For Sale: Modified stereo Baldwin organ amplifier

This has been a hard decision, because I really like this old amp. It is a push-pull 6L6 amplifier, and uses two 6L6s/channel, two 5U4 rectifiers, and two 12AX7s. The amp is supplied with both 8 ohm and 4 ohm speaker connections, and speaker binding posts are very sturdy. There are also input level controls for each channel. The extra 6L6 tubes seen in the foreground are included. The only modification I did was to replace the old coupling capacitors with some I happened to have in my parts bin: (4) .22uf/600v Hovland Musicaps -- new.

It is a robust amplifier, and has sounded very good with both our Klipschorns and Heresies.

$400 shipped in the lower 48

Erik

edit: This amp first belonged to Dee, and I am offering it on this forum only.

$400 ??

I sold mine for $ 650+ on EBay just a few months ago.

(just happened to be a Forum member whompurchased it, too)

This offer won't last long.

What's going on, Craig ? (and Craig NOSVALVES version -- Thanks for that!)

I know I could get more for it, but I'm hoping it might help someone venture into tubes if cost has been an issue for him/her. I think it would be a great amp for a pair of Heresies, or really any of the horns.

It's really a wonderful amp, and is in perfect condition.

Dee: Thanks for the input here, too.

Forgot to mention: The 12AX7s are brand new EH tubes. Craig Born2 gave them to me for something, can't remember what, but thanks again, Craig! Hope you guys are doing well.

Erik

I thought about buying Born2RockU's Baldwin when he sold his, 6L6 fan that I am becoming.....but passed on it - and bought another set of 30s instead[:)] You are making me think about it - but I don't really need it - and Erik is right, it should be a good intro to tube amps for a newbie wanting to give tubes a try.

This amp is an addiction waiting to happen.

Audible Nectar:

You are exactly right about how I'm thinking about this. I appreciate the input, too. The amp is pure function in terms of appearance, which is kind of cool in its own way, at least to me. There are also no bias adjustments required of any kind, so it's super easy to use and maintain.

TX42: Having had the chance to use a Peach for a couple of weeks when it was on tour, I think it's a preamp that would sound good with many amplifiers. My wife was totally taken by that preamp, and it sure was easier on the eyes than the one I built in a cheap aluminum enclosure. It was dead silent with even our Klipschorns, and just seemed to get out of the way; and that's a good thing. But: I have no experience with how it would be with this Baldwin. Based on what I know about both components, there is no reason why the two shouldn't be a suitable match. I was going to bypass the input levels on this amp, but they are actually kind of useful.

If you would like to try it, I will box it up for you to try at home. It's really better to have the chance to audition something like this at home, with your own stuff, and on your own time.

Erik

Texas42,

I have had a number of hours listening to this amplifier with a Merlin and the sound is fabulous. I had a very cleanly rebuilt 299B as my first tube amplifier and the sound was good, but the Merlin/Baldwin combo would be the clear winner, to my ears.

Jorjen:

Forgive me Erik, but are you saying you like the K77's more?

Well, good point. I guess that wasn't very clear was it? The K77Ms are good, but I prefer the new ones. It's always a subjective issue with this stuff, but BEC's preserve more of the actual instrument.

The K77Ms sound bright and detailed, but not (IMO) entirely as natural or 'real' sounding as the Crites' version.

Erik

I had a pic disappear from a post after I went back and edited some text. That was a weird one.

Love the utilitarian look of those amps, Erik. I have swapped a SS amp into my LS system, still fed with the Merlin. It sounds cleaner than my Dynaco, but there are still some things I could do on it. The Alesis has a mechanical hum, but it disappears as soon as the music starts. Shoot, the speakers disappear too.

Bruce

Hey, Bruce:

I bet the Merlin SS combination sounds good. Do you happen to know what kind of power transformer the Alesis has? You might be able to improve or reduce that power supply hum.

Yeah, this Baldwin is a neat-looking amp. I really wanted to keep it as part of a collection, but I'm going to be selling off some stuff in the near future.

Erik