looking for a center channel...

DrWho

So I've moved into a new apartment and finally in a position where I will benefit from a bigger badder center channel. This Synergy SC-1 just ain't cutting it. I've got Chorus II's for mains and have briefly heard the Academy paired with Chorus I's and I think I'd be better off with the C7. But I'm sure either would be fine.

The problem is cash is tight (rather non-existant) so I'm really interested in some form of trade or exchange of favors or something. Just thought I'd ask and see if anything popped up.

So I've moved into a new apartment and finally in a position where I will benefit from a bigger badder center channel. This Synergy SC-1 just ain't cutting it. I've got Chorus II's for mains and have briefly heard the Academy paired with Chorus I's and I think I'd be better off with the C7. But I'm sure either would be fine.

The problem is cash is tight (rather non-existant) so I'm really interested in some form of trade or exchange of favors or something. Just thought I'd ask and see if anything popped up.

I got an old polk center that I'd gladly trade for a RSW-12.....

j/k, best of luck

I'd suggest giving the Academy an honest try -- a few days at least. While oldtimer is correct that it was designed for the Chorus II and not the original, mine was fine with original Fortes. If you want a bigger, badder center than the Academy, the next place to look is a single Forte or Chorus.

Dr. Who,

If you can swing it for space i'd look for a quartet, forte II or another Chorus II. I switched out my academy with a K stack for another forte II. The sound stage is much better and you get a better blend when it pans. I do have the academy still in a box in the basement and also one extra forte II which I was keeping for parts ( it has a broken binding post and is pretty rough)

Well I need to go with something magnetically shielded which the forte/chorus/etc are not. Otherwise I would probably just go with a single heresy for the center (simply because I already have a pair). And space is the other issue...it's gotta fit on top of my 27" TV.

With your space and shielding issues I would say the academy is your best bet. But I know others around here are using other speakers. Have Colter make you a little cornwall and put some bucking magnets on it.

lol, it's been a crazy whirlwind of activity down here...moving was just an afterthought spur of the moment thing. But I did mention that I would be moving soon - it just turned out sooner than I thought. My new pad fricken rocks and costs 1/3 the cost of the previous place [H] Bummer I don't get to see the difference...

Just getting to know the whole Klipsch line and even though the Klipsch literature says the Academy is made for the "2s" (Forte 2, Chorus 2) it employs an exponential horn.

I believe it is the only Klipsch branded center that utlizes an exponential and is highly sought after becuase it mates with the timbre (all exponential) of the heritage series. I could be wrong though =o

So what do heritage HT users normally use for a magnetically shielded center channel?

Typical options include:

-using a single speaker of the same kind as the mains.

-KLF-C7

-Academy

-using a single speaker of similar kind as the mains...like a heresy,

or lascala between khorns, forte between chorus, etc etc...

-custom built center using same parts as mains (like converting a KLF-30 into a center configuration instead of using a C7).

And any speaker can be magnetically shielded with the addition of

"bucking magnets" (like in the case of the heresy and lascala, etc etc).

How about another CI and just use it as your TV stand?

Interesting that you did not find the Academy to your liking with the CI. I did that for a time and thought it mated quite nicely.

From memory (a bad thing at times) I don't recall the C1 and C2 sounding all that different. I do rember liking the C1 just a tad bit more, but think I am in the minority there.

You seem pretty handy from your other posts. I think you need to find a beat up Quartet and turn that into a custom center. Lay it on its side, turn the motor board 90 degrees, center the twet/mid and get two smaller woofers to put on either side. Finally some brackets on the wall to give it the illusion that it is floating just an inch or so above the TV. Sort of an Academy on Steroids.

Still looking for an Academy or C7....

..however, someone in an AV store/installation business was trying to sell me on a RC-62/64. He had me going, until he mentioned...." .... it should sound great, however it won't have the bass of your Forte's. "

I'm not an extreme audiophile, but I don't want to blow a bunch of money on something that wont work.... just how bad would this combo be?

I would highly recommend AGAINST mixing 'heritage' with the reference

stuff. The goal is timbre matching and the newer stuff has a way

different timbre than the older stuff. If your dealer is so confident

then challenge him to letting you take one home to demo and see for

yourself. If you like what you hear then you're all set, but I'd put my

money on you not being satisfied - despite how good the newer stuff is.

(It's not a question of quality, but rather of matching).

xraygav

I don't think so right now. Besides it has a K stack with it and I'd have to sell both. I've been toying with the idea of using it with my upstairs system if I figure out a way to get some sort of book shelf mains that would work with it. Maybe rework some quartets to front port and decrease size? So for right now I'm just setting on it.