ROGER OR DAVID?

BigStewMan

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....But wasn't the "Wish You Were Here" LP dedicated to Syd since he couldn't make the opening debut?

And isn't "The Division Bell" the only PF lp (with Rodger W.) that is 99% David Gilmor?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....But wasn't the "Wish You Were Here" LP dedicated to Syd since he couldn't make the opening debut?

And isn't "The Division Bell" the only PF lp (with Rodger W.) that is 99% David Gilmor?

Yes Wish You Were Here was dedicated to and is completely about Syd.

But as far as hm missing the debut I don't think thats why it was named that.

David Gilmour's PF recorded 2 studio recordings.

1. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

2. The Division Bell

Pluse 2 live concerts were released as well

1. The Delicate Sound of Thunder

2. Pulse

• 2 months later...

Having just heard Roger Waters, I've got to add this. Roger has one of THE MOST expressive voices in rock and roll. Period.

And in terms of showmanship, not quite the grandeur of Floyd in a Stadium, but for an outdoor amphitheater, he brought along a great mix of pyro, flames, explosions, projections, surround sound (even for the lawn seats) and yes, a flying pig.

It took Snowy White, Andy Fairweather-Low, and another guitarist to fill Dave's shoes, but I must say some of the solos were either note-for-note bang on, or the guitarist du jour stepped up and 'owned it', making the track his own, but staying faithful to the majority of the structure. But again Dave was the genius who WROTE IT, wasn't he?

Right now where I'm sitting today it's a tie. I love em both.

But why must the cameras ALWAYS be on Roger, even when someone else is taking a solo?

I liked Pink Floyd until DSOTM which I hated - it was the end of them for me. I think they just exhausted their musical ideas and made DSOTM to finish it for good. What a surprize that it became popular, so they changed into a money band and lost their souls. For those of you operating as if DSOTM was their first album, you have no idea.

i'll be seeing his show this sunday at the hollywood bowl.

if it's anywhere near as good as In the Flesh, i'll be very happy.

where i give him the most credit post-floyd is that roger surrounds himself with very good talent.

based on what i've read on this thread, it should be a real good show.

Right now where I'm sitting today it's a tie. I love em both.

and that's ok. i guess i tend to be too competitive and always find myself having to chose one over the other. i do this with many things--sports, food, music, etc...fact of the matter is that those guys worked together for a reason, they each knew how the other complemented their individual talent. It's sad that performers put so much emphasis on getting the credit, that has been the downfall of so many bands. On Queen's dvd "The Making of A Night at the Opera" there is a portion where they're talking about the bass player, john deacon not writing very much of the music. knowing that royalties have been the achilles heel of many bands, freddie mercury started as early as the queen II album, encouraging john deacon to write more music.

i'm seeing roger's performance next sunday at the hollywood bowl. is shine on you crazy diamond part of the show? that is my favorite. i do like they way the solo on comfortably numb has been done in the past. david & snowy white actually did that before, it was kinda regarded as a battle of the actual guitars, ala david's strat vs. snowy's les paul. at times, they went on much longer that the original solo.

thanks for the concert update!

Having just heard Roger Waters, I've got to add this. Roger has one of THE MOST expressive voices in rock and roll. Period.

Yes, I agree whole heartedly. With that quote in mind, so too does Robert Plant, in both his past and present music recordings.

I liked Pink Floyd until DSOTM which I hated - it was the end of them for me. I think they just exhausted their musical ideas and made DSOTM to finish it for good. What a surprize that it became popular, so they changed into a money band and lost their souls. For those of you operating as if DSOTM was their first album, you have no idea.

Paul, what are your 2 favorite floyd LP.

Yes, I agree whole heartedly. With that quote in mind, so too does Robert Plant, in both his past and present music recordings.

I'll have to add THE VOICE of Glenn Hughes to that list.

Well, here goes.....

DG....by far for me! I just listened to the Pro & Cons by RW and I was, well, dissapointed. Don't get me wrong but there was nothing new. As I stated in another thread it was The Wall moving on to The Final Cut, that moved on to Pro's and Cons...Well written though!

David's new album, to me, is spectacular. I was taking some guitar lessons this year and my instructor had his musical life changed by DG. He said he used to be a hard & fast player until someone turned him on to DG. It then became the "less is more concept" that made the guitar talk. Many can play but few can evoke such emotions as DG can.

I can understand choosing Dave, but for those of you that have not heard Amused to Death I would suggest you do prior to finalizing your decision.

I have every PF, and most of their solo stuff, on vinyl - some 23 albums all in all. For me DSOTM was a watershed and is one of my all time favorite albums even though I must have listened to it a thousand times.

Thing is - for me - Amused to Death is better than DSOTM - but that is just me.

My order of favoritism would be:

Amused to Death, DSOTM, The Wall, Animals and Wish you were here.

I guess that kinda explains my preference.

I will go and order Amused to Death today.

Hope you like it - please let us know.

Also - depending on how well your system is setup for soundstaging you should get quite a shock with this one. It was recorded using a technology called Q-Sound - from back in the day before Dolby Digital and the like. 2 speakers and there are sounds coming from all around you - even behind.

This effect works best with the vinyl implementation - but the CD does it to an extent as well.

Gilmore.

The reason I read for the break-up was Gilmore and the rest of the band

got sick of all of the songs prior to Animals. They were written

to or about Syd Barrett; almost like Waters was pining for a lost

love. Once you know that, the lyrics make great sense, esp. DSOTM

and WYWH.