Anyone Looking for NOSValaves VRDs?

Living proof that one can move from higher powered push pull amps, to lower powered SET amps, AND, life as we know it in this universe continues. The converse is also true. No topology debate is required.

This is humbly submitted as audio systems "food for thought".

Klipsch out.

Boy, those are nice looking............they are not a SET amp?.. They have more power than SET?........If I knew, I wouldn't ask...............Would something like them be Plug and Play, or is more equipment needed to complete the unit? (pre amp, etc.).............still thinking about tubes..........

Boy, those are nice looking............they are not a SET amp?.. They have more power than SET?........If I knew, I wouldn't ask...............Would something like them be Plug and Play, or is more equipment needed to complete the unit? (pre amp, etc.).............still thinking about tubes..........

You would need a preamp with the VRDs as well as a meter to keep the output tube bias in range.

If you invest in those other requirements, the VRDs will reward you.

Rick

These are push/pull amps that are capable of 60wpc in Ultralinear mode and 30wpc in Triode. There is a toggle switch on each amp to select the mode. These amps are the bomb! They will rock your world and push those Heresy's with not a problem!

You will still need a preamp as these only supply power. Might I recommend the Juicy Music Audio Peach (I know you don't spin any vinyl ;-) or the Merlin if you only have a couple of input sources. These go hand-in-hand with the VRD's!

Mike

Some of you guys in northern NY need to put a gathering together so you can all get a chance to hear some different setups. This will let you know what you like and you can take it from there. I bought my VRD's used for $1700 shipped, and it was some of the best money I have ever spent. [:D]

Mike

Mike, your right, and where I'm located, Mass. ,Vermont , even New Hampshire isn't that far away, even western New York isn't far away. I don't think my H2's and KG4's driven by a small Sony receiver would draw much of a crowd, do you? Works for me..................I can't compare to those fine systems many of you lucky forum members have..........nor would I pretend to...............but, I Love the Music as much as anyone.............

I would caution you on spending so much money just to get a feel for tubes.

I think you would be better of with an integrated Scott or Fisher as

your first foray into tubes. If you dont like it you can sell it

for pretty much what you paid.

I'll be in Syracuse and Edwards, New York at some point in

August. I could lend you a tube amp to try out, but you'd

have to be prepared to spend a few bucks on real good packing and the

cost of shipping to get it back to me. (tube gear tends to weigh a lot).

I think you would be better of with an integrated Scott or Fisher as your first foray into tubes. If you dont like it you can sell it for pretty much what you paid.

I'll be in Syracuse and Edwards, New York at some point in August. I could lend you a tube amp to try out, but you'd have to be prepared to spend a few bucks on real good packing and the cost of shipping to get it back to me. (tube gear tends to weigh a lot).

Mr. Thebes, I think your post was directed to me, that is a very generous offer, and I thank you for it, and appreciate the fact you would even consider such a thing. You really don't know me from Adam, and you are a very trusting guy, and that is very refreshing in this day and age. Thank You for considering such a thing.

You point about the Scott or Fisher is well taken, and funny thing is, it echoes exactly what NOSValves has advised me on this subject. At this point in time, making such a purchase is beyond me, and your right, the intergrated amp would be a smarter purchase all around. Someday, just not today, damn it. Which brings me to this, Thank You for your offer, but at this time I'll pass ...............But, let me add, people like yourself, and many others are why I hang around this forum, I'm not the most technical guy, don't have the great equipment many of you own, and from time to time I get alittle cranky on here, but you guys are alot of help, and all I can say is, THANK YOU..........................Let me know when your in the Syracuse area, Hey, you never know, it's about 3 hours from here...................Are the Twins traveling with you??.....................

I

think you would be better of with an integrated Scott or Fisher as your

first foray into tubes. If you dont like it you can sell it for

pretty much what you paid.

I'll be in Syracuse and

Edwards, New York at some point in August. I could lend you

a tube amp to try out, but you'd have to be prepared to spend a few

bucks on real good packing and the cost of shipping to get it back to

me. (tube gear tends to weigh a lot).

Mr. Thebes, I think your post was directed to me, that is a very

generous offer, and I thank you for it, and appreciate the fact you

would even consider such a thing. You really don't know me from Adam,

and you are a very trusting guy, and that is very refreshing in this

day and age. Thank You for considering such a thing.

You point about the Scott or Fisher is well taken, and funny thing

is, it echoes exactly what NOSValves has advised me on this subject. At

this point in time, making such a purchase is beyond me, and your

right, the intergrated amp would be a smarter purchase all

around. Someday, just not today, damn it. Which brings me to this,

Thank You for your offer, but at this time I'll pass

...............But, let me add, people like yourself, and many others

are why I hang around this forum, I'm not the most technical guy, don't

have the great equipment many of you own, and from time to time I get

alittle cranky on here, but you guys are alot of help, and all I can

say is, THANK YOU..........................Let me know when your in the

Syracuse area, Hey, you never know, it's about 3 hours from

here...................Are the Twins traveling with

you??.....................

Members helping members really makes the Forum a great place!

Larry

oldbuckster,

I was in EXACTLY the same spot as you...happy with my SS gear and not wanting anything else (at the moment [;)] ) but CURIOUS as to all the talk about Tubes...as I grew up listening to Tubes I thought I'd give it a try when Daddy Dee offered up for sale on this Forum his sweet sounding EICO HF-81...before that was delivered however a nice deal on VRDs and a BlueBerry MkI from robster on this Forum came up and based solely on recommendations here...I bit on that too...

The EICO arrived first and I got to listen to it for a few days...I was totally knocked off my feet by the sound...many times people talk about BIG differences in changes they make to their gear...I have had limited success in getting differences when changing my gear...possibly because my stuff wasn't so bad to begin with or because perhaps the "big jump" wasn't ever there...Not so with Tubes (at least in my experience) and I have been a VERY happy camper since...good luck with your quest and we are here for you as you all have been here for me!

Enjoy!

Bill

Yes Oldbuckster I was talking about you. Sorry I'm just replying

but I've been working outside for the last two weeks and the heatwave

has left me to tired to type.

Just in case the PM stuff is still not working right I';m posting most of my reply to your message here:

"I got a litle carried away over the last couple of years and have

several tube pieces that don't get much time in my system which I can

lend out. Right now a nearby forum member has one of my fisher 500c's

and I lent another one to RPlace for a couple of months back in the

spring. I think after awihle it's fairly easy to determine which folks

on the forum can be trusted and I certainly feel that way about you.

I' don't think I'll make it as far as Saratoga but thanks for the

offer. I'm going to be visiting my mom and rest of my family in

Syracuse, then off for a few days fishing at Trout Lake in Edwards and

then to my brothers camp at Big Moose Lake up near Old Forge.

Saratoga's a beautiful part of the state, you're lucky to be living

there.

If you want to dabble with tubes I would keep an eye on the Syracuse

Craigslist. There is a woman there who seems to always have some tube

gear on sale, and she also sells on ebay so she'd know how to ship

stuff properly if you didn't want to make the drive. I bought a Bogen

monoblock from her at Christmastime and although the tech she uses to

rehab this stuff does an absolutely minimal job what she sells will

probably be safe engouh to use for awhile until you could decide to

either keep it and send it to Craig or just resell it."

Marty was so nice to lend me his 500c while my Scott was being fixed. It sounded just fine and having a FM tuner made me think it would be the ultimate garage tuner.

It is a beast in the weight department.