Speaker Wire.. What do you recommend

kenjidm

I am confused. Ok, so I have the Reference 35 series (RF-35, RC-36, RB-35, RS-35, 12" sub dont know the model). I am drawn to the fact that there are so many types of speaker wire out there. Bi-wire to regular, to even "center channel speaker wire".. Special speaker wire for your center channel??... On top of that, they have your regular, to medium to high end in each category.

The ultimate question is, does expensive speaker wire really make a difference? What would you recommend me?

Please help before i get white hairs!!!!

I brought some cable from bluejeancables.com I think but I got the 10 gauge wire and I think its overkill. There are alot out there and to be honest some are overly priced and some have sketchy science behind their benefits. We can start off with material. It is true that silver is the best conductor of electricity and heat. But silver also tarnishes hence you have to coat the silver with another material that is less conductive (think restrictor plate in race cars) but a very close second is copper which oxidizes slower than silver (unless if you live near the beach I guess? third I believe is gold which you may ask huh? since its used in important nasa wiring and such. It is used do to the fact it does not tarnish or oxidize. but again $$$ with silver too. then I believe is aluminum.

Then we can talk about shielding. Most use a plastic coating that may have problems as the clear jackets of even monster may turn green over time.

Then we can talk about gauge. Normal fine gauges range from 12-16. The thicker the gauge the more distance it you can run without impedience issues. I believe 12 gauge can handle 100 feet runs and 16 can handle 25 feet runs.

Then we can talk about bananas or spades. Mostly is just for convience if you hook and unhook speakers from different amps alot. Its alot easier to push a banana into the speaker than unscrew and screw again. Spades make it somewhat easier but imho I think it acts as a restrictor plate again as its probably made of a different material or was not the exact type of metal used for the speaker wire.

hope you don't get white hairs. Relax its only speakers.

If you need to buy some wire, check into this at radio shack

2782751 1-pair 10' spkr wire 8.97 regualr price 29.97

2782752 1-pair 20' spkr wire 9.97 regualr price 39.99

2782762 50' roll flat spkr wire 8.97 regualr price 39.99

The first 2 is the clear monster XP HP stuff.

This has resulted in thousands of posts here.

Bottom line: just go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a decent gauge copper zip cord or conductor. 16 guage is good.

Buy by the spool and you'll be cool [:D]

Agreed. I have wire from Lowes & bluejeanscable. The bluejeanscable came with both leads in a white protective jacket which blended with my base board & fireplace nicely.

I really like having a clean and safe (from shorts) installation behind the AVR where there are lots of cables and connectors are close together. The Blue Jeans cable end connectors also came with heat sink in red and black and made for a really nice installation.

Speaker wire is speaker wire, make sure it's thick enough, and and it's nice if one wire insulator is ribbed or marked while the other is not, so you can keep polarity straight.

Banana Plugs and Spade Lugs

Personally, I'm not a believer in high end speaker wire.

Just go to home depot and pick up a spool of speaker wire. Last one I got was 250 ft of 14 gauge. Wired up the HT in the living room, the 2 channel setup in the bedroom, and I still have a ton left.

• Like 1

Not wanting to start a "snake oil" debate, I am a tweaker if there ever was one. I recently switched from a very thick monster speaker wire( top of their line from 10 years ago)to a thinner silver wire I bought on auction from Audiogon(I doubled up the run). After a week of break in, it is so far superior to my previous cable. I also changed out my power cords on my power amp, cd transport and d/a processor. Again, quite an improvement.

Not wanting to start a "snake oil" debate, I am a tweaker if there ever was one. I recently switched from a very thick monster speaker wire( top of their line from 10 years ago)to a thinner silver wire I bought on auction from Audiogon(I doubled up the run). After a week of break in, it is so far superior to my previous cable. I also changed out my power cords on my power amp, cd transport and d/a processor. Again, quite an improvement.

If anyone can prove that wire improves with 'break in', I'll EAT a Cornwall!

...furiously cleaning coffee off my keyboard and trying not to literally fall out of my chair laughing!!

Thanks!!

...furiously cleaning coffee off my keyboard and trying not to literally fall out of my chair laughing!!

Thanks!!

STEVE be Nice.........................

Michael, your Cornwalls are safe. There is NO difference in

wire if it is properly sized for the run. Lets not even get into the VODO of

POWER cords[:P] There is no way that 6 feet of "premium" wire is

going to do anything to correct 50 miles of Edison distribution wires and all

the interference that everything that is connected to those wires adds. JEESH!