Anyone Looking for NOSValaves VRDs?

I loaned a 299B to a forum member once a couple of years ago.[:@]

Rick

I suspect there is a story here of mice and men, of love and loss, war and peace, treachery and betrayel.

So dish, I'm all ears.

Kudret, I kept it as stock as possible for his test to compare it stock to stock with his EICOs. The required saftey parts; the bias supply diode bridge and capacitors were replaced and the dropping resistor changed to keep the proper voltage; the coupling capacitors were replaced with like value parts to keep the sound as original as possible and a few resistors were replaced with like values. The only circuit modification was to convert the bias adjustment from output tube pair to individual output tube. This allows a wider selection of NOS or used tubes to be tried, eliminating the need for critically matched pairs. (This is a mod suggested by NOS Valves both here and on the HH Scott forum.)

If I ever got it back, which I now doubt, I planned a more extensive rework such as replacing PS caps and increasing the capicity slightly; a more thourough rebuild of the pre-amp section; and adjusting the value of the coupling capacitors to allow more low frequencies to pass. (Turntable rumble was a greater problem in 1959 than we see today so the lows were limited.)

Rick

Rick,

Does this certain ex-Forum member refuse to answer your emails or phone calls? Or does he give you a run-around about finding a suitable box to return it in? Or . . . ?

I think you're going to have to raise a fuss about this if you want your amp returned.

Hey Thebes,

Where abouts are you from in Syracuse? I'm from Solvay originally....and no I never ate a cat and don't know anyone that ever did (for the rest of you the cat thing is an inside story....and nevermind![:)])

Did you live there long enough to remember Superior Sound (the Klipsch dealer back in the 70s/80s) ?

I can't help but add my "sent something to kelly" story. I sent him a bunch of tubes once, some 6SN7, 2A3 and some rectifiers. I told him he could keep everything he liked and distribute the rest to other forum members, all were highly regarded tubes. I specifically asked him to do me the favor of forwarding one rectifier, a rare and expensive one, to another forum member (to save me money on shipping and each package cost a LOT to ship since I live in Central America)...needless to say the forum member never got the rectifier. Ugh.

Some times you get burned on the forum, mostly you don't I have lent, traded, bought, equipment from other forum members and except for that one "kelly" experience I have had no problems whatsoever. Hell if shipping was not so expensive outta here I would send a bunch of my closet collection (amps, preamps, tubes, cables, etc.) to other forum members to try or trade!

Tony

I can't help but add my "sent something to kelly" story. I sent him a bunch of tubes once, some 6SN7, 2A3 and some rectifiers. I told him he could keep everything he liked and distribute the rest to other forum members, all were highly regarded tubes. I specifically asked him to do me the favor of forwarding one rectifier, a rare and expensive one, to another forum member (to save me money on shipping and each package cost a LOT to ship since I live in Central America)...needless to say the forum member never got the rectifier. Ugh.

Some times you get burned on the forum, mostly you don't I have lent, traded, bought, equipment from other forum members and except for that one "kelly" experience I have had no problems whatsoever. Hell if shipping was not so expensive outta here I would send a bunch of my closet collection (amps, preamps, tubes, cables, etc.) to other forum members to try or trade!

Tony

Ugly stories. I have bought and sold quite a bit on this forum (probably more than on audiogon) and have had people who don't even know me really go out of their way to help me (thanks Erik!!).

I like to think of this as a safe harbor on the Internet and hate to see this happen.

Hey Thebes,

Where abouts are you from in Syracuse? I'm from Solvay

originally....and no I never ate a cat and don't know anyone that ever

did (for the rest of you the cat thing is an inside story....and

nevermind![:)])

Did you live there long enough to remember Superior Sound (the Klipsch dealer back in the 70s/80s) ?

Don't remember Superior Sound, wasn't much into gear back in the

day. I do remember Solvay though, worked a summer in the chemical

plant and another in the steel mill. I also remember going to the

blue collar bars along the main drag and availing myself of 15 cent

beers in frosted mugs and 40 cent shots. There was another place

that at lunchtime you could get an Italian sub sandwich and a

quart of beer for a buck. Moved out of Syracuse after college (Oswego)

and worked for a number of years for Jim Hanley on Capitol HIll so I

was back in town a lot. My whole family is still up there so I

get up there twice a year these days.

Rick, that sucks bigtime. You got an address on that clown and

does he live near me? A baseball bat concentrates the memory

wonderfully.

Thebes,

Ah the good old days of Solvay. [:D] Things are very different now as you probably know.

My parents and other relatives and friends are still there so I do roughly the same as you. I get more visitors than I visit though, because everyone loves the sunny and warm south. Personally, after all those winters I don't care if only see snow on TV for the rest of my life. When I moved they fought over my snow blower.

Funny, I went to Oswego as well.

Alumni of the Class of 1971. Even in those days I was a legend in

my own mind. They were supposed to put up a statue but I'm not

sure since I've never received an invitation for the unveiling.