M with the K400.

Bernie

Bernie,

The AK-2 could be converted to the AK-3. The difference is changing the big woofer cap in the woofer compartment, a different squawker transformer and the inductor in the same circuit. I would avoid the AK-4 like the plague. I don't like that one at all! Of course, I believe replacing the AK-2 with one of my upgrades would be the best thing to do.

Al K.

Al,

Right now I'm using a set of Bob's AA/A crossovers and they sound real good. I want to listen to them for a while to really learn what the speakers should sound like. Eventually I will be getting your crossovers. I just wanted to know if I converted the AK-2 to an AK-3, would it sound any different or better than an AA would. Probably not, so for now I'll sit with what I have and someday upgrade to your networks.

Bernie,

I "upgraded" my AK-2's to a pair of Bob Crites A crossovers. I bypassed all the components in the woofer bin and put the A in the top hat of the K's. The improvement was significant. Much larger image / sound stage and the top end opened up.

I don't listen at ear-splitting levels (any more) and it seems some folks prefer the A series to others at moderate listening levels. Bob's "A's" are very reasonably priced and sure work for me. I have no experience with Al's, so I can't offer any opinion.

You can have Bob build a pair with the option of changing the crossover point on the tweeter to 4500Hz simply by changing a wire connection if you wish.

I had Bob build a set of Cornscala crossovers for me with the option of changing the crossover point for the Crites Tweeter to 4500Hz. I like the Crites tweeter, but haven't yet modified a Cornwall into Cornscala yet.

No, Bob adds another capacitor and inductor to the standard fare to reduce the tweeter crossover to 4500HZ for the Crites 125. He can probably supply you with the components and connectors for a few pennies. This will NOT work for the K-77. Moving to 4500 on the K-77 will probably fry it.

Jump in here, Bob . . .

Bernie,

You would do better overhauling the AK-2 to an AK-3 or getting a newly built AK-3 than the AA. The AK-x sereis netwroks are a better design than the AA. All the Klipsch networks are just seperate filters stuck together rather then true multiplexers, but at least the AK-x sereis has a propery type tweeter filter. You loose 3 dB in the tweeter filter of the AA even with computer-perfect parts in it!

Al K.

...Dean is it just me you hate or the AK-4???...albeit...what can I do to make the AK-4 listenable (short of dumping the entire thing??? I must admit, I have not heard the A, AA, AK-2, DeanG mods or ALK and its variants...I know I hated the sound of the AK-3 but that may have been the store where I had heard them...I'm willing to be proven wrong and learn...

Bill

I don't "hate" the sound of any of the different networks available for Heritage speakers, and I could happily live with any of them if I had to -- I just think some sound better than others. Simple preference comes into play here, and one might easily prefer something I don't. The AK-4 is more than listenable, but the high part count, substitution of the autoformer with resistors, and the use of polyester capacitors give the sound a dark and grainy quality. I would have kept mine if I would have had the money to upgrade all of the capacitors in the squawker and tweeter sections -- just too much money. I ended up getting better sound in my room with PK's simple Type A.

Well I have to respect your opinion...besides your pool of knowledge you have probably heard every iteration of the K'Horn out there (except all the home grown types) and I have only heard my AK-4s and some AK-3s (I think...several years old at a store near me...the original networks from mine were burned up when I got my K'Horns...

Bill

I had the Ak-2's... I hated them.. (I must admit something was wrong too..with them and knew it.. Run pink noise left tot right channel..(nothing wrong with my amp) and it sounded like two different speakers..and too much mids..esp at higher levels...)

I did the upgrade with Klipsch OMG>>> AK-4's ROCK!!!!

the bass seems to have been EQ'd out and you do not have that bump at 150 htz.. but is solid all the way... the mids seemed a little more laid back and open.. and the new tweeters..seem to be clearer and open up higher. The best thing is it does this at low levels and louder ones too. it is by far the best upgrade I have done with my K horns.. (new drivers for the tweeters and mids...too)

Sorry your response was not the same. but it is a HUGE difference.. In the right direction too. IMO.

The T5A Autoformer must be replaced with a T4A in the AK-2 to convert them to AK-3's as well as the caps in the woofer bin and the coil in the squawker circuit.

I hope that those of you that converted to Bob's A/AA removed the caps and coils in the woofer bin from the circuit before plugging the woofer output lead from Bob's network into the woofer input.

I did the upgrade with Klipsch OMG>>> AK-4's ROCK!!!!

the bass seems to have been EQ'd out and you do not have that bump at 150 hz.. but is solid all the way... the mids seemed a little more laid back and open.. and the new tweeters..seem to be clearer and open up higher.

Yeah, that's my reaction, too. Although I haven't heard the X-over sans the blanket filter.[:S]

My experience with the CT125, which made things much clearer but departed from my reference listening experience to live music, has made me wary of depending only on a clarity criterion. I guess I wouldn't mind hearing the difference, but am happy enough with the AK-4 that I wouldn't want to put others or myself to a lot of trouble to find out.

I hope that those of you that converted to Bob's A/AA removed the caps and coils in the woofer bin from the circuit before plugging the woofer output lead from Bob's network into the woofer input.

I replaced the entire woofer hatch and installed bananna jacks in the new one. I didn't want to alter the original door or the circuitry in any way. Someday if I ever sell them, and I don't see that happening, I can put it all back to original in just a few minutes.