OT: Hockey's KEN HOLLAND must be smoking CRACK!

picky

The Detroit Red Wings' general manager, Ken Holland must be smoking crack these days: He announced Monday that, Dominic Hasek is their "new" goalie.

WTF? THAT'S his BIG ANSWER to getting rid of Manny Legace? OMG! [:o]

We're doomed!

I don't know about any "News Flash", but just to demostrate his "confidence", Holland already discounted Hasek's ability to stay healthy as he threw in a disclaimer during his announcement that said if Hasek does have to leave during the season due to a groin injury, we'll have our younger goalies to rely on. ....um, Osgood? Are you freaking kidding me? [:(]

Although, I've liked Ozzie in the past, he's been known to self-destruct during key games, just as Patty Roy used to. Ozzie also tends to falter in the playoffs, just as Legace did last year. With all due respect to Ozzie, Legace is a much better backup goalie than Ozzie ever was. Many are quick to blame Legace for the Wings being bumped in the second round last year. However, he had very little help defensively in front of the net and goalies aren't relied upon for their goal-scoring abilities. It takes a biscuit in the basket to win a game.

My point is, although Legace had problems during the playoffs last year, two things stand: (1) It was his first shot as a starter in the playoffs. (2) He played a record-setting regular season his first time as starter, so why not again? Osgood's never had a year like that.

It is my opinion that Holland was too hasty and caved too easily to the fans and media uproar to rid the Wings of Legace. He essentially endorsed everyone else's claim that Manny was the "Whipping Boy" for the loss of the playoffs. I guess everyone had forgotten what it's like to have a job for the first time and fail just because Manny has been with the Wings for so long? With thast said, I think the Wings would be far better off this coming seacond with a Legace/Osgood goalie lineup that the Hasek/Osgood one they have now.

You ask, "why couldn't Ozzie do it again?" That's a great question. Maybe he could. But, I sincerely don't think he's got it in his heart any more. Ozzie lost that fire a few years ago when the Wings showed him they didn't think enough of him to retain him. Since then, goaltending in Detroit has been a fiasco. That is, until Legace earned the starter's position last season. Everyone in Detroit was electrified by Manny's performance all season long. It's amazing to me how fickle the fans became in the playoffs.

So, okay, Manny is gone and Dom is back. Will I watch hockey this year? Are you kidding me? I live in the great, white north: watching hockey is like breathing air around here. I will enjoy watching every game regardless of who is in goal. I expect we'll see a completely different game this season, with Stevie Y retiring and perhaps Lidstrom as Captain. Shanny's gone and of course, Dom will be flopping around the crease in his famous "rubber-spined" fashion. I am resolved to the fact that hockey isn't like Burger King: You can't have it your way. But, hockey is hockey and regardless of who suits up, I will enjoy it just the same. But, you must admit: We all love to see our favorites out on the ice, don't we?

I posted to this thread yesterday, and for some reason it didn't show up???? Anyhow what I wanted to say yesterday was that, Detroit apparently did not learn a thing from last seasons a$$ whoopin in the playoffs. Youth and speed are what is going to win in the new NHL. I have seen very little evidence that they have yet addressed those issues. I am also wondering WTF Jerry Jones was thinking when he signed TO???

Patrick: I could not agree more about the Wings' need to embrace youth on their lineup. I'm sorry but could you please elaborate for dummies like me: "Jerry Jones / TO" (???) Sorry, dude. -Glenn

Patrick: I could not agree more about the Wings' need to embrace youth on their lineup. I'm sorry but could you please elaborate for dummies like me: "Jerry Jones / TO" (???) Sorry, dude. -Glenn

In case you aren't joking: Jerry Jones=Dallas Cowboys owner of questionable repute/TO=Terrell Owens wide receiver of questionable merit.

oldtimer: Nope. I'm not joking. Some of us still live in caves. I know absolutely zero about football. I can't even name one team member on the Detroit Lions. Thanks for the explanation.

On a similar note, how about the Stars taking a flyer (pun not exactly intended) on Eric Lindros? Talk about another playoff collapse team. Turco has yet to prove he can pull an Eddie Belfour act and win, plus he had a defense that left him hung out to dry.

gonzp: Hey, no problem, man. I simply didn't know.

oldtimer: Yeah, Marty sure had a tough time filling Eddie's skates last season. The Wings took a long hard look at Eddie this summer, too. At first, I was glad he went to the Panthers. But, that was before we got Hasek. Now, I think I'd rather had Eddie! Crap! (Eddie lives in Michigan, too.) Geez, I didn't know about Lindros and Dallas.

Well, it's official: It appears that Manny Legace (the Wings' fired goalie, for those of you whom are wondering) will be battling Curtis Sanford for the starting goalie position as the St. Louis Blues signed Manny to a one-year deal yeasterday. I'm glad to see Manny get a decent job. Up till now, it seemd as if he wouldn't have a ride at all next season. Although, he's part of the reason the Wings got bumped in the second round of the playoffs last season, I have no ill feelings for the man. As I've said before; Call me crazy, but I would have prefered having Legace as our starter again this year over Hasek. Good luck to Manny. I hope he earns that starter's spot and kicks some Hasek arse! The Wings will face his team for the first time this season in November. That should be an interesting game if Manny starts.

He should last 30 games...if...at least he's not Mucklers headache in Ottawa anymore. If he stopped flopping around so much as an older Goaltender the only thing he'd pull is.............

I just hope Roloson isn't another done in a season, knee injuries are not good on older Goalies..I wish Edmonton would have snagged Manny and traded Roli.

Manni and Jussi would have been a great combo, even if we had his # last year in the playoffs, he's a good Goalie....[;)]

Picky, I think you are being way too hard on crack! Drugs don't hire Hasek, people do....

It seems more to me that he has some kind of machine hooked up to his brain, it records his dreams, and then the organization acts on them. Hasek won a cup with one of the most dominating teams in front of him in hockey history, especially the defense. Without that again, well...you know the rest.

At least the Wings re-signed Chris Osgood, he still needs a solid chance to prove himself and away from injury, but a good ole Alberta boy and good Goalie. I'd put my money on him over Hasek anyday, and bet he shows Hasek up to become the starter.....