OT: New Sunglasses

Indyjeep

So its that time of year again, my bday(the big 22), and my GF is bugging me about what to get me for it. She wants to get me new sunglasses because my 3 Year old Oakley Half-Jackets are showing their age. Im looking at the Why 8.2 or 8.1 from Oakley. Any other recommendations are welcome. They will have to be small because they prolly will go behind a full-face motorcycle helmet. The last pair I bought was from an outdoor store in Indy called Galyans. And a year after I purchased them they went out of business. And I dont have a receipt, so no getting those fixed or refitted.

*Edit* and the price will have to be under $200. Thanks.

Adam.

Anything but Oakley's. Seriously, you had a pair last 3 years? That must be a new record.

I'd look at Maui Jims if you want High Quality, not too expensive sunglasses. You can't go wrong with Ray-Bans, but if she is willing to spend the extra bucks...

I bought a pair of Revo H2O's in 1992 .

At the time I questioned my sanity .

$160.00 on sale . Surely I would end up sitting on them or something else stupid .

And now , more than 14 years later , I still use them almost every day .

As you can guess , I give Revo sunglasses my highest endorsement !

And now , since I've posted this , will probably break them tommorow ... [:'(]

to be honest, my best sunglasses were 15 dollar no name sunglasses that fit better on my nose than any name brand sunglass I ever wore. This includes my brother's d&g, armani, vesace, etc..... I had a pair of oakleys that were nice until the plastic arm broke..... They were actually nice but they were bad when you start to sweat as those glasses are tight fit and they would fog up easy. Oh well, my best advice is to go to the drug store [:P]

I bought a pair of Revo H2O's in 1992 .

At the time I questioned my sanity .

$160.00 on sale . Surely I would end up sitting on them or something else stupid .

And now , more than 14 years later , I still use them almost every day .

As you can guess , I give Revo sunglasses my highest endorsement !

And now , since I've posted this , will probably break them tommorow ... [:'(]

I bought a pair of Revo's at 1/2 price for like $90 at my optometrists. The gorillas handling baggage at the 2005 Hope tour broke them. They were great and just the right look for me. But I loved their real glass optics and the tint was fantastic.

famous aviator style, of course. BTW, very cool of your girlfriend to have nice new shades in mind.

Isn't that the poster some member of the forum posted they were giving away free? Could never find an address to get one.........................Maxell Tapes isn't it?.................

I prefer amber, which is harder to find than green or gray. I also like amber mirrors, but those are rather rare. My current sunglasses are $10 polycarbonate amber shop glasses from Home Depot. I am hard on my sunglasses, so in the past I have bought the two for $5 specials at the French market in New Orleans. I'm going there this weekend (yeah!) and maybe I will go by and see if those folks are still there.

Either pair of the Oakley's you are looking are are fine, I looked at them for a prescription pair and they seem well made and durable. As alternates, I've got a 15 yr. old pair of Serengetti aviators with the cable temples you can't shake loose and the orange lenses (with the copper flash that changes to dark brown in bright sunlight) make them year 'round wearers. And my latest are a pair of Maui Jim's Kapalua GLS copper with titanium frames which are waiting for prescription lenses to be made, they are almost as indestructable a my regular titanium prescription frames and very comfortable for wear.

Sounds like you have a lot of choices, best of luck!

I would also go for Revo. I got a pair for myself for college graduation, almost 15 years ago now. They are the classic avaiator style that just came back into style again with cool blue tint. Revo lenses are some of the best uv filters out there and mine have held up very well.

I am still wearing my Carrera Porche Design aviator sunglasses from the 80's with the interchangeable lenses. I have a black pair and a gold pair, they come in hard plastic cases with storage for the additional lenses inside. All the big stars used to wear them they work so well and I have yet to break them so I just keep wearing them even though they may be out of style. They were really pricey years ago.

I think they look sharp though!

Wow! I just checked eBay I guess they are not that out of style they are still selling for good money. The interchangeable lenses are great for different driving conditions, the amber lenses really clear things up nicely.

I had a pair of the Carrera fold-ups and a regular gold pair. They were the best sunglasses I've ever owned. I lost the 8 year old fold-ups while floating and my mower digested the gold pair when they were 12 years old. I now have some Nike Flexon framed ones that are tough and very light. After the good luck with the Flexon frames, I got a pair for reading glasses. I then bought a spare pair of frames on eBay for $35.00 and had my optomitrist put bifocal shaded glass lens in them.

Been wearing Revo's since 1988... until this year.

They're now owned by RayBan (I've owned plenty of those too) and the quality of the glass and frames has gone to crap.

I recommend looking for some vintage Revos in good condition on ebay.

I never, ever, EVER thought I would own Joke-leys...

but I put a pair of teh Gascans on my skull and the fit me perfectly. I'm not too happy about the grey lense (I like the orangey looking one) but I was in a pinch.

famous aviator style, of course. BTW, very cool of your girlfriend to have nice new shades in mind.

Isn't that the poster some member of the forum posted they were giving away free? Could never find an address to get one.........................Maxell Tapes isn't it?.................

Yes, that's a copy of the vintage Maxell poster. I've looked around a little for info on the new one, which is supposedly available free. There's quite alot of material on google, mostly posts on different forums about the new poster. I was not able to make a successful contact with Maxell on the phone or e-mail in requesting the new poster. One thing I think I did see was a pic of the new poster. It "recalls" the vintage theme, but is not an exact copy of the original, which I had hoped for.

There are some reproductions of the original and an occasional original poster on Ebay. The repros run about $20 and look pretty good.