B&W Speakers are junk - worse than Bose!!!!!

OK, Just kidding. By reading threads here you would think that was the case. I have a pair of new to me DM3000's that I just bought 1/2 hour ago. These things sound great. Hooked up to a decked out AH!, Peach and a QSC 1202 amp.

The build quality is unreal. Metal grill frames, kevlar cones, beautiful veneer.

They sound great too. A very (VERY) detailed relaxed sound. Awesome imaging, and a little light in the loafers on bass but I have them in a room with 20 foot ceilings. The bass is surprisingly good. The paperwork says that they use 4th order crossovers (24 db). The speaker surrounds look like they are rubber and are in perfect shape. The B&W's are realy nice looking too. These things are nice and about the price of a pair of heresys.

I compared them to a pair of belles on the same setup but using 8 watt SET's. The Belles are tonally different. Not better ro worse, but just different. The Belles have a much bigger sound and they also image great too, maybe a wider soundsatge(who says horns don't image? I have never had a problem with heritage imaging).

Oh well, flame away. I'll post some pics.

Chris

post-10861-13819298593222_thumb.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of the best mid-bass I've heard, just need a horsepower amp to control the wild and low impedances swings....

The midrange is really nice. The QSC 1202 has plenty of power for them (89 db efficiency). Do you have any experience with this particular speaker? I moved them to a different room and have them hooked to a digital amp (170 watts/channel).

Thanks,

Chris

I got a velodyne sub from Frzninvt a little while ago. I'll be looking for some floorstanders in the future, but nothing right now. Why do you ask? Maybe I can help you get rid of something.

I have a lot of stuff to get rid of. Belles (WO), Heresys (one pair WO, one pair rough shape), Academy center, Scott SCA35 integrated tube amp, Denon 5800 receiver, Magnaplanar MMG's (I think that's the model).

Email if interested.

Chris

I had a pr of Matrix 801s and really enjoyed them. The only reason I sold them was that they were a bit too much for my room and the bass came across a bit boomy. I still might've kept them but my taste started moving toward SET amps and the B&Ws required too much power. The absolute minimum wattage required for these puppies was 100 watts and they really started singing with 200 watts running through them.

I sold them to my brother-in-law along with a 100w tube amp and he eventually sold them for a pr of Gershman Avantegards because I told him that his room was too small as well. He still misses them and blames me for his loss. Oh well... you can't choose your wife's family.

Have fun, Bryan

A very (VERY) detailed relaxed sound. Awesome imaging, and a little light in the loafers

==================

How many instruments are described as relaxed and light?

Best I ever heard B&W 805 and 801 was with about 9000 USD of McIntosh equiupment.

Not an efficient application of cash and way to laid back on percussion realism for me.

For the most part they are know to be power hungry so nothing a klipsch owner could relate to very much ....

My best friend has a quad of there flagship models and drives them with a stack of big NAK-PA5'S or PA-7'S ... I can't remember which is which right now but they are the big stassis nak's that are the size of a microwave .

These kick some major *** and have some nasty volume levels to boot but the price is out of my reach at this point in time .

I like those little equipment stands. Are those marble tops? DIY? Store bought? Are the B&Ws a permanent addition? md

Thanks Mark.

I made all of the stands but never meant to use them like this. I put this room together while I work on my man cave (Music room). I made the small stands that the crossovers and SET's are on as speaker stands for a set of JBL's that I no longer own. The middle is a leaftover box tubing base and an extra table top that I had in storage. It all looks pretty good. I am building a steel and grantie equipment rack for my man cave. I have everything cut out, just need to weld it up and have the granite pieces bullnosed.

The B&W's are here to stay for my HT. It will make my wife very happy to have the Belles out of our family room. My K Horn clones will be used in the music room so I can have horns in there and bass reflex in the HT room. It looks like I have a pair of Belles and matching heresys for sale now along with an academy.

Chris

PS - the B&W's sound very good with the Peach and QSC amp.

KaiserSetSay has a really great B&W Nautilus with BAT gear setup and it is as clean a system as I have ever heard.

Kaiser, may be avoiding this thread as someone put B&W and bose in the same sentence : )

My Parents have a pair of B&W P9's but the only downfall is that they are running an intergrated Harmon Kardon amp (not sure which model) that does not provide enough power. I think that it is the norm that if you don't have enough power to the B&W's they don't really perform as they should.

Arriving at the small stereo shop 200' outside the entrance I could have sworn there was a man inside sitting on a stool playing an electric guitar. Once inside I realized the music was coming from the B&W 803's and 501 McIntosh monoblocks, the best I've ever heard.

Nice looking speakers there chris......

One of the reasons I chose the Rf7's over the B&W 604's is the power to make them sing issue but I have found out the Klipsches love power too!

Arriving at the small stereo shop 200' outside the entrance I could have sworn there was a man inside sitting on a stool playing an electric guitar. Once inside I realized the music was coming from the B&W 803's and 501 McIntosh monoblocks, the best I've ever heard.

Nice looking speakers there chris......

One of the reasons I chose the Rf7's over the B&W 604's is the power to make them sing issue but I have found out the Klipsches love power too!

I plan on using them in an HT with a Sony STR DA5000ES digitally amplified receiver (170 wpc). If that does not have enough power, I am going to pick up another QSC amp (maybe a 1602 or 2404). 350 wpc of clean QSC power stable down to 2 ohms should wake these things up and the QSC's are really inexpensive. I'll try my QSC 1202 (with a mere 200 wpc from 20 to 20K) to see if that makes a difference that is worth it.

Its funny reading about B&W's on the net. Everyone thinks that you have to have a Krell or Mark Levinson amp that costs as much as a Mercedes. I also noticed that every time someone contacts B&W, B&W states "We don't have any center channels to match - you need all new B&W speakers if you want HT" or "Our new speakers will outperfom the older models and you need to upgrade." Salesmen to the end. It seems to work too.

I just had a pair of B&W 805S in the house for the weekend. Absolutely the best sounding bookshelf speaker I have heard (yes, I have listened to RB75's etc). The sound stage, imaging, inner detail, etc, was simply amazing. The speakers just disappeared and it was as if the musicians were just sitting there playing. The horn loaded tweeter of the 800 series combined with the matrix bracing and kevlar cone presented a sound stage that was life like - no coloration. Of course, they are limited on the low end, but not so much that I felt a need for subwoofer. As much as I love Klipsch and have used them for 20+ years, I now have the 805s on my list to purchase someday. Used them with my C22/MC240 and Outlaw 990/7125 systems - they sounded great on both. I might add I do not care for all the B&W line - 704s for example are not as good to my ear as the Klipsch RF5 - but the 800 series is awesome - expensive - but awesome. It's the midrange - where most music resides - that they do quite accurately.