Help me pick my TV :-)

Coytee

Ive received some points at work. I have 2,568 points to spend on a program thats ending. I can spend MORE points and front some cash if I want to buy bigger/better.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Looking for opinions on which TV might be the better one to get with the quality of the TV coming first and the cost of points second. Id rather get a lesser priced, smaller TV thats BETTER than a larger crappy one. Or, Id rather get the more expensive TV and pay some cash out of pocket over & above the points.

Here are my choices, I listed them EXACTLY as I see them, I know nothing more:

JVC LCD 32" 1,803 points

Sharp AQUOS HD LCD TV 32 1,587 points

Phillips Widescreen LCD HD TV 32 1,325 points

Samsung HD Widescreen LCD TV 32 1,633 points

Sharp AQUOS HD LCD TV 37 2,267 points

JFC HD LCD TV 40 3,133 points

Sharp AQUOS HD LCD TV 45 4,443 points

Panasonic HD rear Proj LCD 44" 2152 points

Phillips HD integrated LCD TV 42 2,885 points

Sony Grand WEGA Integrated LCD HD Rear proj. 42 1,497 points

Sony Grand WEGA Integrated LCD HD Rear Proj 51 2,124 points

Panasonic HD Rear Proj LCD TV 52 2,281 points

Hitachi HD Ultravision Cineform LCD TV 60 2,807 points

JVC HD D-ILA TV 52 2,143 points

Samsung Widescreen DLP TV 46 1,858 points

Samsung Widescreen DLP TV 56 2,232 points

Samsung HD Widescreen DLP TV 50 2,044 points

Toshiba HD integrated DLP TV (no size given) 2,195 points

Panasonic Plasma HDTV 42 2,959 points

Toshiba Theaterwide HD Plasma 42 2,623 points

Sony Grand WEGA SXRD HD Rear Proj. 50 2,743 points

Panasonic Plasma HDTV 50 3,956 points

LG Electronics Plasma TV 50 5,218 points

I might add that this bonus program is being terminated so I cant just save up for 6 more months and cash them in. I have 30 more days of eligibility and after that they are closing down the program and I either need to use them or lose them.

Id appreciate any thoughts as to any specifics to buy or avoid. Im perfectly willing to spend some extra cash out of my pocket to get the better choice. I just know nothing about these so I thought Id bring it up here.

I might add I personally prefer the thinner wall mount type tvs over the larger, deeper traditional type. If the deeper type are still BETTER than the thinner, Id rather go with the better type.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS: Sure is tough to make this all line up nice & tidy

Wow! Tough choice! I have been out of the TV market long enough to not be any help at all. [:(] I guess I would go with a rear PJ if there was room but that is just me. Check if the sets are "HD ready" or if they have built in tuners, this affects the price. If you have a Sat or Cable box then you don't need a tuner, if you are depending on OAT then you do. There are a lot of people here that like the Sony Wega, Good luck! and CONGRATS![:D]

If you want the best large picture, go for a CRT based RPTV (Mitsubishi is probably the best of this type).

If you want a direct view flat screen LCD, Sharp is highly regarded by many.

Check out this forum for more information on various flat-screen displays. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Note: I have a 65" Mits (3.5 years old) and a 26" Sharp (1.5 years old) and both have been excellent.

If you live fairly close to an urban area you will want a set with a built-in HDTV tuner to receive OTA (over the air) hi-def broadcasts. Check out http://www.antennaweb.org to check for availability in your area.

Dave

Couple of tidbits (perhaps unnecessary to say?)

1. I use Direct TV for all my tv, including local

2. I am NOT interested in a tv with "surround sound" or other things, since I use my Heritage (I just noticed one model said it had no speakers which to ME, is a plus)

3. The list above are my only choices as best I know. I've been dinkering around their website and I'm going to list specific model numbers as/if I can find them.

