Klipschorns for sale

SickPuppy

I bought 'em! Just got back from picking them up. Thanks for the tip. I owe you one. I read your message soon after you posted it and within 2 minutes I had gone to the Star website and did a search in classifieds for Klipschorn and came up with the ad, got the phone number, and was talking to the gentleman about buying the K horns. He had gotten several inquiries but none had committed. After talking to him for some time about the speakers, I told him I wanted to come get them Sunday. He held them for me and I drove the 300 miles one way to ST. Joe, Mo. and picked them up. They were in absolutely perfect condition, as he indicated in his ad and on the phone, except for one small mar (not quite a scratch) in the middle of the top surface of one. I worried all the way there that it would be a bust and that they were somehow deficient. They were not. They were looked and sounded beautiful. Something about his demeanor on the phone assured me that he was on the level even tho he could not provide pictures. He was the original owner, having bought them new in "85 and even had the owners manual, receipt, and the gaskets (seals?) for the backs that he had never put on. He bought the unfinished 7 ply birch and had them professional stained and finished in a beautiful walnut with a satin sheen. They had not ever been moved from his office where they were placed when they were delivered to him. I asked him if he would miss them and he said no, that he had probably only listened to them about 10 hrs. because they annoyed his neighbors. He just kept them because they looked so good sitting there. He has been relocated to California and priced them to sell quickly. I'm an extremely happy camper. Thank you again, SickPuppy.

Almost 17 year old speakers and they aren't broken-in yet? Way to go Conductor!

That got me thinkin' again about the revised K-horns coming out - maybe next year now?

It would be interesting to "hear" if you are satisfied and what your current room and equipment is.

Man am I glad!!!! If I had the room to set them up I would have bought them myself, but there's no way at the house were in now. I saw that ad and just had to tell someone! The price almost sounded too good to be true, and to be honest, not even broke in! That is too good !!!! Far out, glad to be of service. Now,LOL, I also know of a pawn shop in Olathe,KS that has alot of vintage MacIntosh......LOL (dunno about his prices)

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing is between the speakers except a very short 3 shelf audio rack (the corner of which is just visible in the picture) the couch is against the side wall. The speakers are 11 feet apart(measured from Klipsch logo to Klipsch logo) and my nose, while seated in the listening chair (which matches the couch, btw), is 13 feet from the from the logos. If you guys want to buy me some new furniture I'll let you pick it out.

------------------

If God had not wanted us to eat animals, then why did he make em taste like meat?

It amazes me how cheaply these things go in the US. A friend of mine has just sold his KHorns to another Greek audiophile. The deal was:

1 pair of Quad 989 electrostatic speakers PLUS $7,800 at today's exchange rates (3 milion Greek drachma).

Here that is considered a "fair" deal on Horns.

All that means that if you were to accept an offer from me for £3,000 and I paid the air-frieght to Greece it would still be cheaper than buying them locally.

If I had 2 free corners in my entire goddammed house I might have made you that offer....anyone here know how to move a fireplace??

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Maxg:

Removal of your fireplace should be a fairly simple matter and could be done in two ways. Both methods require a trip back to the US. First, you could fly back to the US and buy a 12# sledge hammer and some work gloves at Home Depot or Lowes and then go back to Greece and take care of business. Or, you could fly back to the US and buy a pair of KHorns and take them back to Greece. Once home, build a pair of false corners for your speakers and aim them at the fireplace. You select your own music. Then, with the fine setup you already have, cry havoc and turn up the volume! The fireplace should be quickly reduced to rubble.

Good Luck!

Dave

This message has been edited by Dave in Nashville on 12-12-2001 at 02:10 PM

Brilliant idea Dave from Elvis land. I am on my way. I have no doubt sledgehammers are similarly cheap over there anyway.

Smile.gif

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Up Yours LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I only say that when im jealous!

WAY TO GO< if i can sell this dam car of mine then id get somewhere, i just bought an outlaw, and harman kardon brand new, and am keeping my eyes on e-bay at the moment for heresys, most here know im not done,LOL

YEA, im building an awesome 2 channel and H/T at once, because early next year, i have to build on to the house, for the kids, so right now im just getting what i can LOL!

Ill get there, if not now itll be soon,

Regards Jim

It's funny that you are mentioning the "fireplace removal" when allocating space for the HT. We are using the fireplace wall to set up our HT, to make better use of the space in the room. The television sits in the mouth of the fireplace, with the associated gear on each side. I had been thinking about this for a while, when my wife said, "Why not use the fireplace wall - we don't use it". She joked that we need a DVD of a log burning to play on the TV.

This WAF thing isn't as difficult as I thought it may be! She loves those Heritage Klipsch too - she thinks of our Cornwalls as fine furniture, as well as speakers (wait until she sees the subwoofer though!!!).

I'm at about the same stage with my HT as Jim Cornell - just a Heresy pair away from completion (with exception to the new HT preamp which is on order). I just finished the shelf unit for the Academy center to position it above the television. It's not looking good to have it done by Christmas (my initial goal) - I may need to put off the Heresy purchase until after the holidays.

I'll post pics when it's done. Whether you all know it or not, the advice given in this forum has been critical in setting this up. I've gotten more info from this board on the current state of audio (after a ten year hiatus from the biz) than one could ever hope for. Thanks to the forum!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

There was a pair in portland maine for sale also. Unclehenrys online.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

NOTHING-Thanks for NOTHING UBid!(No reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

:eyes

ED

I do have to leave at least 2 feet to walk through lol!

The wife wont need to vaccum to much carpet when i get done, i bet she wishes id set k-horns on the white kitchen floor LOL When we have the money, its ok to buy more klipsch, im forever in love LOL!

I need to sell my Buick, to pay for the 2 recievers i got last week, i hope it goes well, if not, ill manage!

Could you imagine the cornwall stacked on a k-horn?

OR the K-horn top, on a corwall?

Imagination, its fun!

Regards Jim