ROGER OR DAVID?

BigStewMan

With the passing of Syd, Pink Floyd has become a popular topicrightfully so, as they're one of the Top Four bands (in my opinion). Its been reported that their break-up was caused by a battle between Roger Waters and David Gilmour. Waters claiming that he was the talent because he wrote most of their stuffGilmour responding that he was the better musician.

Which do you prefer: Gilmours new Pink Floyd or Roger Waters band?

I will have to cast my vote for Roger Waters. I will see him live performing Dark Side of the Moon at the Hollywood Bowl this October. I have two concert DVDsIn the Flesh and The Wall. Both are fantastic. Snowy White, one of the guitarists, is far better than David Gilmour; so with the musical talent to compliment Waters great writing, his band is pretty good. As I write this Im reminded of a couple of arguments that my older brother and I have had who was the better James BondSean Connery or Roger Moore? or who was tougher Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, friends, I've probably been down this road before...but I have always loved Pink Floyd. They set the standard for airy, exacting sound and acoustics. You want to check out that new amp or speakers, put on a nice copy of DSOTM and listen.

It's really hard to seperate the two guys. They were always better together and would it have not been great if they buried the hatchet and did the new DSOTM tour together? Now that would have been something. Gilmour is perfectly capable without Waters and I love "The Division Bell". You can also see Gilmours influence on "Obscured By Clouds" Meddle" and most other Pink Floyd works. And who can deny what Waters does. And Mason and Wright. You would be amazed at how a band works and contributes. It takes all 4. At least they're still playing.

Bob

I have said this before, if they want to do Darkside of the Moon it should be Gilmour and Waters together with the band, that's the best way.............the original line-up........put away the petty stuff, and make the Music together as Pink Floyd, the band.........................If I have to pick one..........it's DAVE.......................

David has always been a serious contributor to the Floyd, could mop of the floor with most guitarists (sorry Snowy White included), has solid vocals and still writes and records the most 'Floydian' music of any of them. These days David and his Pink Floyd are a better recording and stage act than anything Roger has cobbled together.

Roger has has the masterpiece The Wall to stand behind, is a great player and very emotive vocalist, but his outings both in the studio and live have seemed lackluster to me. Yes I have Pros and Cons and KAOS as well as the In the Flesh DVD. It just doesn't have the power that Floyd did or does today. Great concepts, good musicianship, but it just does not have the force of even Animals or Wish you were Here. I am not paying $130 to see Roger and band this time around.

Perhaps I'm just getting old. I'd rather purchase a DVD or CD and sit at home and enjoy it than fight the throngs.

BigStew...Snowy White is a better guitar player than David Gilmour..Are you on drugs?

Snowy White is a decent BACKUP guitar player but he couldn't hold Davids pick.

Now that I blew steam on that one here are my thoughts.

I like both RW and DG. I have see PF many times from 73 on up. They were just awesome! I have also seen DG's PF and it is nothing short of spectacular. When I saw the RW Pro's & Con's tour I almost fell asleep that same year I saw DG's PF and there was no comparrison. RW Radio Kaos tour was far better then the Pro's and Cons show but still no where near PF. If you have not seen the Pulse show go out and get it because this is everything that PF is. DG just freakin smokes especially on Sarrow and Comfortably Numb.

The best RW show was In The Flesh which I saw in 2000/1 Roger had a better band this time.

DG is considered one of the top guitarist ever to put his fingers on a set of strings. Oh my god Snowy White? When Fender Guitars had its big Strat Pack show who was the top bill? was it Snowy White? Nope wrong again it was David Guilmour

Nuff Said I went overboard and instead of my 2 cents I must have used an extra penny or two..sorry

scooter

Just listen to the 2nd disc of Pulse.... You will for get all about Roger Waters and just smile, listen, be amazed, and most important.... ENJOY the show!!

Why?

Many musicians play other peoples music either written for them, past hits, or a silent writer.. (Think of Elton John's Bernie Taupin, for instance.) Who cares? We all know David is the better musician, at least now, can sing better, and seems to enjoy his life now as well.

As political at times Floyd was, it is a shame.... in my opinion.... they can't come together for their generation of fans and let us know what is on their minds too.

• Moderators

Lloyd Bridges is more macho than any of them!

would that be the Seahunt days or Airplane days or as Izzy Mandlebaum on that Seinfeld episode?

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin glue!"

Well, I'll put my 2cents in here....although I'm not as familiar with the "David" version...I have seen Roger Waters In the Flesh live several times, and even though I enjoy it, and it's technically and musically perfect, I find it almost TOO perfect. It has a air of...hmm....anal retentiveness in the staging and performances (eg. the backup vocalists' perfect sync), and it just doesn't look fun. He needs to relax. I'm not sure if he's like that always, but I find it irritating.

BigStew...Snowy White is a better guitar player than David Gilmour..Are you on drugs?

SCOOTERDOG--For the record, Ive been drug-free since early 1980although youre not the first to ask that--perhaps it's time to consider that some permanent damage was done? Anyway, Im not a David-hater at all, I should have clarified what I was meant in my original post. I think that Rogers band does a better job playing PF songs than Davids. Ive heard them both, this is just my opinion. RW does tend to get wordy which Ive read was a problem for David, who wanted a balance between lyrics and musicI agree with him on that point. And I really dont want to hear Rogers political tiradesalthough always there, of late have really been harsh. Ive always liked bands like Floyd & Yes that can instrumentally play indefinitely. Snowy may not be a prolific songwriter and wont make the Rolling Stones Top 100; but, the man can play. For curiositys sake, I checked their Top Tenwhich is very suspect.

