So, Any Opinions on the Gear?

It's been great hearing about the speakers you got to hear and

see. ( I think they should make even more models so there'd be

more to lust after).

But let's get to the nit and gritty. From what I understand a whole bunch of people brought a whole bunch of stuff.

So what were your favorites? How did our local boys with the home grown VRD's and Peaches do against the BAT's etc.?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thebes,

I will provide a few comments/opinions.

VRD's-these are a good buy. These defy any thought that tube amps have no bass. The pushed my dbb's with a total of 4 K33's w/o a hiccup. I am a bassoholic and the amps can put out the punch. Beautiful mids on my 511/902 mid combo. It was noted that the dbb's had to come away from the corner to prevent boomyness. Just like they did on the Corns.

If you want to see what the dbbs are, you can look at Amy's pictures of the Pilgrimage.

The preamp on these was the Scott stereo master. never heard of this until this trip. For a vintage piece, it has a lot of features to make the sound right.

Seadogs Dynaco sounded great on his Corns with the same preamp.

Terry Cruse had his Merlin hooked to his massive Luxman SS amps. Now the bass put through the dbb's was just heart stopin. I am becoming a believer in the preap tube and SS amp combo.

The BAT was utilized mostly in another room with the phono stage. This was hooked to the Khorns and the MC-30's. Got to hear vinyl here.

There wasn't realy a good A/B of the preamp or amp situation. There wqas a good bit of electronic power problems that always seems to botch lengthy sound auditions in the "big room".

jc

JC's dbb's were a treat to hear. I have never been a huge fan of CW bass when compared to a folded horn bass but these were a noticeable improvement in reducing the excursion required to produce the bass response, essentially only doing half the work for the same output (I think I got that correct). The 902s mated to the 511b horns and 2404h tweeters made for a very clean detailed sound. JC did a superb job in finishing these in black, as well and his networks were a work of art to look at as well. These things had bass that could stop and restart your heart!!!!!! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The BAT mated to the MC 30s all hooked up to Me Loves Khorns newly modded KHorns (with Bobs modded networks and CT 215 tweeters) was another absolute joy to listen to!!! I waddled in between rooms listening to both very intently on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed myself, now granted the main room with JCs dbb;s was a tad loud.. LOL kinda felt like I walked out with a look of just having a facelift done!!!

I totally dug Kaiser SET Says introducing me to Keb Mothanks. Listening to Pink Floyd DOSTM on vinyl was a blast. I believe the comment floated was Gee this is just like the 70s but without the pot!!! LOL. And of course we listened to Alan Parsons as well on vinyl!!!!

Seadogs CWs sounded quite good mated to his Scott and VRDs. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire weekend

Cullison's homebrew speakers were insanely well built you could have told me they were from hope pro theater and I would have believed it. I am a low db listened so I was mostly in the small room. I listened mostly to the Khorns and McIntosch 30's as I hadn't heard that combo in years and it is a perfect match.

The only problem now is that I want khorns.

Alas Thebes, one of the only things that dissapointed me about the equipment was no one brought in a Blueberry so I could see just how one sounded as opposed to my VK-3i[:(]

I sure would have liked to here a Blueberry Extreme up against my BAT pre's just to see how good the Juicy is, I keep reading thread after thread about them but have not had a chance to hear one!

As JW said the Lux/Merlin combo was putting a pretty nice signal to his DBB's for sure[;)]

Heading that way as I heard they are very nice indeed, big congrats[:D]

I will tell you Me Loves K-Horns were singing for & aft of Bob's new networks/Tweets driven by Richard's (Coytee) MC30's (I have already had 2 lustful dreams of them since the Farmhouse[:P]

You cad!

[A]

Truth is, I had never heard GOOD corner horns before the pilgrimage. That setup at the Farmhouse was outrageous - lush, solid, clean. I had a shot at Klipschorns here locally last fall - for $1200 - and passed. When I auditioned them I was sincerely unimpressed - but having heard GOOD ones, I now wish I had picked those up. Oh well, opportunities come and go, and sometimes get away.

Chris

Cullison's homebrew speakers were insanely well built you could have told me they were from hope pro theater and I would have believed it. I am a low db listened so I was mostly in the small room. I listened mostly to the Khorns and McIntosch 30's as I hadn't heard that combo in years and it is a perfect match.

The only problem now is that I want khorns.

And I want MC-30s! Richard, did I hear you were considering selling??

I admit, I have vacillated back/forth on selling them. Prior to going to Hope, they were clearly for sale (emotionally). While listening to them again, I decided to not make any mention of that.

Since being home, even as recently as this morning, I've had more back/forth thoughts on should I or not.

I'm being a real mamby-pamby on this and not making up my mind.

One of the (sneaky?) reasons I took them to Hope was in part to let others hear them yes. The sneaky part comes in from the thought of selling them. Now, I have a number of people who have seen them, can attest to their sound AND just as important, their physical condition.

I had never heard a pair of McIntosh amps prior to these so I had no reference point to know if they were kicking butt or wimping out.

I DO know that they've already been gone through electonically, by Terry DeWick (prior to my buying them). When I spoke to Terry about them, he also added that they were among the prettiest he's ever seen.

It was because of his comments that I bought them sight/sound unseen.

I'll let others vouch for their sound and asthetic qualities.

btw, I've got $2,800 in them

OK Finster I'm going to do my best Gladdis Kravitz on this one and see how close Richard says I am[:$]

As the little bird told me he very well may have had those intensions when arriving at the farmhouse however it was said before leaving (probably due to the AWESOME sound coming through MeLovesK-Horns speakers) felt he may have been making a hasty decision from the onset[;)]

Coytee, just working the crowd hard because you know if you drop the gavel they are lining up[:D]

I'm not sure if the BAT's had a thing in the world to do with the sound coming out of those K-Horns but I will say to this day that was the best K-Horn setup I have ever heard period! I credit the MC-30's for I truly believe that combination may be hard to beat anywhere unless one was to go for more MAC power but it sure seemed more power would never get used IMHO[:)]

Sounds lkike I missed out on some superb equipment and I cetainly

appreciate you guys taking the time to flesh out your viewpoints on the

gear.

I am surpsied there wasn't a Blueberry in sight, I guess I just kinda figured the VRD's never traveled without one.

I've never spent any time around Mac gera so I just have to take

everyone else's word for it that they mate very well with Klipsch.

Hey Tim, you're right: I was spacing out about your BAT gear. Thanks for bringing it (and the boy wonder Seti) in the BATmobile!

Dang! We've got to get together more often! What time are you off work? ;^)

Hey Tim, you're right: I was spacing out about your BAT gear. Thanks for bringing it (and the boy wonder Seti) in the BATmobile!

Dang! We've got to get together more often! What time are you off work? ;^)

But I don't wanna be the boy wonder.........I don't wanna wear tighs..... help .........

How was graceland?

Fini, remind your wife to ship those packages lol

I must concur, Seti in a pair of tights is a very scary thought indeed[:o]

Sure wish I could have heard a Blueberry on the MAC's for some reference on mine but maybe one day Seti will have one and he can bring it over[;)]

He is a wonder boy alright but it has nothing to do with hanging out with a bat! Maybe a ding-bat[:D]