Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue - Too much Hiss!...................................

Cut-Throat

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hiss: Noise in the audio frequency range, having subjective characteristics analogous to prolonged sibilant sounds. Note: Noise in which there are no pronounced low-frequency components may be considered as hiss.

You'll hear more hiss the more transparent your system is. I just tune it out in my head, normally.

That said, some Miles Davis, I'm thinking "In A Silent Way" in particular, has enough hiss for ten recordings. The multichannel layer of the SACD has only a tiny amount of hiss because the engineers went back to the original multitracks when they remastered it. For the stereo layer, they used the original stereo mix that was just a horrendously awful sounding thing, sounded like it had been dubbed a dozen times on a cassette without Dolby.

I agree.

Although it is a superb CD/Album, it is not the best of recordings. There have been various "re-masterings", but I agree with your conclusion.

I think it is also part of the "price" one pays for having high efficiency speakers - they can be ruthless. For instance, on my Vandersteens it sounds fine.

Good Luck,

-Tom

The Columbia CD re-release does have a ton of hiss, but it's just so good that I can put up with it. I only notice it during the quiet passages anyway. Not sure what Edwin doesn't like about this album tho... to each their own.

By the way, I bought the Classic remaster on vinyl from Elusive Diskand it is much better.

Mike

I had the regular original release and it sounded fine. Bought the re-release 20-BIT remastered and noticed the higher hiss level right away. As mentioned, this is one of those cases where high efficient speakers and a closer copy of the original recording brings out the recording flaws. Most times I can deal with low level tape hiss of the original recording knowing I'm hearing something that close to the original with tape hiss included, but the high hiss level on this re-released the Definitive Version of Kind Of Blue is just too loud. A copy of the vinyl on CD would be fun.

Not sure what Edwin doesn't like about this album tho... to each their own.

Mike

I've tried to like it, Mike. I just can't connect with it. I bought the album based on lots of comments and reviews. I know it's meant to be one of the greats, but...

Now the hiss is something that just doesn't bother me at all with most recordings. In saying that, my SACD copy is excellent, low hiss and surprisingly good sound quality given the age of the recording.