The wait is over for Pink Floyd fans ..Pulse out on July 11!

pierceb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Edit: I tried the 640 kbps version on my PC and it played flawlessly. Time to get the owner's manual out for my Elite and see if there's an adjustment someplace!"

Picky, if you find a setting to allow this, please let me know. I can't get it to play at that setting either.....

Thanks~

Mike

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback. I love writing and it's always nice to hear when someone has enjoyed reading what I've written.

Mikekid: No joy, sir! I can't seem to find anything pertaining to a setting I might be able to try regarding the higher sampling rate and my DVD player. I will continue to look/ask around.

I would agree... definitely worth the wait! I picked mine up today at Best Buy for $14.99. Well worth it!

Hard to believe but my Sony 5-disc DVD player actually played the 640 bit version.... maybe it's not as bad as I thought it was lol.

All I can say is WOW... quite visually entertaining! Man... that is one show I wish I would have caught! The lights were just incredible... and all this from 1994! Can you imagine if it were filmed today in high-def? I thought the audio was excellent also... not DTS, but excellent non-the-less. As was stated there are some LFE moments, and the vocals were right up there also. I didn't notice any flaws whatsoever. Watching Gilmore play makes me want to pick up a guitar :) Any Picky was right.. that percussionist was crazy!

Lemme see if I understand properly, just how bad I shot myself in the foot...

I've ordered this through Amazon

It will be shipping anytime now

Mark is (buying) picking up my Khorns tonight

My Jubilees aren't scheduled to be built until July 28

I'll only have my tv speakers to listen to...

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I SOOOO screwed myself. Anyone got a pair of Bose I can borrow?

[:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@]

No, but come on up to Indy, Roger and I will blast your eardrums real good!

Nice review Picky! I don't know why some of those drum hits between songs have to be soooo loud, I kept reaching for the remote. And -10, dude you'd have to wear earplugs. I could only take -20 for most of it, turned it to -10 during the big finale with the mirror ball. I remember just shaking and in tears for some reason during the concert when I saw that part live, it was tremendously moving.

Michael

The DVD player shouldn't have any effect on whether you can play the 640 track or not, if you have it hooked up via Optical or Dig. Coax. Then the receiver is decoding. Those of you using the DV47Ai, are you using the firewire connection? That could be the problem.

The looong wait is finally over. This is an incredible dvd; I think even a non Floyd fan will be impressed. The surround sound mix and quality was excellent here on my computer with 4.1.

That is good since the center channel is practically non-existant. I do not hear any center content on my copy. I can not understand how everybody is praising the 5.1 mix on this dvd. Just my .02.

The DVD player shouldn't have any effect on whether you can play the 640 track or not, if you have it hooked up via Optical or Dig. Coax. Then the receiver is decoding. Those of you using the DV47Ai, are you using the firewire connection? That could be the problem.

Todd: I am using the Firewire, but I see that Mikekid is not and with the same result. One would think that my receiver should decode this stuff, too. It's a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi. I don't know what the issue is. (???)

Michael: Our "-10 db's" probably don't match. It wasn't too loud for my mom, and she's 87 and has great hearing. I believe you met her when you were over. She loves Pink Floyd, by the way.

kelA: There appears to be plenty of center channel coming out over here. Different settings, perhaps?

So I must have a poor copy. I will admit that it sure sounds like material is coming from the center, but put your ear up to it and very very faint. Even if I max out the center channel level, still no noticable change. No special DSP's engaged just straight Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding. With or without the higer bit rate. My rc7 works just fine with other DVD's. Since the majority have not had any problems maybe I will try to exchange my copy. A few have attributed this to it possibly being a concert and not a movie, but if that is the case, this dvd comes nowhere close to the Eagles HFO DVD.

The center channel doesn't have much output on my system either. However, I think it is mixed this way. From what I've read, they tried to mix this to represent the concert experience as much as possible, and, there was no center channel at the concert. If one can get over the fact that there is not much center channel output, and sit back and really listen to the front array, you might develop a different opinion on the mix. The soundstage is huge and sounds excellent (edit: and I don't hear any "hole" in the center even thought the output is lower than the L and R channels). The center channel seems to be used more for ambient effects and helps develop the huge soundstage, at least that's how I hear it.

If one is used to, and prefers, lots of output from a channel, then I suppose they will not be impressed with this disk set.

Based on my initial viewing (only watched it once) I do think that disk 2 sounds better overall than disk 1, but I haven't listened long enough to determine why that is.

As always, YMMV.

-PB

I just watched this show,I was rather pleasantly surprised.The show looks and sounds much better than it did 10 or so years ago.The sound quality is really good,not the very best but better than most.Considering it's a large venue and thinking of how bad Rush sounds on their RIO dvd it's a prize.I found the bass to be very nice/full with some great moments for the subs.Another positive is you don't have to crank it loud just to get the feel,even 50 to 80 dbs sound nice.The upper range was pretty clear and you hear it all but it's not sizzlin'(a good thing).Overall I'd say 8.5 of 10(Steely Dan being 9.5/Rush being 6),pretty good for older and large venue.I enjoyed it almost as much as the live show,better than I remembered.