Recommended Center Channel Speaker for Forte II's

austinls

The correct timbre matching Klipsch center channel for those Forte' II's is the Academy. There just happens to be three of them on eBay right now finished in Walnut Oil. One has a bum woofer and the guy put screws on the bottom of the others to mount them on a wall and they have some water rings on them which can be removed. Typically the Academy sells anywhere from $400 to as high as $900 but they are selling lower as of late so now is the time to buy one.

If you buy all three on eBay you could use the other two as your rear speakers and have an incredible timbre matched HT. Maybe the guy will work you a deal for all three, this is the second time he listed them and he lowered the price significantly and last I look he still had no bids on them. The replacement woofer is available from Klipsch parts I would imagine for $50-$60 I would guess call 1-800-Klipsch to confirm if interested.

Don't skimp on the center it is the most important speaker in HT handling 75% or more of the dialogue.

The Academy is a fine $350 center. If you are willing to pay more than that, seriously look into (splitting a pair?) another Forte II . There is a WORLD of difference when you have 3 Forte IIs across the front ... don't let anybody tell you different ... go audition for yourself (actually ANY system with the same three speakers across the front will give you a pretty good idea of why this configuration is better). The Academy is an acceptable compromise ... BUT THAT IS ALL IT IS.

• Moderators

The Academy is a fine $350 center. If you are willing to pay more than that, seriously look into (splitting a pair?) another Forte II . There is a WORLD of difference when you have 3 Forte IIs across the front ... don't let anybody tell you different ... go audition for yourself (actually ANY system with the same three speakers across the front will give you a pretty good idea of why this configuration is better). The Academy is an acceptable compromise ... BUT THAT IS ALL IT IS.

What he said !

I use 3 Forte ll's across the front, there is no better center if you have the room.

That was a steal for $300. Last year at this time, they were going for double. If I didn't already have one, I would had hit the button on that one. I did snag the Sony ES cd player from the same seller.

Actually, having paid $175 for mine through an eBay auction that I was the high bidder, I have been watching these since before this time last year and have seen several go through in the $200 range this time last year.

One thing is for sure that the hype on this Forum does contribute to higher selling prices on eBay after an auction is posted here, (I do not know how many times an auction I was interested in was going fine until someone posted it hear, and then all hell broke lose) especially after the uninformed hypers claim something to be a bargain (and that if it were not for the position of the moon or some equally feeble excuse, that they themselves would bid in it), which is precisely why I have saved copies of the last 3000+ eBay Klipsch Heritage speaker auctions (including 60+ Academy speakers) since May 2005, so that I would know the real average selling price for the Klipsch Heritage floor standing speakers.

Take it from a guy who has a proven track record of putting his money where his mouth is, $300.00 is not a "steal" on a Klipsch Academy.

... One thing is for sure that the hype on this Forum does contribute to higher selling prices on eBay after an auction is posted here ...

I posted THIS particular link because I thought the "Buy It Now" price was FAIR. It would have been a shame if someone low-bid it and removed the Buy It Now option for anyone who was really set on an Academy. That was the only reason.

Most of us purchase and USE the speakers we purchase, and are not looking for the ultra dirt cheap deals just to hoard Klipsch speakers from unsuspecting and unknowledgeable sellers. I saw your ads on AudioGon Steve wow up to $1K for a pair of Klipschorn's whew big spender!

Would I like to have one at $175 sure I would. But I would not part with either of mine for less than $400 apiece.

$300 is a fair and realistic price for an Academy in good to excellent condition in my book.

I vote for the forte II center. I have an academy with a K stack, but that wasn't close to another forte II center. Size does matter. So if you have the room. I bought a pair of forte II's for 500 sight unseen. Well a mistake, they were pretty rough, so I use the best looking one for center and the other is in the back room waiting to be used for parts. The Academy I may use in my upstairs sytem someday when I upgrade it. The academy is a darn good speaker also it just isn't quite the same as another forte II.

austinls, welcome to the forum.

For the most part you have already received some very good advice. The Academy is the correct and best "center channel" speaker for a home theater with Forte II mains. Going with any other center, be it a klipsh or other brand, will not match as well timbre wise. As pointed out earlier don't skimp on this speaker as it is the most important one in a home theater.

I put center channel in quotes because that is what it is. If you have a dedicated room, or one that will allow another Forte II under your display device (CRT TV, rear projector TV, screen, etc.) then by all means go with another Forte II, assuming that look will fly with other family members. However, don't believe the statement that an Academy is a compromise. Any other center channel is a compromise in my opinion. A home theater with Forte II mains and an Academy center will be one fine system.

You will find most of the people here, myself included, are a bit over the top so they looking for the one tenth of one percent solution. That is fine by me...but I would hate to see you pass on an Academy this time of year when prices are typically low because you got the impression that the Academy is a compromise.

Best of luck!

Well, first, it is obvious to me that there is passion among Klipsch owners. I have had the Forte II's, a set of KG 5.2's and a SW10 sub for 12 years. They have been great speakers, but I have not had a need to look into additonal speakers since then. Thanks to all of you that have offered facts and opinions to my inquiry.

I have a decent size home, but definatley no room for a Forte II center speaker! Based on the quality of sound from these speakers, I have no doubt a third one across the front would sound great.

With that said, I have two questions. 1) What are the dimensions of the Academy. It appears very large, too. 2) If it is large, what is the second choice among you enthusiasts?

See here for specs & dimensions:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=119&s=specs

There are no other Klipsch speakers that will match the timbre of the Forte' II's correctly.

Compromises would be a Klipsch KG 2.2V or 2.5V or a KV-3 but you owe it to yourself to make the Academy work you will be GLAD you did. Remember the center channel speaker is the hub to which all the other speakers are anchored and is the most important one since it reproducing the majority of all the dialogue.

I totally agree with the above post. After having had FIIs for a year with a less then perfect center then buying an Academy back in 91 or 92 all I can say is I wish I had not waited that year.

The Academy is THE speaker for you FIIs. You simply must find a way to make the Academy work. If not, put the FIIs to work in another music only room and start fresh with 5.1 or 7.1 Klipsch reference speakers. You can do it in steps if you need to, buying new from a dealer will insure you have access to timbre matched speakers for some time.

Let us know what you end up with.

Having experienced BOTH SIDES of the argumment, please let me add:

I ran a pair of Forte I's up front with an Academy center for 1.5 years. The Academy was/is a VERY VERY close match to the Forte (I or II), and I would recommend it to ANYONE looking for a center with timbre match, IF you can find one, and IF your budget limits you. You CANNOT go wrong with this speaker, BUT......

IF you have the capacity/budget, try to get another Forte II. I RECENTLY replaced my Academy with another Forte, and, well.....IT CAN'T be any better. While the Academy is a FINE speaker in its own right, the Forte recovered some CRITICAL bass that I had clearly been missing using the Academy. Keep in mind that I did NOT change my crossover point - 80Hz - between the two. The difference is incredible, seamless and lifelike.

The Academy, in a pinch, is the BEST "non-identical" speaker to use

Another Forte II is the BEST option

Chris

Chris, you must have missed the original posters comments on the last page.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

>>I have a decent size home, but definatley no room for a Forte II center speaker! Based on the quality of sound from these speakers, I have no doubt a third one across the front would sound great.<<

This is way FRZN and I were encouraging him to get an Academy and not some other center (not floor standing) speaker.

My bad - though my point was to state that an identical speaker really is best - with the Academy a CERTAIN winner otherwise; you guys are right on. I got lucky with the available space and a pair to split, and could never go back.

Chris