4. Wife specifically wants thinnest/wall mount instead of a thicker RP.

Models from their website:

Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK 50" Plasma 2,286 points

Phillips 42PF7320A 42" widescreen Plasma HDTV 1,441 points

Samsung HPR5052 50" flat panel HD ready Plasma 2,140 points

Sharp LC-37DB5U Aquos 37" HD ready flat panel 1,449 points

Sony FWD50PX2/B 50" HD plasma mntr (monitor??) 2,299 points

Philips 42PF9630A HD integrated flat panel plasma w/ambilight (gimmick?) 1,625 pts

Philips 50PF7320A 50" widescreen plasma 1,912

Samsung PPM42M5S 42" flat panel, plasma 1,158

Panasonic ONYX TH-43XVS30 42" HD plasma 2,059

Phillips 50PF9630A 50" widescreen plasma HDTV 2,135

Hitachi Ultravision 55HDS52 55" plasma HDTV 3,051

Mitsubishi WD-62526 62" LCD projection HDTV 1,754

Zenith P60W38 60" widescreen plasma HDTV 6,711

I kind of like the idea of the monitors only... I've already got the tuner and sound part taken care of.

Thanks again, for any thoughts

take a look a as many of these as possible that are within your consideratio9n range. TV specs are a good indicator if the TV's are far apart in spec's, but if they are close together....visual observation is critical.

The Plasma's are thin and can be moved by one person, my Panasonic weighs 78 lbs, that's one of the main reasons I bought it. I like the Panasonics, and the Samsung would have been second choice. Whatever you buy today will probably in 3 or 4 years be outdated anyway.

Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-V40XBR1 40" LCD TV!!

Didn't see it as one of your choices though..............

I have read a lot on the Sharp / Sony Lcd flat panels, & I have seen both in displays playing various formats..(DVD/HD/SD..etc) Both are fantastic sets. No glare (we have a very open/bright front room...no problems), no burn-in, fast response times, gorgeous HD picture, light weight for wall hanging.

I have been watching this Sony Bravia for a couple of months now....very happy here! (Was on sale for $2,999..still SPENDY though)

So many to choose from. [;)]

Have fun

Mike

I have the Sony WEGA 42' rear projection. It is a great size for my 13 X 23 foot living/home-theater area.

Depending on how much room you have I'd opt for the Sony 42 or 50 inch. You'll not go wrong in either case. The rear projection LCD is relatively thin (about 10 inches at most deep) and provides an excellent High Definition picture with my Comcast Hi-Def service. You can't go by demo DVDs, because they won't be hi-def 1080.

The plasmas are overpriced and only worth it if you need the thin profile they provide.

Get one of the big Sony's and make sure you match it up with a great home-theater audio system. Then you'll need to get hi-def TV service to really appreciate it and watch the Red Sox beat the Yankees in hi-def. It'll be beautiful, you'll love it.

DO NOT buy the LG!

I have one word for you. Panasonic.

I have had my 42" Panasonic Plasma for 4 years now, no problems. My ex-future father in law went with a 50" LG, it lasted 5 months before it "chid the bed." A whole row of pixels, gone, for no reason. They refunded his 5k, and he bought a 50" Panasonic and pocketed 2k.

Good luck, points are fun! (and free!)

Sony Grand WEGA SXRD HD Rear Proj. 50

the sony sxrd sets are by FAR the best HDTVs on the market right now.

unless you absolutely need to wall-mount the tv due to limited space, then i would reccomend any of the sharp aquos displays.

Ditto the sony recommendation.

And you should avoid anything plasma altogether...they have a decent image and all, but they aren't going to last you a long time. I would also give this one a look:

Samsung HD Widescreen DLP TV 50"

I tried two Sony 42" rear projection LCD TV'S.........THE picture was too dark, and with cable, unless your provider has digital the picture sucks!

I went with a Sony 36" CRT tv and love the Picture........even if the unit is 236 pounds......... Prices are dropping, and if you can , wait at least 6 months .........

Also check CNET for info on your choices. Good reviews and ideas at this site! Research, research, research! good Luck!

Lots of votes it seems for the Sony. Unfortunately, wifey-poo wants the thinnest I can get. I went to circuit city & looked at the Sony (WOW) and also the Samsung plasma (also wow)

I guess it all falls back to how adament she's going to be on wall mounted. Since either one is essentially "free" to me, I can live with either one. Actually, the Sony will cost me about $150 out of pocket where as the Samsung will not only be 100% free, but I can use the balance of points to buy the wall bracket and STILL probably have a couple points left over.

hmmmmm

Don't take this the wrong way, look at the value of your fine stereo equipment, if you really like the Sony, spend the money. With the wall bracket, and you'll probably need a cable or two, what are you talking,$300. or so. Spend the money. Don't settle for something because it's less expensive, you didn't on your stereo gear. No matter what you buy, five years from now it will be obsolete anyway. Easy for me to say, it's your money.........