1Jimi Hendrix

2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band

3 B.B. King

4 Eric Clapton

5 Robert Johnson

6 Chuck Berry

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan

8 Ry Cooder

9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Its all subjectiveI like Steve Howe, Brian May, Gary Richrath, and yeseven Snowy White. To venture out of rocktwo Brazilian guys, Los Indios Tabajaresgreat classical guitarists. All who in my opinion are better than Keith Richards. (yes, more controversyI think the Rolling Stones are the most over-rated rock group of all time. Still dont know why I went to their Farewell Concert back in 1982?) Although, I do give the readers credit for putting one of my favorites, the late Stevie Ray Vaughan in the Top Ten! Anyway, its fun to argue this stuffand I do it in good spirit. Happy Friday, and enjoy your weekend.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin glue!"

Well, I'll put my 2cents in here....although I'm not as familiar with the "David" version...I have seen Roger Waters In the Flesh live several times, and even though I enjoy it, and it's technically and musically perfect, I find it almost TOO perfect. It has a air of...hmm....anal retentiveness in the staging and performances (eg. the backup vocalists' perfect sync), and it just doesn't look fun. He needs to relax. I'm not sure if he's like that always, but I find it irritating.

EXACTLY Amy, Roger has always had that 'we're only in it for the money' air about him. Call it dogmatic, anal, egomaniac, or just plain arrogant. I personally just don't care for his attitude onstage.

I agree with Colter on all points.

Gilmore is the voice and guitar of Pink Floyd. There isn't much more really. His solo works show he even has the writing ability. Actually, I don't even see a purpose for Roger Waters anymore. He left, he can stay gone.

I watched the live 8 performance. It was hot. But Roger Waters showed "attitude" and arrogance instead of something more like "hey man, we actually did this gig together, maybe we could do it again". But no....it was "look at me" instead.

That night Gilmore embarrassed Waters with his performance. His everyday stuff is just pure talent and to a higher leven than Waters.

I'll give Waters the nod for his ingeniuous concepts and lyrics. But as a band member, he's really not necessary. Pink Floyd is David Gilmore now.

I agree with the statement above stating the Rodger's band did a bette job of playing PF music, than Davids. That's about as simple an explination for this topic as it gets. Though no one will likely disagree with the statement that both David and Rodger are incredibly talented. I do believe that Rodger's mind carried the group to a higher level, and sustained them their. I do believe that Rodger is a virtuoso, where as David is merely an incredibly talented individual.

Either way, everyone that loves both past and present PF music lost. IMHO, Rodger was PF, now it's something else.

The reason they broke up wasn't that David said he was a better musician. RW wanted control of the band and David spoke for the other two that they didn't want to be led by one member, especially as ego driven as RW. The proof is in the Final Cut. Roger had his way and they filled it with his theme and dour poetry and forgot about melody and songcraft. He had his chance as leader and the others, thankfully, didn't want to continue that way. Their best stuff was behind them, but when they started out again without RW, they were much more Floydian.

RW's solo stuff is interesting, but not enduring. Davids is enduring--that guitar is soulful and distinctive--no-one sounds like him--

Daves early solo work was quite good,Rogers solo work is worse than garbage.Roger does PF music better than Dave.I don't care for Daves version of PF,seen em' live in the 80's for free about 50ft from stage,it was ok for free.Together they're great,solo goes to Dave,at least the early stuff,PF music live goes to Waters(as long as he don't play his solo stuff).Only my opinion.

The reason they broke up wasn't that David said he was a better musician. RW wanted control of the band and David spoke for the other two that they didn't want to be led by one member, especially as ego driven as RW.

That is correct. The numbers of reasons are most likely more than the public knows. Some personal, some professional. From what I've read, it sounds like Roger already had control of the band. I know David got upset about not getting enough credit for his contributions. (Roger has been credited with upwards of 70% of either sole credit or co-credit of The Pink Floyd's music--I read an interview with RW and he kept referring to the band as THE PINK FLOYD). Roger's "concept" albums, although David lauds Roger's talent, did require many words, which David felt created an imbalance. I think David is a much happier person in life. I credit David with owning up carrying a grudge (which to rid himself of that was one of the reasons he said he agreed to do Live8). Post Live8 interviews had RW saying that although it was nice to perform again with the guys, even in that short time together, he could feel the same old crap starting all over again. David was quoted as saying that the experience was "like sleeping with my ex-wife again." Hopefully, one day they can truly reconcile. Roger's solo stuff isn't on my list of favorites--just like the way he does The Pink Floyd better. I just read that Gilmour says his favorite PF album is Wish You Were Here (but he also said Meddle was one of his favorites also). And Waters said he's often said that album should have been called Wish WE Were Here--because they weren't. Both said that Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma were crap--Roger even went as far as saying that Atom Heart Mother shouldn't be listened to.

RW wanted control of the band and David spoke for the other two that they didn't want to be led by one member, especially as ego driven as RW.

Anyone here ever heard of, or read about someone who was or is a famous & successful leader and that didn't have a star reaching ego?

I surely havn't.