Cornwall IIIs up and running

trioid

Greetings, all. First post here.

Thanks to some pretty detailed information on Cornwalls, provided in part by a number of you, I purchased a pair. Walnut, for anyone who cares.

Background - I spent months researching speakers. Abbys, Pi, etc., .... The best match, and the greatest risk, was the new Cornwall, bought without a listen or look. Then I waited. And waited. And waited........

Large? Yes. WAF issues? Yes. Worth it? Yes!! [:)]

Thanks folks, Cheers, and happy listening

doc jim

Cornwall III's, Bottlehead FP III, Class A triode PP amp, Shanling CDP, etc.

in the land of the AZ pair 'o docs.

Nice first post- that's the kind of good news we really enjoy hearing. Please a photo or two of your setup and the new Walnut CWIII's if you get a chance (I'm insanely jealous right now).

Welcome to the madness and good listening!

Michael

Yep... Klipsch takes a beating on a lot of the other Forums, but I have found if I can just get these people into my house and listen to my rig, I tend to change most peoples minds about them.

Glad to hear you took the chance and came away happy. Post some pics when you get a chance, and join in the fun here.

Mike

BTW, welcome to the Forum.

I found that many of the folks enjoying home built and modified equipment, and other real audio nuts were pretty fond of these high efficiency and rather large speakers. It was generally the snobs that had a problem with them.....

will try and post some pictures next week.

until then, trying magnet wire, moving speakers two mm to the left,.... no, three mm right, no, ....[;)]

jim

I found that many of the folks enjoying home built and modified equipment, and other real audio nuts were pretty fond of these high efficiency and rather large speakers. It was generally the snobs that had a problem with them.....

will try and post some pictures next week.

until then, trying magnet wire, moving speakers two mm to the left,.... no, three mm right, no, ....[;)]

jim

Congrats on the CW IIIs and welcome to the club!

Next week when you're taking pics, be sure to take one or two of that magnet wire you're using as well please. I only ask because I too use magnet wire, but for interconnects. The best ICs I've had.

Charles

trioid,

congrats on your purchase! I am sure you will be very happy with them.... what part of the country are you from? did you get them directly from Klipsch, or pre-enjoyed?? I assume from Klipsch, judging from the wait...

Congrats again!!!

Welcome Trioid. And a huge congrats on the CW III's. Gotta be an excellent sounding speaker. I came within a hair of buying a set, but decided to build something.

Like Michael said, some pics and a brief review when you get a moment.

Re: the WAF: after a few days of head shaking and walking away, she won't even notice them anymore.

My favorite WAF story is when the SVS arrived. After the initial shock wore off, I got a very sarcastic and at the same time very funny "it blends right in."

That's why I love her.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

I remember the first time I heard Cornwalls in 78' at the local audio salon.I was in highschool and the salesman put on some Heart/Magicman.You would have though there was a sub in the room.I instantly fell in love with the sound.Fast foreward to 86' when I got out of the Navy...went to the same salon and to my dissappointment was told the Cornwall was no longer made.Never heard of ebay and finding a used pair didnt work out so I ordered a pair of LaScala's...been stuck there ever since,not a bad place to be imo.

Someday I hope to finally get a pair and put some Magicman on!

Enjoy,Greg

Howdy everyone! Thanks for the messages.

A few details:

- I got the CW3s through a local, independent rep. That was a great way to go (as opposed to some 'big store' options). Support your local business.

- Running the Cornwalls with a modified Carey superamp/Bottlehead Foreplay preamp. Right now I'm using triode strapped 6L6s. You read that right. The old metal cans. They started making those in 1937, and the quad I'm using (push pull, obviously) look like they are 40's vintage. Gotta like the name: RCA Radiotron. I am guessing I'm getting about 8 W per channel. I am biasing them Class A1. Was running some new issue KT88's but the detail (not bass) is far, far, better with the 6L6's. Oh, and they cost about $15 each, 'cause no one seems to like the ugly little things. Must look past the surface! [:)]

- Still breaking in, but OH MAN, what a sound. Soundstage and depth beyond anything I have heard.

- Magnet wire (22 Ga) for the upper end, 16Ga stranded cheap stuff (yes, Monster. I don't even like the name) for the bass. Lots of opportunites for upgrading. But this works, folks.

- The wife loves the sound. Put in some Sarah Mclaughlin (sp?) and that took care of that. Just wants new furniture to get the room arranged right. That works for me!

- The room these are in, along with the rest of the house, is pretty wierd. There is a 3 inch lowered area behind me were the rest of the living room is. Acoustically, this is one very strange place. The last picture seems to be the best we can do for placement. Wife was concerned about me removing a wall to get better acoustics. No. We won't go there. But it is very tempting.

Sorry for the long post, making up for all those months that you folks provided critical info and entertainment!

Cheers,

doc jim

"lovely day for a Guiness!"

post-22257-13819297971192_thumb.jpg