Dukester- need JBL info

IB Slammin

Hi Terry,

Great speaker in my opinion. It uses a slot tweeter and a horn/compression driver mid-range. The lens is used to disperse the sound for lack of a better description. The 15" woofers should have alnico magnets and would certainly need the foam surrounds replaced if it has not been done all ready. You need to be concerned with originality of all the drivers, especially the woofers. If you go to the Lansing Heritage Forum, you can find tons of information on them and members who are certainly more versed in what to look for and value than I am. Hope this helps!

Mark

Duke,

I have the opportunity to steal a pair of JBL L300's in super condition. Teak(?) and glass tops.

Is this a good speaker with this ribbon tweet thing and that funky horn lens? (I think I know the answer)

What are they worth in mint condition?

Thanks,

Terry

Jump on them. I see people looking for them a lot over at Lansing. They are worth as much as K Horns.

Chris

Terry, these are some excellant speakers, and are more collectible than Khorns(smaller numbers, limited production years.) I've seen them go from $300 to $3,000, but prices usually start near four figures and peter out about $2k for solid examples.

Teak, eh? The gods are smiling on ya today! Take a helper along, as these are large enough they can get away from a single person lifting/moving them if not careful.

If you decide not to swing it, give us a heads up. I'll drive down the bootheel and over to pick up a pair of teak. The D130 woofer surrounds normally have given up the ghost by now - if they are intact and in good shape, they probably are redone already.

The Summits are one of a handful of speakers that fill a room like Khorns do.

Some manufacturers (like Danley Sound Labs) will measure the output of

a speaker with 10W at 10m, which theoretically will yield the same

"sensitivity" as 1W at 1m. It's a way to get around the boundary gain

issues from being so close to the speaker (and is a measurement

typically performed outside: half-space).

But I have a feeling they measured the speaker with 1W at 10m which

means the sensitivity rating is 10dB lower than 1W at 1m. And then

throw it into 1/8th space and you're looking at 96dB in room

sensitiviy, which would make a ton more sense relative to other similar

speakers.

"Teak(?) "

Walnut, sun fades to a similar color to teak. Grain is different.

"D130 woofer"

136A, 2231 in the pro version, later called the 2235H in ceramic magnet.

"what's with the 80 db at 15' sensitivity rating?"

15" / 3.3' = 4.5454

log10 (4.5454) = .6576

.6576 (20) = 13.15dB

80dB + 13.15dB = 93.15dB/W/1M

"10W at 10m"

100W at 10M gives the same as 1W/1M (except most drivers have 1dB or so power compression at that level). A good test, and becoming 'the new standard'.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1975-l300.htm

1/3rd oct respone of ±3dB from 31.5hz to 20Khz

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1977-4331-4333/page3.jpg

Thanks for the info guys.

I was trying to keep a poker face and didn't look at them closely. The guy is moving to a smaller house. I have a pair of nice WO H2 that he might like.[;)] I will take another look this afternoon. Check out the woofers. Good point about the finish. Many windows in the place.

tc