4500 hz Mod for B and K Type AA/A Crossovers with CT125

BEC

Daddy Dee,

Thank you for replying. I can see how the squawker could struggle at 6000hz. Cutting it down to 4500hz a narrower bandwidth must allow it to reproduce a lot cleaner. Is it one of those mods that as soon as you hear it's a big difference?

My preowned 1978 Klipschorns always sounded kind of off to me. I didn't have new ones to evaluate them against. I installed Bob's A/AA crossovers in my 1978 Klipschorns and it brought them back to life! I also did these mods: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/697931/ShowPost.aspx

Since I updated them I am very happy with the way they reproduce sound at this point! Everytime I listen to them a big smile is on my face. I seem to be one of the few who are happy with the K-77, K-55-V, and its 400 horn. I believe that Bob's tweeters and 4500hz coil mod will take me to an even higher level.

Daddy Dee,

Thank you for replying. I can see how the squawker could struggle at 6000hz. Cutting it down to 4500hz a narrower bandwidth must allow it to reproduce a lot cleaner. Is it one of those mods that as soon as you hear it's a big difference?

My preowned 1978 Klipschorns always sounded kind of off to me. I didn't have new ones to evaluate them against. I installed Bob's A/AA crossovers in my 1978 Klipschorns and it brought them back to life! I also did these mods: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/697931/ShowPost.aspx

Since I updated them I am very happy with the way they reproduce sound at this point! Everytime I listen to them a big smile is on my face. I seem to be one of the few who are happy with the K-77, K-55-V, and its 400 horn. I believe that Bob's tweeters and 4500hz coil mod will take me to an even higher level.

Yes, it is amazing how good Khorns sound when old crossovers are refreshed with new caps. Finding out what they sounded like when they went out the door of the factory is alot of fun. After that, anyone who wants to do more and enjoy the upgrades, I say, more power to em. IMO, the sound of the upgrades doesn't mean much, unless the user knows the factory stock sound as a reference for the improvements.

On the perceived magnitude of the 4500hz mod.... I'd say it is not as dramatic as replacing the K77 with the CT125. The character of the sound is the same, it is just smoother, to my ears. Also, the CT125 is a musical little rascal, and the 4500hz crossover allows it to show off a bit. Pretty sweet combination. One other thing I could say about it is that it is noticeable and pleasing Sometimes I've made tweaks and changes that folks swear by... but I wasn't sure if I was hearing anything different enough to notice or not.

Daddy Dee,

Yes, it is amazing how good Khorns sound when old crossovers are refreshed with new caps. Finding out what they sounded like when they went out the door of the factory is alot of fun. After that, anyone who wants to do more and enjoy the upgrades, I say, more power to em. IMO, the sound of the upgrades doesn't mean much, unless the user knows the factory stock sound as a reference for the improvements.

On the perceived magnitude of the 4500hz mod.... I'd say it is not as dramatic as replacing the K77 with the CT125. The character of the sound is the same, it is just smoother, to my ears. Also, the CT125 is a musical little rascal, and the 4500hz crossover allows it to show off a bit. Pretty sweet combination.

Okay, as I understand it, with the Type B networks, the 4500Hz mod should not be made due to Dean mentioning about -6dB per octave networks (1st order) having to be 3 octave ranges between crossover points.

But has anyone tried the 4500Hz mod on the Type B just to see how it sounds? If not, I'd be willing to do this mod to my Type B's to see how it sounds.

Bob, how much would this mod cost for the Type B network?

Thanks,

Charles T

Just in case I haven't mentioned it lately, don't do these 4500 hz mods driving the K-77s. They can't take the power at those low frequencies.

Bob Crites

No worries here. I don't see the K77's making their way back into active duty in the foreseeable future. Although, I will be using them to plug the stock holes in the CW cabinets once I move the CT125's up into the top box along with the new midhorn. [;)]

Charles, The mod has been done on at least a couple of Type B sets. I don't think anyone has posted a review of the mod on Cornwalls yet. Contact me for pricing info. Bob

That could get interesting with K55's, K52's, K57's and an occasional K51, the latter 3 may do alright up around 6K, eh?

Charles, The mod has been done on at least a couple of Type B sets. I don't think anyone has posted a review of the mod on Cornwalls yet. Contact me for pricing info. Bob

That could get interesting with K55's, K52's, K57's and an occasional K51, the latter 3 may do alright up around 6K, eh?

I think the K-55 and K-51 could be used be used down to 400 hz, probably not the K-52 or K-57.

Bob