ROGER OR DAVID?

BigStewMan

Talking of old Roger - am I the only one on here that also bought his recently released Opera (Ca IRa)?

I dont think it is his best work - and it is certainly not his genre - but it is a hell of an attempt.

Better than Lloyd Weber - not Verdi, of interest to fans only I would guess.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lloyd Bridges is more macho than any of them!

would that be the Seahunt days or Airplane days or as Izzy Mandlebaum on that Seinfeld episode?

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin glue!"

Well, I'll put my 2cents in here....although I'm not as familiar with the "David" version...I have seen Roger Waters In the Flesh live several times, and even though I enjoy it, and it's technically and musically perfect, I find it almost TOO perfect. It has a air of...hmm....anal retentiveness in the staging and performances (eg. the backup vocalists' perfect sync), and it just doesn't look fun. He needs to relax. I'm not sure if he's like that always, but I find it irritating.

I'm with Amy all the way...pulse is ok but i bet $ its been MAJORLY

FIXED IN THE MIXING ROOM. anal retentiveness lol that is it david &

roger are the same.+with that much money you can make anything sound

I like them most from oldest to newest. You might look for the "A Nice Pair" double album which is the combined Piper and Saucer, or the "Relics" album which has some of the same songs in the 67-69 period.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn 1967

A Saucer Full of Secrets 1968

Ummagumma (doulble album) 1969

Meddle 1971

Obscured by Clouds 1972

well, i saw roger perform last sunday night at the hollywood bowl. as expected, he was right on. roger has surrounded himself with some very good talent; and unlike barbara streisand, roger didn't lecture us with his political views (only two references made: the writing on the flying pig, and some of the lyrics in leaving beirut). i must admit, i was a little starstruck. i've listened to pink floyd for so long, seen videos, interviews, etc...and when he stepped onstage, it was neat finally seeing the guy live. Nick Mason joined him for the second set, which was the entire DSOTM. I'll put it right up there with my other "legends" concert, which was Queen in 1980. Take in the concert if you get the chance.

well, i saw roger perform last sunday night at the hollywood bowl. as expected, he was right on. roger has surrounded himself with some very good talent; and unlike barbara streisand, roger didn't lecture us with his political views (only two references made: the writing on the flying pig, and some of the lyrics in leaving beirut). i must admit, i was a little starstruck. i've listened to pink floyd for so long, seen videos, interviews, etc...and when he stepped onstage, it was neat finally seeing the guy live. Nick Mason joined him for the second set, which was the entire DSOTM. I'll put it right up there with my other "legends" concert, which was Queen in 1980. Take in the concert if you get the chance.

Saw QUEEN at the small Glens Falls, N.Y. Civic Center on tour for the Game album, always kinda didn't like them, friend got stuck with a ticket, I took it, What a Great Performance.......the Greastest Show I've ever seen.......small, small venue.....7500 standing room only..........Sure am glad I witnessed that.....Freddie was the ultimate show man.........great lights, sound, and a Great Band of Musicians......oooops suppose to be about Dave or Roger...........I have grown to like John Lennon over what's his name..........

Well, I guess I have to take my seat as an old fart...

Debating what current lineup of a fractured band just doesn't excite me. But then, for most folks Pink Floyd began with the release of DSOTM.

Its funny, as I much prefer their older stuff up through Meddle -including their older live shows as well!

The same can be said with regards to bands like Fleetwood Mac. I am a Huge fan of them - such a grand procession of incredible musicians right up to the departure of Bob Welch and the joining of Buckingham and Nicks. How ironic that most have no idea of them prior to the mediocre pop of Buckingham and Nicks!

BTW, The directors cut of PF Live at Pompei includes the original as well as the newer edited version with much, if not all, of what is on the making of DSOTM.

OK, I'd best run and hide before the crowd with torches and pitchforks show up with the tar and feathers! [:P]

Well, I guess I have to take my seat as an old fart...

Debating what current lineup of a fractured band just doesn't excite me. But then, for most folks Pink Floyd began with the release of DSOTM.

Its funny, as I much prefer their older stuff up through Meddle -including their older live shows as well!

The same can be said with regards to bands like Fleetwood Mac. I am a Huge fan of them - such a grand procession of incredible musicians right up to the departure of Bob Welch and the joining of Buckingham and Nicks. How ironic that most have no idea of them prior to the mediocre pop of Buckingham and Nicks!

BTW, The directors cut of PF Live at Pompei includes the original as well as the newer edited version with much, if not all, of what is on the making of DSOTM.

OK, I'd best run and hide before the crowd with torches and pitchforks show up with the tar and feathers! [:P]

Got any extra room beside ya.??????????? Good point about the Mac.....different direction.....not knocking Buckingham and Nicks......Christine should sing lead more......,I just accept Pink Floyd the way they are........others can decide Dave or Rog...............

WHERE'S MY LIGHTER!!! Just finished sharpening the pitch fork, oiled the battle axe, now the tourch WILL NOT LIGHT....

What kind of monster herding can I do like this?

Fleetwood Mac was always a great band to me! I never really heard the stuff before Stevie, so I cannot judge. But one of my all time fav's.

OB, that queen show must have been awsome! In your face guitar and Freddie was a perfectionist at vocals. Ever see the "behind the band" (ummm, no poor referance intended to Freddie[:$]) on Queen?

Keeping the thread on FLOYD, the reasons above are one example of why I've always loved the Live at Pompeii set, now on remastered DVD. It's Meddle and older songs, plus some studio shots of recording of DSOTM in an eerie abandoned amphitheatre setting. Marvelous musicianship and funny interviews.

Note Nick who keeps trying to order 'a piece of apple pie without so much crust' at the local greasy spoon!

Keeping the thread on FLOYD, the reasons above are one example of why I've always loved the Live at Pompeii set, now on remastered DVD. It's Meddle and older songs, plus some studio shots of recording of DSOTM in an eerie abandoned amphitheatre setting. Marvelous musicianship and funny interviews.

Note Nick who keeps trying to order 'a piece of apple pie without so much crust' at the local greasy spoon!

Opps, sorry...OK...ever seen Floyd Cramer on Piano...Wowza!

Did you get many big screen shots of Nick in action? How did he look/sound?

Yes--plenty of Nick on the big screen. Especially, at the beginning of the song TIME. He can still play the drums--it was nice seeing "half" of Pink Floyd. The performance sounded just like the album, although the background stuff (other voices, sound effects, etc...) were much more noticeable with this sound system.